Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:08 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

I don't know what video y'all apparently saw, but the one in the link is inconclusive. It appears there's a railing there, and I know of multiple buildings that have a railing, then an additional window out from that out of arms reach. From what I saw, it looks like he leaned on the rail to see what the view was like, then held the girl on top of the rail so she could see. Maybe if the video were clearer we'd have a better idea (seriously? My 2014 cellphone has far superior quality to the garbage we see in the video), or maybe one of the other 13 angles there apparently are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 09:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I feel bad for the parents.

I think it is very likely the grandfather was lying to the parents too. I cant see him telling them that he dangled their daughter out the window and dropped her. The parents probably found out at the time the video surfaced, at which time, the lawyer convinced them that the cruise line is still responsible.
yeah, which to me is understandable. He would be having trouble living with himself and wouldn't want his son or daughter and spouse to hate him too.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I don't know what video y'all apparently saw, but the one in the link is inconclusive. It appears there's a railing there, and I know of multiple buildings that have a railing, then an additional window out from that out of arms reach. From what I saw, it looks like he leaned on the rail to see what the view was like, then held the girl on top of the rail so she could see. Maybe if the video were clearer we'd have a better idea (seriously? My 2014 cellphone has far superior quality to the garbage we see in the video), or maybe one of the other 13 angles there apparently are.
If it is proved that he maliciously murdered the child I hope he gets the death penalty, lethal injection, electric chair, whatever.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
What kind of a bonehead holds a small child dangling over 11 stories like that ? He was an idiot and tried to lie about what happened. Thank God there are cameras everywhere these days.
A bonehead who clearly lacks common sense, of course.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:30 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
This is probably overly cynical but still...I can't help but wonder if both the parents and grandfather weren't "in on this" with the intent of a massive lawsuit against the cruise line.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Terrible accident. No one should be punished. Grandpa feels like crap for killing granddaughter. He should have checked over the situation first, but it’s reasonable for him to have assumed it was safe. Cruise Line can’t be expected to cover the ship with cages.

Accidents happen.
I sincerely hope you aren’t around any children.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
This is partly the parents fault too. They allowed a very energetic, fast and active toddler to be under the sole supervision of its slow, out of shape, obese, possibly senile old grandpa, while in a very dangerous populated area with lots of people and 1000’s of things that could go wrong. All the while they were no where to be seen. Enjoying drinks and partying? Who knows, but the parents bear some blame here.

I love my parents and my in-laws as much as the next person, but no way would I leave them alone with a young child of mine in such a place.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:09 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd say the cruise line was at least 75% negligent just from what I read. They tried to assign the blame on the grandfather and the Puerto Rican government was also guilty of trying to protect the cruise line. I hope the family sues them both.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But his argument was that he did not know there was no glass there. The video shows he leaned over on the rail enough to know if there was a glass or not.

And forget whether or not he really knew there was a glass. Who lifts a child up to a rail to sit on and look out and lets go. Even if there had been a glass theree, why would he have let go.

It was a horrific accident. The grandfather dropped the child and then tried to blame the cruise lines....

Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd say the cruise line was at least 75% negligent just from what I read. They tried to assign the blame on the grandfather and the Puerto Rican government was also guilty of trying to protect the cruise line. I hope the family sues them both.
But it was the grandfather. He dropped the child. In the video the man looks OUT the window -- it is clear he knows there is no glass. He may have blacked out his actions just prior to his dropping (accidentally) his grandchild but he most definitely was at fault.

The family is requesting the cruise line not show the video because it is too painful. I suspect the family will drop the lawsuit -- may accept some settlement as some compensation but the cruise lines were not negligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies