Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 06:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Baltimore's troubles are widely known and have been widely reported on by the media, especially during the riots after Freddy Gray's death.

Trump is wrong for publicly bashing a US city, calling it a dump. He's wrong because he represents the people in that city - in every American city - and insulting it in such a crude and dismissive way is him punching down, as usual. However, this time he is punching down on his own country. I thought he was this uber patriot who loved America and was going to fix it. I guess that love doesn't extend to Baltimore. Gotta make you wonder what other parts of America Trump doesn't like

That's easy! Any area that doesn't vote for him is "expendable" in his view. Trump won't be championing his home state of New York or New York City, for that matter. They regard him as something lower than a piece of "sewage" floating down the Hudson River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:59 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
According to you he is wrong. I ask you this question though. Is he lying about what he is saying? IMO he is 100% right. No one is denying that it is the truth. They are mad he said it. But it's true!
Now you're deflecting.

Ask the people of Baltimore if they think their city is a dump and how they feel about their president calling it that publicly. He didn't call it troubled, plagued by high-crime and poverty, corrupt and in need of major changes. He said it was a dump. That is something a president should NEVER say about a city that is part of HIS country, regardless of what he or you or anyone else thinks about Baltimore or any other American city.

Part of the whole role of being president is that you don't just say whatever you want and whatever you think is true. When you are representing 300+ million Americans, you lose that luxury. That city is part of America and he claimed he wanted to fix and glorify America. How is this accomplishing that?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Now you're deflecting.

Ask the people of Baltimore if they think their city is a dump and how they feel about their president calling it that publicly. He didn't call it troubled, plagued by high-crime and poverty, corrupt and in need of major changes. He said it was a dump. That is something a president should NEVER say about a city that is part of HIS country, regardless of what he or you or anyone else thinks about Baltimore or any other American city.

Part of the whole role of being president is that you don't just say whatever you want and whatever you think is true. When you are representing 300+ million Americans, you lose that luxury. That city is part of America and he claimed he wanted to fix and glorify America. How is this accomplishing that?
If his words hurt you then so be it. You are from Toronto? If you are US citizen then by all means vote for whoever is his opponent. Otherwise he has the right to make his statement.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every city of size has slums/ ghettos going back 200 years. European Immigrants were the primary occupants. Then came the great black migration from southern rural areas who were not welcome to live elsewhere.
Every city does have slums. But some are mostly slums with a few nice areas and others are mostly nice areas with a few slums.

I have seen plenty of cities transform themselves in my lifetime. Lower Manhattan used to have really bad areas when I was a kid. They are all gone now. You have to go to upper manhattan to find them, and even then, they are nothing compared to what they used to be. In Hoboken, NJ, you couldn’t GIVE a brownstone away. Now they go for millions. Jersey City, which still has a lot of bad areas, but also has amazingly nice areas now too. It is in the middle of it’s transformation. Brooklyn is much, much nicer now than it used to be.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 PM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Baltimore's troubles are widely known and have been widely reported on by the media, especially during the riots after Freddy Gray's death.

Trump is wrong for publicly bashing a US city, calling it a dump. He's wrong because he represents the people in that city - in every American city - and insulting it in such a crude and dismissive way is him punching down, as usual. However, this time he is punching down on his own country. I thought he was this uber patriot who loved America and was going to fix it. I guess that love doesn't extend to Baltimore. Gotta make you wonder what other parts of America Trump doesn't like
I'm a 20 year resident of this dump known as Baltimore and I 100% endorse what he said. If it motivates the awful (D) politicians who run this dump and the people who live in it, that will be a win.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
According to you he is wrong. I ask you this question though. Is he lying about what he is saying? IMO he is 100% right. No one is denying that it is the truth. They are mad he said it. But it's true!
The real trash infested locality in this country is the White House under Donald Trump. Its full of BS.

Baltimore has some serious challenges as a city. However, Cummings has spent most of his career in the House of Representatives attempting to get aid for Baltimore and supporting social programs that assist the poor elements that live inside. Cummings is easily reelected in his district. The people there are the best judge of what they need--not Trump and not you.

I don't think you attempt to grasp subtleties. When you attack five minority representatives over a one week period and use language like "send em back to where they came from" and talk constantly about an "infestation" this is not perceived in a race-neutral manner. I'm white and I don't perceive it as race-neutral. I think it is racist language that is deliberately designed to get some elements of Trump's based riled up and supporting him.

Trump has an opportunity to apologize. He has had an opportunity to correct his statements, if, in fact, he thinks he made any misstatements. He has declined to do so, despite the fact that he knows how is language has been perceived. A person of good intentions would not have acted this way.

If you want to do nothing, but ascribe a good meaning to something "your hero" has done, have at it. We won't change your mind. However, most us with a brain can perceive the truth.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not giving him that. Most Republicans are fearlessly racist, and for good reasons. They know how to talk around it while thinking they’re fooling people. They aren’t.

So Trump isn’t courageous in that regard. That’s boiler plate conservatism.

He offered no constructive criticism. He offered invective...with all the proper right wing dog whistling thrown in.
"You're racist!"

Gee, how unoriginal. Come up with some new material.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The real trash infested locality in this country is the White House under Donald Trump. Its full of BS.

Baltimore has some serious challenges as a city. However, Cummings has spent most of his career in the House of Representatives attempting to get aid for Baltimore and supporting social programs that assist the poor elements that live inside. Cummings is easily reelected in his district. The people there are the best judge of what they need--not Trump and not you.

I don't think you attempt to grasp subtleties. When you attack five minority representatives over a one week period and use language like "send em back to where they came from" and talk constantly about an "infestation" this is not perceived in a race-neutral manner. I'm white and I don't perceive it as race-neutral. I think it is racist language that is deliberately designed to get some elements of Trump's based riled up and supporting him.

Trump has an opportunity to apologize. He has had an opportunity to correct his statements, if, in fact, he thinks he made any misstatements. He has declined to do so, despite the fact that he knows how is language has been perceived. A person of good intentions would not have acted this way.

If you want to do nothing, but ascribe a good meaning to something "your hero" has done, have at it. We won't change your mind. However, most us with a brain can perceive the truth.
He knows how extremist LWNJs perceive it and he doesn't care. Frankly, neither do I. There's nothing he or I can say to convince you that people who disagree with you aren't evil horrible human beings. So stop whining for an apology. You're not getting one.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:09 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
That's easy! Any area that doesn't vote for him is "expendable" in his view. Trump won't be championing his home state of New York or New York City, for that matter. They regard him as something lower than a piece of "sewage" floating down the Hudson River.
You're right...it's politically harmless for him to trash most cities in America because most of them don't vote Republican. We have a similar situation here in Ontario where a conservative premier (like a governor) won an election without a platform and has gone on to take revenge against Toronto by neutering its political power and autonomy, micromanaging it, and making decisions that harm it tremendously. He doesn't care because almost every riding in Toronto votes for more progressive political parties.

Anyhow...

You are correct and New Yorkers can say that as loudly and as often as they wish because they are civilians who don't hold public office.

President Trump, on the other hand, is supposed to be the President of all of America, including the parts he doesn't like, the parts that are troubled, the parts that didn't vote for him. Trashing cities like Baltimore scores points with his base who probably agree it's a dump rife with Democrats and people on government benefits. Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt him politically because the city of Baltimore as a whole did not vote for him.

However, when you are president, you are supposed to be the president of ALL Americans - not just the ones living in swing states and places that voted for you. By trashing Baltimore, he is trashing America. Whatever happened to Make America Great Again? Is insulting its cities part of that creed?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
You're right...it's politically harmless for him to trash most cities in America because most of them don't vote Republican. We have a similar situation here in Ontario where a conservative premier (like a governor) won an election without a platform and has gone on to take revenge against Toronto by neutering its political power and autonomy, micromanaging it, and making decisions that harm it tremendously. He doesn't care because almost every riding in Toronto votes for more progressive political parties.

Anyhow...

You are correct and New Yorkers can say that as loudly and as often as they wish because they are civilians who don't hold public office.

President Trump, on the other hand, is supposed to be the President of all of America, including the parts he doesn't like, the parts that are troubled, the parts that didn't vote for him. Trashing cities like Baltimore scores points with his base who probably agree it's a dump rife with Democrats and people on government benefits. Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt him politically because the city of Baltimore as a whole did not vote for him.

However, when you are president, you are supposed to be the president of ALL Americans - not just the ones living in swing states and places that voted for you. By trashing Baltimore, he is trashing America. Whatever happened to Make America Great Again? Is insulting its cities part of that creed?
Obama was NEVER the President of "All America" yet there wasn't a peep about it from the left. He openly mocked anyone who "bitterly clung" to their guns and bibles.

If liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies