Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
What's with the quotation marks around the word "youths?" I've seen that before on this forum and each time, the youths were black or Latino.

The fact is, they are youths...children under the law. Then again, the US is one of only a handful of countries that tries children as adults with adult sentences and adult jails. There are a lot of supporters of these policies despite the fact that medical science has demonstrated time and again that young brains are not fully developed until the early-20's and that impulsiveness, inability to grasp the consequences of their actions, peer influence, and many other factors mean that young people should NOT be treated like adults, no matter how serious their crimes and how badly a community wants vengeance.

White kids do things like this too, you know. What a strange paradox when young people are not considered mature or responsible enough to drink, vote, smoke, get married, or join the army, but when they commit crimes - even heinous ones - they should be treated and punished like adults.

Obviously, you missed the movie, or you'd know the origin of that. Not that it even matters when people are intent on playing the race card.

As for these three, give me a break with your concern about any adult punishment meted out to them, should they be apprehended--I can hear them laughing already about juvy.

These miscreants were on that poor 59-year-old guy like lions on an antelope. Cry for him, not them. And chuck the "vengeance." It's called justice, and protecting the innocent. And we can start by identifying these criminal kids instead of shielding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Youtz. When are we going to start treating young thugs like the predators they are?

This poor guy was minding his own business in Baltimore when he was surrounded by thugs who proceeded to pummel him--and, of course, empty his pockets.

IF they're apprehended, the usual coddling and protection of the "youtz" will start, beginning with the withholding of their names.

The video is disturbing:

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/video...ght-on-camera/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

Young thugs, all over the world, have been predators, since forever. That there are now cameras/ phones capturing videos and posting on social media creates the perception that this crap has become routine.

Despite the largest incarceration rate in the world, there is not enough room in prisons to store criminals and people seem unwilling to pay more taxes to do so.

Maybe clearing the decks of non- violent criminals will help. Maybe not.

As an aside, what is a “ youtz” ? Is it a dog whistle to fans of “ Goodfellas”, 1990?

Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Don't make assumptions about me.

I've been a high school teacher in some of my city's most troubled neighbourhoods. I don't need to go to Baltimore to get assaulted, threatened, or harassed by young people. I also worked with young people long enough to see the difference between their cognitive development and that of an adult.

Aside from that, I have people in the South Bronx and spent a lot of time there in the early aughts. I encountered a lot of delinquents walking the streets of Mott Haven and Hunts Point. They can be crazy, cruel, and completely lacking respect for other people and respect for life. But they are still kids and to pretend they aren't goes against what medical science and psychology has shown over and over again.

EDIT: So this happened in Baltimore, the city that many here have criticized as being a violent, poverty-stricken "dump." In fact, most of these kinds of stories come out of cities or neighbourhoods just like these. Maybe, just maybe, investing in cities, education, and so on might improve these problems. Oh, wait...that would mean your tax dollars might be spent on something that doesn't affect you directly.

Using Detroit for an example, which is just as much of a ****hole as Baltimore, we (the MI taxpayer) spend as much money per student in Detroit as we do in Birmingham, a very wealthy city. Yet the return on the investment is this :
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...not-proficient

I know we can't give up, but it seems like we are throwing good money after bad...

Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpaid poster View Post
We are suddenly so concerned about Baltimore

Bunch of hypocrites. As if you cared for those people at all. You don’t give a crap about kids growing up in an environment full of crime. You don’t care that their destiny is prison for life as other people enjoy the millions they make with their drug rings and for profit prisons.

Just stop, your fake concern is not necessary. Just go back to your suburbs or town and pray that you will never end up living in a place like that.
You are 100% right. I don't care about youths that beat, rob, rape and murder people. To me they are useless! I hope they rot in prison.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:16 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
What's with the quotation marks around the word "youths?" I've seen that before on this forum and each time, the youths were black or Latino.
Using "Youths" in a sarcastic way is simply snarky comeback at the leftist media and activists who very often portray crime commited by younger "protected class" criminals in the U.S. by naming them as "youths", when they are often age 30 and up.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Youtz. When are we going to start treating young thugs like the predators they are?

This poor guy was minding his own business in Baltimore when he was surrounded by thugs who proceeded to pummel him--and, of course, empty his pockets.

IF they're apprehended, the usual coddling and protection of the "youtz" will start, beginning with the withholding of their names.

The video is disturbing:

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/video...ght-on-camera/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp
The 2nd amendment is a personal right for a reason. Too bad this victim lives in Baltimore.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where did you get the 'youths' from?

From your article

Maybe they should call them youths, since they obviously were youths. Trump-youths maybe......

If the video isn't clear enough (and if YOU think that looks like two men and a woman, I just don't know what to say), introduce yourself to the many articles and news reports in which they're referred to as teens, youths, or juveniles.

I'm not responsible for errors in reporting simply because I searched for a video clip without the usual editing and "explanations" by local reporters.

I know you just had to get in a Trump jab, but...

Old 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Using "Youths" in a sarcastic way is simply snarky comeback at the leftist media and activists who very often portray crime commited by younger "protected class" criminals in the U.S. by naming them as "youths", when they are often age 30 and up.
Ok, so this thread is about "owning the libs." No one really cares about these offenders or the victim. Thanks for the head's up. I'm going to delete my posts in this thread. Seems like this thread was not created to promote meaningful discussion. Just another pile-on.

EDIT: unfortunately, the time has expired and I can't delete my first post in this thread. Carry on...

Old 07-29-2019, 12:24 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpaid poster View Post
We are suddenly so concerned about Baltimore

Bunch of hypocrites. As if you cared for those people at all. You don’t give a crap about kids growing up in an environment full of crime. You don’t care that their destiny is prison for life as other people enjoy the millions they make with their drug rings and for profit prisons.

Just stop, your fake concern is not necessary. Just go back to your suburbs or town and pray that you will never end up living in a place like that.
And you won’t admit what the problem truly is will you? Welfare and single mothers which result in boys being raised with no decent male role models.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
It hurts my heart to see young men behaving this way. But the truth is it was too late for this boy by the time he was 4 years old. Something has to be done about this endless cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies