Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 11:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times

Advertisements

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/wo...ries-for-women

What do Yemen, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Somalia and the USA all have in common?

They all made it to the Top 10 list of the most dangerous places for women.

Yeah, I was surprised too, and then reading the article, very, very saddened, because I recognized much of what was said was true, and I knew many cases of women who fit. As the article says, the biggest reason the USA made it on the list was that it ranked third, THIRD!, in places where women were most at risk of sexual violence, harassment and being coerced into sex.

So much for those xxx_hole countries south of the border, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Yeah, I was surprised too, and then reading the article, very, very saddened, because I recognized much of what was said was true, and I knew many cases of women who fit. As the article says, the biggest reason the USA made it on the list was that it ranked third, THIRD!, in places where women were most at risk of sexual violence, harassment and being coerced into sex.

I imagine our place on that list has risen in the last 10 years—
Maybe because the vocal resistance to women’s abuse has become more strident and more complaints are taking place—but there must be abuse to create those complaints...

What really makes me so sad — 2 points
All the women in the military who are really screwed by the system when there is abuse ignored by command
And
All the young girls are are taught on one hand that they can succeed at anything if they want it bad enough and work for it hard enough—-that attitude creates initiative, determination, self-confidence, a desire for education and excellence...
All of which seem to be qualities that misogynistic groups seek to grind down and eradicate
So the girls and those who seek to empower them are creating attributes that become targets

Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
U.S. in Top 10 of most dangerous countries for women
#MeToo and #TimesUp catapult America into the club of world's most anti-women countries

Conducted online, by phone and in person between March 26th and May 4th, the survey polled 548 experts on women's issues spread evenly across Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific. Those surveyed included academics and policymakers, healthcare staff and ngo workers, aid and development professionals and social commentators.
They were asked which five of the UN's 193 member states they thought were the most dangerous for women in six areas:
healthcare,
economic resources,
cultural or traditional practices,
sexual violence and harassment,
non-sexual violence, and
human trafficking.
Saddened, eh? You ought to be saddened to know that the editors of "Big Think" are idiots obsessed with Twitter campaigns, and many of the people considered "experts on women's issues" are America-hating loons. No even remotely objective assessment of danger to women would produce that ranking.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
What are the 10 most dangerous countries for men?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Maybe that explains why Yemen, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Somalia all have the hundreds of thousands of people trying to gain entry and claim asylum like the US !!!
Maybe they have some ungrateful female US refugee elected to their congress telling them how bad the country is !!! Who is reporting on that ? No one ? Weird !!!

Last edited by phma; 07-26-2019 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Ok so it's an opinion piece.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Saddened, eh? You ought to be saddened to know that the editors of "Big Think" are idiots obsessed with Twitter campaigns, and many of the people considered "experts on women's issues" are America-hating loons. No even remotely objective assessment of danger to women would produce that ranking.
Yes, this group seem sooooooo left wing:

https://bigthink.com/advisors/

You didn't like the message so had to go on attack to the source. Big Think is ranked as least biased by Media Fact Check

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/big-think/

Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Maybe that explains why Yemen, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Somalia all have the hundreds of thousands of people trying to gain entry and claim asylum like the US !!!
Maybe they have some ungrateful female US refugee elected to their congress telling them how bad the country is !!! Who is reporting on that ? No one ? Weird !!!
I was thinking the same thing. And people are surprised by this??? These refugees are turning America into the very countries they are fleeing from. Yes it’s sad.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The countries listed are not the places that statistics show are the most dangerous for women or that women are most repressed, they are the places people polled THINK are the most dangerous for women. This is ridiculous. The article itself acknowledges the result is most likely tied to the #MeToo movement, not actual danger.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

I have this really big bridge for sale. Interested? I'll give you a bargain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies