Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times

Advertisements

I can not drink a slurpy without a straw......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I kind a like my stainless steel straws .
Only problem I see with hemp straws is people will start stealing and smoking them.
Seems to me though that if the straw is something of value like stainless or say even silver it's not going to be tossed out with the trash .
See, it's ignorance like this that caused hemp to be outlawed years ago, even though it is a superior product that has many, many uses and is also much more planet-friendly.

(Ignorance aided by forest and paper industries, who used it to ensure their businesses had no cheap and environmentally friendly competition.)

Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Paper straws, avacodo straws, hemp straws, I have used them all. Some take years to break down, some like paper straws start to break down when you use them

Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
See, it's ignorance like this that caused hemp to be outlawed years ago, even though it is a superior product that has many, many uses and is also much more planet-friendly.

(Ignorance aided by forest and paper industries, who used it to ensure their businesses had no cheap and environmentally friendly competition.)
The paper industry is a renewable resource, it was the plastics industry that put a death nail in the paper industry in the 80s that replaced paper with plastic aka "Save the trees movement" funded by the plastics industry.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I kind a like my stainless steel straws .
Only problem I see with hemp straws is people will start stealing and smoking them.
Seems to me though that if the straw is something of value like stainless or say even silver it's not going to be tossed out with the trash .
There are no psychoactive compounds in significant quantity in industrial hemp material. Kombucha tea has a far higher concentration of alcohol and is freely sold in pretty much every store, yet I've never heard of people trying to get drunk off of it, because it's nearly impossible.

The cotton and paper industry lobbied the government to promote these myths just so they wouldn't have competition, because hemp would definitely be a strong competitor with how renewable and eco friendly it is.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Great, then don't use them. And since when straws are for kids? Ever tried drinking your soda while driving?
I don`t need sugar flavored water to drive.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The paper industry is a renewable resource,
Yeah, if you mean by cutting down our forests.

Hemp takes just 100 days to grow to a stage where its fibers can be used. In contrast, you are looking at a minimum of 50-100 years for a tree to reach a similar stage.

So which is truly a renewable source given today's demands for paper products? Hemp, which can be harvested in under four months, or trees that take at least a half a century to "renew"?

Given it's many uses and its truly renewable quality, the fact that hemp has been outlawed in this country is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by JAMS14; 07-24-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The way some restaurants "clean" their dishes, I'll take the straws.
Good point.

However, if glassware has not be adequately cleaned and sanitized whatever liquid it contains is also contaminated.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
same. i have no idea why they're handed out like candy at restaurants to adults and kids alike.

i have no use for them.

Good for you.

Some of us like milkshakes. Others might not like ice touching their teeth, or might be elderly or disabled.

Responding to the OP, I don't "have a problem with straws."

Old 07-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, if you mean by cutting down our forests.

Hemp takes just 100 days to grow to a stage where its fibers can be used. In contrast, you are looking at a minimum of 50-100 years for a tree to reach a similar stage.

So which is truly a renewable source given today's demands for paper products? Hemp, which can be harvested in under four months, or trees that take at least a half a century to "renew"?

Given it's many uses and its truly renewable quality, the fact that hemp has been outlawed in this country is beyond ridiculous.
Trees take 50-100 years to have viability to make paper products? Some people been smoking a little too much of their product
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies