Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't think President Trump's comments were about Tlaib or Omar's race, but about their belief system and loyalties. Recall how Rashida Tlaib celebrated her election victory by playing Palestinian music and wearing an Arabic headscarf? She truly seems more loyal to Islam and "Palestine", and more concerned about Islamic affairs than about America as a whole. I do think that when American and Palestinian, or American and Islamic interests conflict, she is at least also conflicted if not siding with the Islamic side. For example America's alliance with Israel is very important but she is more focused on standing up for "Palestine" than for supporting America and our allies.

I'm the son of LEGAL immigrants and am very assimilated. The exact words "go back to China" have only been used on me twice, both my minorities. There WAS one very old white woman many years ago who called me a "foreigner" but that was the one single racist incident I've had with a white person and I don't believe racism is a systemic issue or that I've faced more racism than the average American since there are plenty of white people in areas with larger minority populations who have suffered racism as well. I have several stories from Baltimore and New Orleans about THAT, for example.

Its almost always a minority, typically a Mexican or Muslim who tell me how white people will never accept me as an American and are bothered by how assimilated I am and by my Christian religion (I'm Southern Baptist which is very hated by liberals) and conservative politics. Most recently I had posted comments on a news article online where I supported President Trump, mentioned my parents are LEGAL immigrants and how I support the wall and how illegals shouldn't even be here hence Dreamers don't deserve anything from us. A guy whose profile says is a Mexican from Arizona wrote that "you will never be American no matter how bad you wish you were" and to "Go back to China". My ancestors had left China to escape leftism and I've never even been to China. I asked him why he can't be loyal to the US and consider himself American if he lived here and enjoyed everything this country gave him, and he replied that Arizona should belong to Mexico.

I will assume he's a citizen or a green hard holder because if he's illegal he totally needs to be deported ASAP. So here we have someone who lives in our country and is able to vote in our elections, yet doesn't consider himself American and puts Mexican interests before US interests. Does this NOT concern anyone SERIOUSLY? Even though I am of Chinese descent, my loyalty is to the US. I want the US to be economically and militarily stronger than China. I want us to win this trade war. I want any trade deal with China to have the US on top, the way I want every trade deal with every country to be. I certainly am not okay with China, or any other nation, taking advantage of the US like all of them have been doing.
I agree with all of this, and would only add that you are a fine example of what it means to be an American, and I applaud you!

You also provide an excellent contrast, compared to so many who claim to be Americans, but have no interest or desire in behaving like one, evidenced by those who break our laws, take advantage of our generosity, as if it is owed them, as well as those who aid and defend them.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, gotten much worse lately than only brown illegals. "We" are now questioning, and ICE detaining, brown natural born US citizens as well. Don't dare speak Spanish out in public. Go back to the country you came from. Or worse maybe, "Papers, Citizen". Of course it has always existed, but now it has been become acceptable behavior due to a certain nameless person "in charge".
That’s funny. I have something equally funny to say .... you think these democrat clowns give a crap about brown people? Just convince all these poor persecuted brown people to vote republican, and watch what would happen .... you’d see Pelosi, Schumer, AOC, and Omar all racing down to the border, pitching in and helping build that damn wall. LOL

Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
What a load of nonsense. Ever heard of MS13? The majority of those brutal and inhuman murderers are illegals. Think they are loyal to the United States? How about the members of MEChA ? How can they be loyal to the United States, when their stated objective is to take back 1/3 of the United States they claim stolen from them, which they call Aztlan!! How bout La Raza (The Race). Think they are loyal to the United States, when their motto is “for the race, everything, for the others, nothing”?

So I call your answer what it is ... dishonest, racist crap.
How do I know that YOU are loyal to America? I’m just as qualified to suspect you of being anti American as you are of others. Since you think you’re the arbiter of patriotism, then I’m an arbiter too.

What have you done to prove that you’re more loyal than anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Well you are living in an alternate universe so I believe you when you say you've never heard of an immigrant that wasn't loyal. However that doesn't meant your views are in any way a reflection of actual reality. The fact alone that people have no problem crossing the border illegally shows they have no respect for America. And what conservatives are you talking about name one? You say there are millions and I bet you cant name one without resorting to an ad hominem. Your nonsense is really wearing thin.
You. There’s one.

See. That was too easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That’s funny. I have something equally funny to say .... you think these democrat clowns give a crap about brown people? Just convince all these poor persecuted brown people to vote republican, and watch what would happen .... you’d see Pelosi, Schumer, AOC, and Omar all racing down to the border, pitching in and helping build that damn wall. LOL
Vote Republican for what? Chickens voting for Colonel Sanders. Very illogical.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Many of the liberals espousing such nonsense also are not loyal to the US and do not consider themselves Americans. In fact, they consider the term 'American' to be offensive, along with the American flag. They are truly not American in the sense that we think and are in fact traitors. Yes, they should be deported or tried and executed for treason imo.
Being an American is not offensive. It is one of the things that I am the most proud of. I love my Country.

How dare you say such things. My family has fought in every war in American history for our Country, all the way from the Revolutionary War.
You have a lot of nerve to imply that someone hate's their country, just because they have a different political perspective than yourself, that is the utmost arrogance.
And it is totally about as UN-American as you could possibly get.
I never thought that I would see the day of Americans turning on each other, because of Political affiliation or ideology.
But, with Trump at the helm, I guess it is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Define loyalty,.

And I love how the OP picks 2 of the four women - one of which is not an immigrant -- she was born here.......Trump criticized all four.

And all four have views that many others have that nobody is going after.

Just coincidentally the OP and Trump choose to focus on four women of color that are junior politicians with no influence on the House.......

If that isn't racism....it's an exercise in stupidity......

Sanders, Warren, Harris, Biden, Pelosi.........

That's where the focus should be on and THEIR policies. They are Americans who are trying to influence and would have influence if they won.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Wake up- Dems love immigrants who hate America, as dems hate America too and want to destroy it from within. Even Obama said he wanted to "fundamentally change" America; he nearly got away with it, but thank God he was lazy and incompetent.
That is just not true. But, it is obvious that Republican Persecution and demonizing of Democrats is way out of hand.
Just because Obama or another elected official or someone wants to change things in America, doesn't mean that they hate America, it just means that they want to make some changes. And our Constitution has left room for that, because they knew in time, we might want to change some things.
You are saying some pretty nasty and hateful things about the other half of your country.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-23-2019 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 11:02 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So. I don’t believe your advocacy FOR Israel is driven by American interests either. I believe that it’s driven by hatred of Arabs and Muslims...with some heavy sympathetic tendencies for Evangelical Christianity thrown in for good measure.

It certainly has nothing to do with the interests of the United States. That much I know.
Israel is a unique case. I do believe the Bible states that those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Israel will be cursed, so it most definitely is in our national interest to support Israel. That plus its important to have a pro-Western government in power in the Middle East which we can't rely on Saudi Arabia, etc for that. Also the US is a Christian country so this all goes hand in hand anyway.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Israel is a unique case. I do believe the Bible states that those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Israel will be cursed, so it most definitely is in our national interest to support Israel. That plus its important to have a pro-Western government in power in the Middle East which we can't rely on Saudi Arabia, etc for that. Also the US is a Christian country so this all goes hand in hand anyway.
Foreign policy based on the Bible. Simply unbelievable.

There are no pro-Western nations in the Middle East, not that it’s important whether there is one or not (it isn’t). The Middle East has only one thing we want, and they’ll sell it to us no matter who is in charge. We don’t need an ally for that. Israel isn’t pro Western. Israel is pro Israel only, as they should be.

The United States is a Christian country? I’ve seen no evidence of that.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:33 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
I don't think President Trump's comments were about Tlaib or Omar's race, but about their belief system and loyalties. Recall how Rashida Tlaib celebrated her election victory by playing Palestinian music and wearing an Arabic headscarf? She truly seems more loyal to Islam and "Palestine", and more concerned about Islamic affairs than about America as a whole. I do think that when American and Palestinian, or American and Islamic interests conflict, she is at least also conflicted if not siding with the Islamic side. For example America's alliance with Israel is very important but she is more focused on standing up for "Palestine" than for supporting America and our allies.

I'm the son of LEGAL immigrants and am very assimilated. The exact words "go back to China" have only been used on me twice, both my minorities. There WAS one very old white woman many years ago who called me a "foreigner" but that was the one single racist incident I've had with a white person and I don't believe racism is a systemic issue or that I've faced more racism than the average American since there are plenty of white people in areas with larger minority populations who have suffered racism as well. I have several stories from Baltimore and New Orleans about THAT, for example.

Its almost always a minority, typically a Mexican or Muslim who tell me how white people will never accept me as an American and are bothered by how assimilated I am and by my Christian religion (I'm Southern Baptist which is very hated by liberals) and conservative politics. Most recently I had posted comments on a news article online where I supported President Trump, mentioned my parents are LEGAL immigrants and how I support the wall and how illegals shouldn't even be here hence Dreamers don't deserve anything from us. A guy whose profile says is a Mexican from Arizona wrote that "you will never be American no matter how bad you wish you were" and to "Go back to China". My ancestors had left China to escape leftism and I've never even been to China. I asked him why he can't be loyal to the US and consider himself American if he lived here and enjoyed everything this country gave him, and he replied that Arizona should belong to Mexico.

I will assume he's a citizen or a green hard holder because if he's illegal he totally needs to be deported ASAP. So here we have someone who lives in our country and is able to vote in our elections, yet doesn't consider himself American and puts Mexican interests before US interests. Does this NOT concern anyone SERIOUSLY? Even though I am of Chinese descent, my loyalty is to the US. I want the US to be economically and militarily stronger than China. I want us to win this trade war. I want any trade deal with China to have the US on top, the way I want every trade deal with every country to be. I certainly am not okay with China, or any other nation, taking advantage of the US like all of them have been doing.
Muslims are followers or practitioners of Islam.

Islam is a religion, not a race nor ethnicity.

Muslims can be of any race or ethnicity.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
First of all Puerto Ricans ARE Americans whether they live in Puerto Rico or one of the States. All they did was change locations. Why can't they still hold allegiance to place where they were born which is a Territory of US. You are now an American so act like one? They always were American Citizens.

Let's make this local. I was born and raised in NY. Moved to and lived in Florida for 10 years. I never considered myself a Floridian. When I worked in Florida Public Schools, I was asked to swear allegiance to both the US Constitution (did), and the Florida State Constitution. I refused to swear allegiance to the latter. Did not care. Moved to PA. Still say I am a New Yorker.

You will never forget the place where you were born and raised; be it a foreign country, or just a different state.

Edit: Did you know? When a person becomes a Naturalized US Citizen and has to renounce the rulers of his foreign country, a lot countries still recognize these people as citizens of their country? They consider them Dual Citizens. Look it up. I know Mexico is one of these countries.
I personally don't trust someone who lives here and is not loyal to the US and has their original country's best interests in mind. This can translate to voting patterns such as when Mexicans living in the US support trade deals like NAFTA that benefit Mexico over the US. If you worked in a Florida public school system then you really should have sworn allegiance to the Florida state constitution.

But moving to a different country is still different than a different state. If someone's loyalty cannot be counted on living in the US, then that person should not be allowed to become a citizen or to live in the US. In an extreme case, if someone considers themselves a Muslim/Pakistani/Iranian etc first then that person may engage in violent terrorism against the US.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
I personally don't trust someone who lives here and is not loyal to the US and has their original country's best interests in mind. This can translate to voting patterns such as when Mexicans living in the US support trade deals like NAFTA that benefit Mexico over the US. If you worked in a Florida public school system then you really should have sworn allegiance to the Florida state constitution.

But moving to a different country is still different than a different state. If someone's loyalty cannot be counted on living in the US, then that person should not be allowed to become a citizen or to live in the US. In an extreme case, if someone considers themselves a Muslim/Pakistani/Iranian etc first then that person may engage in violent terrorism against the US.
But how do we know that you’re loyal to the United States yourself?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, gotten much worse lately than only brown illegals. "We" are now questioning, and ICE detaining, brown natural born US citizens as well. Don't dare speak Spanish out in public. Go back to the country you came from. Or worse maybe, "Papers, Citizen". Of course it has always existed, but now it has been become acceptable behavior due to a certain nameless person "in charge".
That was one case where those citizens were questioned for speaking Spanish in public. I agree that speaking a foreign language doesn't necessarily mean someone is automatically illegal. But illegal immigration IS a major issue and if someone doesn't speak English at all, THEN they're probably illegal since at least as of now, there's still an English requirement for the citizenship test so if someone completely doesn't speak our language at all they are probably illegal.

I don't have a problem with people speaking foreign languages in the US but I do have a problem with people who refuse to learn English and expect Americans to speak a foreign language in our own country to cater to them. I don't care if someone speaks Spanish, Chinese, Korean, or whatever amongst themselves. But if I go to a fast food restaurant in America and someone can't take my order properly because they don't know English, then yes I get mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies