Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 01:48 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Brexit plays into the hands of Putin, who wants the European Union to break up and give him a free hand in his aggressions against Ukraine, Georgia, and probably eventually Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Americans who cheer on the breakup of the EU are simply lemmings manipulated by Putin, no smarter than Trump.
There’s a lot of other countries out there, can’t you guys at least make it interesting and proclaim a new boogeyman from time to time?
Putin has been interfering in Europe a lot longer than he has been messing with the USA. When they started screwing around with our election through hacking, social media misinformation and such they were not newbies, they were already pros.

I have always liked Russians. I have met many over the years through my church and briefly studied the language. I would certainly like to visit some day for an extended period if possible, probably I will after I retire. I used to think of myself as something of a Russophile since my conversion 15 years ago, I would like to see some of the old monasteries near Novgorod.

But Putin is the Prince of Thieves. The whole country has been in the grip of a small group of very wealthy thugs, who would not hesitate to kill anyone in their way. The country is like, honest to God, what our country could have turned into had some powerful mobster taken control of the white house and the congress. They rule by fear and with impunity.

Putin has attacked Georgia, and has attacked Ukraine, and he has made veiled and not so veiled threats against other neighbors. Putin is using the tools at his disposal to advance his agenda, and cyber warfare is the most modern and effective tool they have at their disposal. He needs to politically de-stabilize his neighbors in Europe to prevent them from intervening on the behalf of his victims, and the EU is the biggest neighbor he has to deal with directly. Most of the EU member states are in NATO, and that is a problem he can only remedy by neutering the USA.

You already know the rest of the story ...

Old 07-24-2019, 01:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Brexit plays into the hands of Putin, who wants the European Union to break up and give him a free hand in his aggressions against Ukraine, Georgia, and probably eventually Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Americans who cheer on the breakup of the EU are simply lemmings manipulated by Putin, no smarter than Trump.
If you talk to people who support Brexit, then you will notice that many of them are not against an european union, they are against how EU function today. They want to make trade deals with other countries, they do not want free migration and they don't want foreigners to take advantage of their welfare systems. When people realize that EU cannot be reformed to their interest, that is when they start supporting Brexit.

In fact, a lot of internal problems in the EU is caused by the EU politicans constantly pushing for more integration. Brexit would never happen if they actually gave David Cameron some concessions. The migration conflict between eastern europe and western europe wouldn't have happen if they didn't try to force them to accept refugees. And the conflict between southern europe and Germany wouldn't have happened if they listened to the economists who told them that the euro was a bad idea.

I think if EU operated more like Brexiters wanted, then EU would have been more stable, and more able to deal with Russia.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If you talk to people who support Brexit, then you will notice that many of them are not against an european union, they are against how EU function today. They want to make trade deals with other countries, they do not want free migration and they don't want foreigners to take advantage of their welfare systems. When people realize that EU cannot be reformed to their interest, that is when they start supporting Brexit.

In fact, a lot of internal problems in the EU is caused by the EU politicans constantly pushing for more integration. Brexit would never happen if they actually gave David Cameron some concessions. The migration conflict between eastern europe and western europe wouldn't have happen if they didn't try to force them to accept refugees. And the conflict between southern europe and Germany wouldn't have happened if they listened to the economists who told them that the euro was a bad idea.

I think if EU operated more like Brexiters wanted, then EU would have been more stable, and more able to deal with Russia.
Good points.

Perhaps the EU should be more like it's Common Market predecessor. Perhaps the Europeans have carried their vision of a United Europe too far, or moved along too fast. There might have been other ways to accomplish their common goals without constraining the sovereignty of individual member nations. I don't know, as a US citizen, what the best approach would be for them. I do think that this is a learning opportunity for all of us.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Boris has made some pretty controversial statements:

Watermelon smiles' and 'piccaninnies': What Boris Johnson has said previously about people in Africa

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/23/afric...ntl/index.html

Old 07-24-2019, 02:31 PM

5,165 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Another idiot running a major country. Bad news to within days have clowns in control of both the USA and UK.
You still don’t get it. Outside the powdered elites, voters saw what needed to happen, on both sides of the Atlantic — they wanted wrecking balls. I’m loving every minute of it!

Old 07-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
You still don’t get it. Outside the powdered elites, voters saw what needed to happen, on both sides of the Atlantic — they wanted wrecking balls. I’m loving every minute of it!
Actually that's bad news for those voters.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The UK wasn't a general election. May won a minority government. She resigned so Boris got her job. The voters in the UK didn't vote Boris in - the conservatives in the UK voted Boris in.

They are hoping he can close this Brexit out.

We shall see.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:07 PM

5,165 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The UK wasn't a general election. May won a minority government. She resigned so Boris got her job. The voters in the UK didn't vote Boris in - the conservatives in the UK voted Boris in.

They are hoping he can close this Brexit out.

We shall see.
Yes, I know they are parliamentary. The Brexit vote was a general referendum, and it set all this in motion, much to the chagrin of the elites.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Likely.

Completely agree.
Yeah so do I. You have to wonder--if it is a No Deal Brexit, what happens on November 1 at the Irish border and Gibralter? Sounds awfully chaotic if they have no plan for the territories where people cross the border all day for work and other reasons?

I've brought up the same questions with Brit friends. They look at me, roll their eyes and say "nobody knows." So....that's a good plan.

Will there be no rules, some rules, anything goes, nobody goes, nobody knows?

Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Free movement, one of the EU pillars, refers to immigration of EU citizens between EU countries. So what country within the EU do you feel is opposed to Western values? ...
The Brexiteer claim, evidently, is the Europe is collectively committing cultural-suicide by haplessly welcoming "invaders" of alien values inapposite with the European ethos. In other words, by throwing Germany open to Syrians etc., Angela Merkel and her ilk have admitted a cancer into the body of Europe. The UK, being unable to stop this from within the EU, is therefore doing the next best thing, by exiting the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
...The migration conflict between eastern europe and western europe wouldn't have happen if they didn't try to force them to accept refugees. ...
This whole Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe business confounds me. Are Brexiteers more worried about brown Muslim people from the Middle East, or white Christian People from Poland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What’s with the right wing obsession with Brexit, and why are American conservatives so invested in the British leaving the EU?
Modern American conservatives are especially skeptical of international institutions and any effort at supra-national government. To them, the EU as a matter of principle is a tyranny. That it's mired in bureaucracy and imposes lots of piddling rules, is merely a symptom. The underlying disease is the basic principle of concentration of power.

Conservatives ceaselessly extol the virtues of local government. They're skeptical of the US federal government, preferring instead "States' Rights". By similar reasoning, the UN, the EU and so forth, are officious, oppressive behemoths.

For the UK to leave the EU, strikes American conservatives as part of a worldwide rejection of "globalism". It's yet another example of native peoples getting fed up by aloof and disengaged "elites" who from distant perches levy burdensome and untenable demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies