Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Why can't we have a White NBA Hall of Fame celebration then? There are lots of great black actors; the reason why they are the minority in Hollywood is because they're a minority in this country. To have a show purposely excluding all other races/cultures is racist and bigoted, pure and simple.

And not all black people are of African-descent. I live in a black-majority neighborhood are I don't think any of them are African.

The media has convinced people like you that this reverse-racism is acceptable. It's sad to see how widely accepted it is.
Very true.. reminds me of an all-black graduating ceremony.. only Black children who were graduating could attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
Quote:
Why can't we have a White NBA Hall of Fame celebration then? There are lots of great black actors; the reason why they are the minority in Hollywood is because they're a minority in this country. To have a show purposely excluding all other races/cultures is racist and bigoted, pure and simple.

And not all black people are of African-descent. I live in a black-majority neighborhood are I don't think any of them are African.

The media has convinced people like you that this reverse-racism is acceptable. It's sad to see how widely accepted it is.
There is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism. It seems to me that the media has taught you that things such as this are called "racism" or "reverse-racism".

I don't tolerate racism no matter who it is coming from. But I just don't see a problem if someone wants to celebrate african-american actors, who again are clearly the minority in acting. I surely wouldn't see it a problem if someone wanted to celebrate white rappers, or even white basketball players (even though there are a lot of white bball players). We celebrate when women achieve things that have never been achieved or are typically not achieved by women. Who cares?

Why did this country go crazy over the rapper Eminem? Why did he sell so much? I theorize that it is more because he is white and in an predominately african-american industry. Most hip-hop enthusiests wouldn't say Eminem is that great anyway.

In this country Columbus Day is a designated holiday. Why? I'm not sure. Do you think that african-americans (brought here as slaves) or native americans (who had their land stolen from them) are jumping up and down on columbus day? Probably not, but we do it anyway.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
I always see great black actors/actresses mentioned in mainstream Hollywood shows. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about, but it sounds to me as if you're pulling info out of your ass due to you providing no source to your statements.
If you want more information on stars other than Denzel or Halle...you don't get that from mainstream shows.

Also, you think I pulling info from out of my a**? This coming from someone who sited an article in the beginning of this thread without providing a link?

Those who live in glass houses...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
There is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism. It seems to me that the media has taught you that things such as this are called "racism" or "reverse-racism".

I don't tolerate racism no matter who it is coming from. But I just don't see a problem if someone wants to celebrate african-american actors, who again are clearly the minority in acting. I surely wouldn't see it a problem if someone wanted to celebrate white rappers, or even white basketball players (even though there are a lot of white bball players). We celebrate when women achieve things that have never been achieved or are typically not achieved by women. Who cares?

Why did this country go crazy over the rapper Eminem? Why did he sell so much? I theorize that it is more because he is white and in an predominately african-american industry. Most hip-hop enthusiests wouldn't say Eminem is that great anyway.

In this country Columbus Day is a designated holiday. Why? I'm not sure. Do you think that african-americans (brought here as slaves) or native americans (who had their land stolen from them) are jumping up and down on columbus day? Probably not, but we do it anyway.
Look up reverse-racism.

Look up the videos of what I'm describing on Youtube, they're there.

Eminem sold millions of records but then ago so did many black rappers. What hip-hop enthusiasts wouldn't say he's good? Although he's generally regarded as crap now, three of his albums are considered by most purists to be masterful pieces of work. And Eminem sold millions of records worldwide, not just in the U.S.

Here in South Florida it's not considered a holiday, we don't get work/school off for it. In school they taught us this. Besides, what about the rival African tribe owners that SOLD slaves to Columbus?

You may not have a problem with having a celebration towards white b-ball players/rappers but guess what? There would be a huge mainstream outcry against this, labeling it as racism. If Tyra Banks does it? It's simply considered "black pride". Pride it ain't, racism it is.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Look up reverse-racism.

Look up the videos of what I'm describing on Youtube, they're there.

Eminem sold millions of records but then ago so did many black rappers. What hip-hop enthusiasts wouldn't say he's good? Although he's generally regarded as crap now, three of his albums are considered by most purists to be masterful pieces of work. And Eminem sold millions of records worldwide, not just in the U.S.

Here in South Florida it's not considered a holiday, we don't get work/school off for it. In school they taught us this. Besides, what about the rival African tribe owners that SOLD slaves to Columbus?

You may not have a problem with having a celebration towards white b-ball players/rappers but guess what? There would be a huge mainstream outcry against this, labeling it as racism. If Tyra Banks does it? It's simply considered "black pride". Pride it ain't, racism it is.
I guess I don't see a problem with african-americans celebrating their strides in the United States. Especially considering their history was pretty dark until very recently and there are still people out there (just look at this thread) who don't want to see them celebrate anything. We don't need to celebrate "white history" in this country. This country is majority white. Besides, celebrating anything "white" in the past usually had close ties to the KKK.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Getting back to original post.... if any of you actually watch her show, you would quickly realize that she has a huge variety of topics that stretch across all racial, sexual orientation and gender boundries. I said in an earlier post that I saw a show about racism and it showed racism on ALL sides of the spectrum, not just whites.

So, this thread is kind of pointless, right?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Tyra is hot.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Guess what PBCBoy, there is no such thing as "reverse racism" - the term is always "racism" and, unfortunately, you seem to be the poster boy.

If about 12.8% of the population want to celebrate something, what's the problem?
You don't have to watch or participate.
Why do you begrudge people celebrating success?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
calipoppy:

Not "win the competition," I mean win Tyra over with their personalities (hence "win with her"). Tyra's never satisfied with the Black contestants. She chided YaYa for coming off as too educated/elitist, was snide towards Kelle and Jaeda for not being Black enough, and screamed Tiffany's ear off for being too "ghetto." I hated the way she harped on Danielle's accent. Danielle was the nicest and sweetest girl I've seen, and Tyra treated her like she was ghetto. I wish she'd just leave the Black girls personalities alone and focus more on their modeling.
The problem is NOT with Tyra...the problem is with THOSE specific contestants. Tyra has been in the fashion and modeling industry long enough to know that THOSE specific Black girls with the issues of sounding "ghetto" or "uneducated" will have a much more difficult time trying to make it if they don't make an effort to "class it up" a bit.

Some Black people need to learn how to turn off "The Street" in their attitudes, their demeanor and in their speech if they are going to have successful careers in such a high profile, high polish industry. Why is that so hard to accept? Ghetto-fabulous will only take you so far and then you become a running joke.

The majority of the Black girls on her show ARE NOT GHETTO. The majority of the Black girls on her show do present themselves with class and dignity...but I find it interesting that people always focus on the negative aspect of Black women.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Guess what PBCBoy, there is no such thing as "reverse racism" - the term is always "racism" and, unfortunately, you seem to be the poster boy.

If about 12.8% of the population want to celebrate something, what's the problem?
You don't have to watch or participate.
Why do you begrudge people celebrating success?

Because it's racism. Would you be upset is the Ku Klux Klan celebrated their success? By your logic that'd be a good thing.

It doesn't matter if it's 1%, 20%, 90%, it's still racism, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies