Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM

858 posts, read 424,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Depends on the region, I suppose. Iowa is not Mississippi.

Also depends on the what people mean by quality of life. To me it means a non-polluted environment, friendly people, lack of crime, affordable housing and cost of living in general, pedestrian-friendliness, etc.

All of these things can be had in the cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
I'm from NYC. The white population has grown. I hope to see the changes in NYC racial demographics by next year. Rural and suburban America is going it be fine and suburbs are not dying. Richard Florida tried to kill the suburb but that failed miserably. In rural suburban America, especially white suburbia and white rural America. These regions lack jobs and lack job growth. This will force many to either leave for the big city after high school to work in service industry, or after college to work in professional job. After reading Charles muarry coming apart, corporations have been moving away from rural area and suburbs, and instead moving offices to urban centers or suburban tech parks like silicon Valley, or Mohawk Valley in NYS near white plains.
When have there been big corporations in rural towns and which ones have moved from a rural area to silicon valley or Mohawk valley.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:24 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Unless you can argue with a straight face that the pinnacle of human achievement was when we achieved a stable food source, ie farming versus hunting and gathering, this entire discussion is silly. Yes maybe rural lifestyle is idyllic in a way urban living can never be. But would it work if everyone had this lifestyle? Should we just enact policies to make America an agrarian society? How many innovations came from small towns and farm country? I know many of you would say, I'm happy to have a gun in my hand and the ability to grow my own food. What if the entire world operated this way? Would that be utopia?

Old 08-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
All of these things can be had in the cities
depends on the city. The majority of the people moving into my area (via. CD threads and private conversations) site just those things environment (fresh air, lakes, streams, rolling hills, mountains, hiking, traffic), low crime, friendly people, low taxes, affordable housing as reasons they are moving from the cities to this area.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Unless you can argue with a straight face that the pinnacle of human achievement was when we achieved a stable food source, ie farming versus hunting and gathering, this entire discussion is silly. Yes maybe rural lifestyle is idyllic in a way urban living can never be. But would it work if everyone had this lifestyle? Should we just enact policies to make America an agrarian society? How many innovations came from small towns and farm country? I know many of you would say, I'm happy to have a gun in my hand and the ability to grow my own food. What if the entire world operated this way? Would that be utopia?
Again, its a free country live where you choose. I don't think everyone is saying everyone should live in a rural area (wouldn't be rural anymore would it). The entire premise of this thread is without warrant. People choose where they want to live for various reasons, not everyone wants to leave for the big city, thats the point. Those that must for economic reasons do, those who do want to do. Its those few who want to but dont for whatever reason that come up with this crap.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Depends on the region, I suppose. Iowa is not Mississippi.

Also depends on the what people mean by quality of life. To me it means a non-polluted environment, friendly people, lack of crime, affordable housing and cost of living in general, pedestrian-friendliness, etc.
Iowa is not Mayberry. Those little towns can be little Peyton Places with all the drama going on. If all the stories in those towns were actually covered in the news it would make many city dwellers blush. After knowing some of these stories my eyes can't roll hard enough when small towns are held up as paragons of virtue.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Iowa is not Mayberry. Those little towns can be little Peyton Places with all the drama going on. If all the stories in those towns were actually covered in the news it would make many city dwellers blush. After knowing some of these stories my eyes can't roll hard enough when small towns are held up as paragons of virtue.
I have lived in two such towns so far, but I can't really confirm what you say...
Sure, people have their personal problems like everywhere else, but I felt much safer, frankly.
And people were friendlier to me (after an initial period of distrust towards a stranger).

Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Same stuff goes on in metros and suburbs. Might be a bigger gossip web in smaller towns.
I remember as a child listening to mom and a couple neighbors sitting around drinking coffee, smoking ciggs and talking all the trash about other people on our street or block. This was in the suburbs of a large city.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Same stuff goes on in metros and suburbs. Might be a bigger gossip web in smaller towns.
I remember as a child listening to mom and a couple neighbors sitting around drinking coffee, smoking ciggs and talking all the trash about other people on our street or block. This was in the suburbs of a large city.
I'm talking about more like people cheating on spouses with nieces/nephews, trading food stamps for drugs, preachers selling drugs, crazy stuff. Don't underestimate small towns; with nothing to do, people will find something to do and it's not like they lack for imagination. The most shocking situations I've ever heard came from small towns, not big cities where people are just too busy. Plenty of people grow up in small towns and move to the cities but they don't forget what happened (or is still happening when they go home to visit).

Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
You answered your own question: big city means better jobs. These small towns in the rural states have almost no opportunity for work or for middle America type of jobs. The people living in the small towns have to give up their freedom and their calmness to support themselves.

You mention big cities not being conservative, well guess what? Small town America doesn't have the high crime rate your liberal, big cities have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies