Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,830,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Nothing is stopping you from contributing more to the government, and some might consider you selfish for wanting government to be the way you want it, a way that gets away from the notion of small government that they feel this nation was founded upon.

You see it as forward. Some others see it as the opposite and would like even less government involvement going forward re their feeling that that is closer to the principles the nation was founded upon.
LOL that you think the people who are fighting against this are advocates of "small government." That's a good one, RMESMH!!

Quote:
In your opinion. To them, they may be looking at it from a point of view of fairness. You are also applying what you see as fairness in that equation, you're just applying it to a different set of people.
So we can never, ever make any policy changes because they might be unfair to the generations who came before, when times were different and needs were different? How do we move forward if we must keep everything static so people aren't offended by necessary and needed change?

The bottom line is, healthcare in this country is broken. Both sides agree with that. Doing nothing, which is the only proposal coming from the right, is not going to solve anything. Where are the conservatives' ideas? Nearly a decade since they declared war on the ACA and they STILL have offered absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Really should be were rather than are. If the Tea Party had any real influence anymore, Trump might not have signed the last two budgets.
On this we agree. The Tea Party sat down and shut up the minute Trump was elected. Suddenly, they are all for everything they railed against for six years. They are as phony as a three dollar bill. There's your "small government" types, RMESMH. They only exist when they are out of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:31 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Unless you are an extremely higher earner, I don't see how you can pay "well into six figures to medicare" over the decades.

Medicare tax is 1.45% so that's only $1,450 per $100,000. Over forty years that would equal $58,000. If you include the employers side it doubles to $116,000. There is a surcharge of .09% on income over $200,000, but if your income is that high most likely your not earning that thru W-2 wages.

I think you need a new calculator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
No, you need to look at it from the perspective of a small business owner. Like SS, the Medicare tax is paid half by the employee and half by the employer. Small business owners pay both halves — it comes out of their pocket.
Yes....this exactly. I owned a small business for 20 years and paid both halves. The SS statement I get (that projects my payment at various ages) includes the total I've paid into SS and Med over the past 35 years. Because I paid double for decades, I've contributed twice as much as a salaried employee earning the same.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes....this exactly. I owned a small business for 20 years and paid both halves. The SS statement I get (that projects my payment at various ages) includes the total I've paid into SS and Med over the past 35 years. Because I paid double for decades, I've contributed twice as much as a salaried employee earning the same.
I have owned my own small business since 1998, so I know what you're talking about. I've paid both halves as well. And I am still in favor of Medicare for All because I recognize that this is not all about MEEEEE.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

88,648 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Clearly, some are for it and others against. How about making it an option (while keeping everyone else's private insurance and Medicare for seniors as is), fund it via those who opt into a Medicare for All tax (if you choose to use Medicare for All you have to opt into the tax), and calculate the Medicare for All tax rate based on the program's total cost and how many people are paying?

Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,437,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I have owned my own small business since 1998, so I know what you're talking about. I've paid both halves as well. And I am still in favor of Medicare for All because I recognize that this is not all about MEEEEE.
Oh, I get it. If you're really not in favor of a governing body taking arbitrary chunks of your paycheck for the benefit of others, you're greedy. I can almost hear you patting yourself on the back for your self-righteous and totally BS perceived moral superiority.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Oh, I get it. If you're really not in favor of a governing body taking arbitrary chunks of your paycheck for the benefit of others, you're greedy. I can almost hear you patting yourself on the back for your self-righteous and totally BS perceived moral superiority.
Try comprehending this time. I, like Rachel and millions of other small business owners, have paid in TWICE what the average employee pays, because we must pay both the employer side and the employee side of taxes. That means we pay in a hell of a lot more than you probably do.

But unlike the OP, I want to make sure everyone has access to health insurance, even if it means that those who paid less than I did over the years receive the same benefits I get. Because I recognize that it isn't only about me.

Capiche?

Old 08-01-2019, 12:28 PM

10,191 posts, read 6,249,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Kamala Harris has the same people working on her "Medicare for All" plan that Obama used for ObamaCare - including Katherine Sebelius. Not only that, it has the same time lag ..... 10 years to even set it up, that would mean good old Kamala would be gone before we are all stuck with it.

I've read the plan -- the main thing I got out of her "plan" is that she is totally clueless about the Medicare we have today.

Kamala Harris quote:
Imagine walking through those sliding glass doors at the emergency room or doctor’s office or hospital knowing that the first card you pull out will be a Medicare card, not a credit card.

I'm on Medicare. It is the most expensive Health Insurance plan I've even had. When you see any doctor, when you go to any Medical facility .... they don't want your Medicare Card, they don't even want your Credit Card ...... they want your Insurance Card. She is totally clueless.

Basic Medicare (which everyone MUST sign up for by age 65) has a monthly premium per person - mine is $147 per month. That covers ONLY hospital expenses and ONLY 80% of those. Everything else is covered by a supplemental Insurance plan. The supplemental plan I use costs me nothing per month, but it does have high deductibles. I get standard wellness checks, but they are mandated by the government to cover only specific things. Any illness goes toward my deductible - BUT I'm forced to use specific doctors to get approved referrals for any and every thing. I have little choice about any of it except for how much I want to pay. My 98 year old Mother pays over $1,000 a month just to get the specific medicines that she must have and then she still pays a lot for the medicines even with the supplemental plans.

Harris is talking about a complete takeover of Doctors, Hospitals, all insurance by the Government for some sort of Pie in the Sky "Medicare for All" that is supposed to include FREE everything and include all Private Insurance ("or we will kick them out" she says) ObamaCare, current Medicare (which she clearly doesn't understand) Medicaid, all Dental, Vision, Mental Health, Drug Addiction and a Chicken in every Pot and Pot of Gold under the Rainbow in your backyard

1). Medicare as we know it (and I'm not fond of it) WILL go away.
2). Private Insurance WILL be controlled by the Government.
3). Employer Insurance WILL go away and be replaced by Pie in the Sky .... Including Union Cadillac plans.
You are wrong. Only Medicare Part A (hospitals) has $0 Premiums. If you are over 65, that is the only Free Medicare. Part B (doctors, labs, etc) has a monthly premium. Mine is $137/month, although since it is taken out of SS check, I am not actually paying that much because under the Hold Harmless Clause my SS check cannot be decreased by rate increases. If there is a SS COLA increase along with Medicare Premium increase, I get less or no SS increase.

Part D has a monthly premium as well. Never elected to take that so I don't know how much that is.

Then there are all those Supplemental Plans which charge another monthly fee. Don't have that either.

So all Seniors would be mad if everyone got Free Medicare? Why, if all those Part B, C, D, etc., premiums went away, and they got all the benefits of them for free?

Although I have been on Medicare for 5 years, and haven't used it at all, it is far better than my public school health insurance paying $365/month just for me, with a $3,500 deductible (including doctor visits), and 50% after that.

Our combined income from SS is $42,000 a year. Too much to qualify for Medicade.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-01-2019 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 12:32 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,139,475 times
Quote:
Sure, her latest giveaway sounds good to the vast majority of voters: Free Health Insurance!

Specifically, she is promising that families with incomes under $100K (the average HHI is in the 50s) will get premium-free Medicare. Yay! But how is this fair to the families who have paid into Medicare for 40 years, the vast majority of whom never breached the $100K mark? They have paid in for decades what will now be provided free-of-charge to most families.

But wait. It's even worse. Taxes will go up to cover the free stuff, so that means that not only did the elderly pay into the system that is now free to most everyone else, their taxes will be raised to GIVE it to the people for whom it is now free.

I'm not quite at Medicare age yet, but I have calculated that I have contributed well into the six-figures over the decades while ALSO paying for my own health insurance.

So, let's see: she wants health care for illegals AND free health care for all under $100K. Do I hear $200K? Going....going....
Here is the thing about "fair". Most people don't care if someone gets something that they didn't and don't feel that should be an obstacle for forward progress.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 PM

8,021 posts, read 3,594,985 times
Quote:

Not really. The other half of the salaried employee's contribution was paid by his/her employer. So it is basically a part of that employee's total compensation.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:39 PM

45,043 posts, read 26,201,042 times
Quote:
You didnt "contribute" because that is something you do voluntarily. You were taxed a.k.a. robbed and the money taken from you was immediately spent on something else with no promise of any return to you.
And If you live long enough and the scheme is still in existence, so too will others be robbed to pay for your welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies