Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

No matter how people may try to spin this, this was a rather egregious case of racial profiling.

Period.

No one should be subjected to that kind of disrespect and humiliation, regardless of race/background.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...sal-n-n1032551

Quote:
A man in the middle of asking his girlfriend to be his wife was stopped mid-proposal at a New York farm Sunday, and the bride-to-be said the interruption was because they are black.

Cathy-Marie Hamlet said her fiancé and six friends drove from New York City to the Angry Orchard farm in Walden, New York, on Sunday to celebrate her fiancé’s 40th birthday, but shortly after arriving, their festivities were interrupted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No matter how people may try to spin this, this was a rather egregious case of racial profiling.

Period.

No one should be subjected to that kind of disrespect and humiliation, regardless of race/background.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...sal-n-n1032551
Angry Orchard is ****ty cider. **** that place. There are literally dozens of cideries in New York to take your business to. And the vast majority are family owned, not corporate *******s with racist security like Angry Orchard.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
No, I can't say this was racial profiling. The business apparently had report that someone in the group stole something and followed up on things. You can claim that the business could have handled matters better (and I'd agree), but to claim racism and racial profiling is to make a claim that is not supported by the evidence (i.e. intent of the people conducting and authorizing the searches). The fact that something inappropriate was done to someone who is black doesn't automatically make it racist; it makes it inappropriate.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:53 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, I can't say this was racial profiling. The business apparently had report that someone in the group stole something and followed up on things. You can claim that the business could have handled matters better (and I'd agree), but to claim racism and racial profiling is to make a claim that is not supported by the evidence (i.e. intent of the people conducting and authorizing the searches). The fact that something inappropriate was done to someone who is black doesn't automatically make it racist; it makes it inappropriate.
if only more people were bright enough to understand that nugget of wisdom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies