Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 08:14 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Interesting idea. Not saying bad but the downsides I see would be:
1) Extreme penalties in contracts for infidelity like 100-0 asset splits and non visitation of children. When someone with no intention of cheating brings up the penalties are overly harsh, they are accused of wanting to cheat.
2) Filling court rooms up with long trials.
Its call a prenup.
There really isnt a written contract for marriage. Your vows are your verbal contract.
Now there is a contract for ending the marriage. The verbiage is available via. your state laws. Divorce contracts are negotiable as one size does not fit all.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM

430 posts, read 284,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Marriage vows say to stay faithful, don't they? And clothes aren't natural either. But people should still wear them!
Well said.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Marriage vows say to stay faithful, don't they? And clothes aren't natural either. But people should still wear them!

Do people always follow vows, laws, promises, etc.? No. Also, yes clothes, or at least some form of protection from the elements is natural. The ancients wore animal skins, fur and other forms of clothing.

I don't believe the percentages of any of the studies on affairs as I don't think people answer them honestly, even when anonymous, but I may be wrong.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 AM

6,371 posts, read 2,921,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Do people always follow vows, laws, promises, etc.?.
No. Because laws aren't natural. So why do we get upset when someone breaks them and kills a bunch of people? JEEZ!

Old 02-28-2020, 09:25 AM

2,264 posts, read 974,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
. . . Your vows are your verbal contract. . . . The verbiage is available via. your state laws. Divorce contracts are negotiable as one size does not fit all.
Marriage vows are a legal verbal contract?

Quote:
I, ____, take you, ____, to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife), to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.
I don't think so.

Quote:
The verbiage is available via. your state laws.
You'd need to be a lawyer to figure out what they say so that's just a dodge. The real reason the most important contract most people will ever enter into isn't available in clearly written form to be read and understood before signing is because "marriage" would become nearly obsolete overnight it it were.

As for divorce contracts being negotiable, if you wait until a divorce to negotiate a contract it's already too late -- at least for one party to the unwritten contract.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
People need to behave. Honestly, is it that hard to do?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,390,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Monogamy is not natural.

If human beings accepted that, fewer people would be so pissed off and upset when their spouse "cheats" on them.
If it isn't natural for you, then practice polygamy - no one is stopping you.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:37 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,246,368 times
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where everyone decides to do what they feel like.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:10 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Marriage vows are a legal verbal contract?

I don't think so.

You'd need to be a lawyer to figure out what they say so that's just a dodge. The real reason the most important contract most people will ever enter into isn't available in clearly written form to be read and understood before signing is because "marriage" would become nearly obsolete overnight it it were.

As for divorce contracts being negotiable, if you wait until a divorce to negotiate a contract it's already too late -- at least for one party to the unwritten contract.
Did I say legal contract? Is a verbal contract even legal?

You can go on line and read divorce laws per state. It is really pretty self explanatory.
How do you expect a marriage contract to be detailed when things change throughout the marriage, income, jobs, assets, debt, children? Its a basic concept. 1 + 1 =1. Once married EVERYTHING acquired from that point on by either of you belongs to both of you jointly. When you divorce you decide how to divide it all equitably. Negotiation is part of the divorce procedure. Most people understand that.

Marriage isnt for everyone.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
There are species of birds which mate with one male and nest with another male.
There are also species of birds that pair up and mate for life and if their mate dies, they typically do not find another.

Be a Cockatoo.

There is a reason people decided to partner up for life and for Christians a reason the Bible tells you to do so. - It makes your life better (if you do it right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies