Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:14 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
My sister lives there. The downtown is terrible. Most of the people labeled "homeless" are not even from there. Many are drug addicted transients that live in tents and some mentally ill who refuse shelter when offered.

The "Homeless Industrial Complex" as I have heard it labeled there is a big business. I don't have figures for SF but Seattle is spending 1 Billion a year on the homeless issue. (works out to be $100K per person)

The situation is not safe, sanitary or sane. Unfortunately this same issue is creeping into smaller towns all around America and ruining them too.
If it's such a terrible place, why does it have the highest rents in America, some of the lowest vacancy rates, and millions of visitors from the US and abroad coming there to stay at its hotels and enjoy its famous sites and attractions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
There he goes again, bashing American cities when he is the president of America.

I wonder how posters here would react if it were Ilhan Omar bashing American cities.
You mean instead of her bashing the entire country?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
San Francisco is hands down one of the most beautiful cities on this continent. Hands down.
True.
It also has huge numbers of homeless. That makes it home to possibly the world's greatest assemblage of people who are able to speak of income inequality from a first hand perspective.
Why doesn't Pelosi fix it?
Can't?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are these your words?
If they were, why would he have quoted them?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
For a s##hole it certainly has high property values, which means more people want to live there than there's available space.

All the “ain’t it awful” comments who from outsiders hate California hasn’t changed that a bit.
Conservatives so hate it when the market fails to act according to their preconceived notions.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
San Francisco where you have a sanctuary city that allows shooting up heroin, pooping in the streets but bans vaping lolololol

Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
If it's such a terrible place, why does it have the highest rents in America, some of the lowest vacancy rates, and millions of visitors from the US and abroad coming there to stay at its hotels and enjoy its famous sites and attractions?
Long time SF residents are horrified at what is happening downtown. It's the face of their city that people see first. There is quite a bit of division among residents on how to deal with it too. It's in the SF papers all of the time. You can google to see the articles. Huge crowds are showing up at public meetings.

Here is one excerpt from an article a few days ago from the homeless advocates POV in the SF Chronicle:

NIMBYs beware: Latest bold SF plan asks every neighborhood to house the homeless

How many times have we heard our fellow San Franciscans gripe about the city’s worsening homeless crisis and then reject a proposal to help if it’s too close to their comfortable homes? You know, the ones with warm beds and stocked refrigerators and functioning bathrooms?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-14118080.php

Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
San Francisco where you have a sanctuary city that allows shooting up heroin, pooping in the streets but bans vaping lolololol
Same place that tried to ban Happy Meals for kids a few years ago also. Said it made them fat.

Glad to see they are so concerned about their citizens.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:25 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Lots of people spending precious time vilifying a city they’ve probably never visited.

Who would want to?

Ever see Stanley Roberts' "People Behaving Badly" series? Watching enough of those, not only do I see a city that doesn't look that nice at the street level but also a city that seems out to get its population. From frequent multiple jurisdiction task force clean ups to traffic lane laws so complex, it's easy to see how people could be confused about what is right and what isn't.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:26 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
There he goes again, bashing American cities when he is the president of America.

I wonder how posters here would react if it were Ilhan Omar bashing American cities.
Kidd, I don't believe Trump is bashing these cities (at large). He's criticizing the leaders/mismanagement of these once great cities.
In my opinion, it's hard to discredit Trump's critique that Baltimore has diminished over the years. Fleeing population, rising crime, riots, etc.
I've been to SF, but I'm less knowledgeable about their contemporary history/changes. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies