Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is a good read about liberals and the way they think... if you get into this stuff. It's a little long, but it highlights why progressives are angry and hostile - and it also illustrates why conservatives can actually talk through issues.

From March 2018... The Psychology of Progressive Hostility

In his remarkable book The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, Haidt recalls a telling experiment. He and his colleagues Brian Nosek and Jesse Graham sought to discover how well conservative and what Haidt terms ‘liberal’ (ie: progressive) students understood one another by having them answer moral questions as they thought their political opponents would answer them. “The results were clear and consistent,” remarks Haidt. “In all analyses, conservatives were more accurate than liberals.” Asked to think the way a liberal thinks, conservatives answered moral questions just as the liberal would answer them, but liberal students were unable to do the reverse. Rather, they seemed to put moral ideas into the mouths of conservatives that they don’t hold. To put it bluntly, Haidt and his colleagues found that progressives don’t understand conservatives the way conservatives understand progressives. This he calls the ‘conservative advantage,’ and it goes a long way in explaining the different ways each side deals with opinions unlike their own. People get angry at what they don’t understand, and an all-progressive education ensures that they don’t understand.

Haidt’s research echoes arguments made by Thomas Sowell in A Conflict of Visions and Steven Pinker in The Blank Slate. Both Sowell and Pinker contend that conservatives see an unfortunate world of moral trade-offs in which every moral judgment comes with costs that must be properly balanced. Progressives, on the other hand, seem to be blind to, or in denial about, these trade-offs, whether economic and social; theirs is a utopian or unconstrained vision, in which every moral grievance must be immediately extinguished until we have perfected society. This is why conservatives don’t tend to express the same emotional hostility as the Left; a deeper grasp of the world’s complexity has the effect of encouraging intellectual humility. The conservative hears the progressive’s latest demands and says, “I can see how you might come to that conclusion, but I think you’ve overlooked the following…” In contrast, the progressive hears the conservative and thinks, “I have no idea why you would believe that. You’re probably a racist.”

Based on the underlined, it seems to be an issue of education and understanding, and that turns into anger when one's utopia is threatened.

I also think people use anger as a billyclub to gain leverage.
So, they are asking questions from students, and when a liberal student can't answer, they blame it on liberal education system, although the conservetibe students go to the same school

And that makes sense to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Conservatives: I can rationalize my baby killing better than progressives.

Oh yeah. I'm impressed...bigly.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:09 AM

24,491 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Personally I have experienced that generally a Conservative is capable of having an intelligent civil talk about politics whereas a progressive tends to get angry very quickly because they run out of things to say and their thoughts turn to the typical "well Trump is a racist" and "Russia elected him" . It is utter nonsense and if you ask for examples of either of these they have none.

It really is funny how progressives claim to be about diversity, kindness, understanding and acceptance of everyone no matter what. It is their Liberal way but if pressed they become a bunch of hypocrites. Case in point. My friends have small store, they are super liberal and they are all for a "living wage" of $15 for everyone yet when I asked them why they don't pay their employees that much today they balked and said "we would go out of business". Or how about Cher, she is all for open borders but when Trump threatened to bus thousands of "migrants" to LA she said "we are all full up"....

Progressives have big hearts, I will give them that but they have small brains when it comes to the real world.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Interesting read. Thanks OP.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, they are asking questions from students, and when a liberal student can't answer, they blame it on liberal education system, although the conservetibe students go to the same school

And that makes sense to you?
You're not getting it. We are all individuals. We are going to process things of the world differently.

Just in your post - the environment of students go beyond the education system. What about the home environment? How do their parents think? How are problems solved in the home? Who are their influences outside of the home? All of that goes into how an individual processes information or events that they take in. It's not solely about the education system.

This can go in so many different directions.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Conservatives think with their heads.
Liberals lead with their hearts.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:04 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Conservatives think with their heads.
Liberals lead with their hearts.
That’s what I was thinking.

Emotion vs. Reason

Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
To the OP point, it isn't "progressive" hostility that uses the "because I don't understand it, I am going to make up something that I can hate on and get to hating on it" psychology. That's hostility generally. That's the basis of of virtually all "anti-something" hatreds. Caricatures and easily understood memes stand in for reason and knowledge, and ignorance rules the day.

Why do you think politicians speak in platitudes, bromides and 3 second meme soundbites? It isn't because they want you to reason, think, deliberate, or anything of the sort. They want you to react...preferably overreact. They want hysterics to overrule logic. Think about it...if you based every vote on logical, sober, thoughtful deliberation of the facts, history, pattern recognition, etc...95% of the political class wouldn't stand a chance being elected to dog catcher, much less an actual position of power. So they appeal to your emotions, sympathies, fears, insecurities and yes, hatreds.

Knowledge is the ultimate power, and they want you to remain weak so that they remain unchallenged. They want you so busy fighting over whether you should have them harming Grandma in the present or your grandchildren in the future that you remain ignorant of the fact that they shouldn't be harming anyone, ever, and who the f*** gave them that power? 99% of you oblige them, regardless of ideological team. You spend so much time arguing over which style of shackle everyone should be wearing that you forget to question how the hell you ended up enslaved in the first place.

This thread does the same thing. Those guys, the ones over there on that side of the aisle, they are the "real" problem, and life would be so great if only. To which those guys over there reply, no no, if only it weren't for you! Meanwhile, the actual problem sits back and enjoys the show as their marionettes do farcical, mock combat.

Newsflash...both sides are colossally ignorant of their true problem/enemy, and they are so doped up on cheap highs from the welfare state that they've become incapable of seeing their twisted reality for what it is.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:42 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm a simpleton. Just live and let live.
Or maybe an Independent that believes that one size or label should not fit all?

Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
To the OP point, it isn't "progressive" hostility that uses the "because I don't understand it, I am going to make up something that I can hate on and get to hating on it" psychology. That's hostility generally. That's the basis of of virtually all "anti-something" hatreds. Caricatures and easily understood memes stand in for reason and knowledge, and ignorance rules the day.

Why do you think politicians speak in platitudes, bromides and 3 second meme soundbites? It isn't because they want you to reason, think, deliberate, or anything of the sort. They want you to react...preferably overreact. They want hysterics to overrule logic. Think about it...if you based every vote on logical, sober, thoughtful deliberation of the facts, history, pattern recognition, etc...95% of the political class wouldn't stand a chance being elected to dog catcher, much less an actual position of power. So they appeal to your emotions, sympathies, fears, insecurities and yes, hatreds.

Knowledge is the ultimate power, and they want you to remain weak so that they remain unchallenged. They want you so busy fighting over whether you should have them harming Grandma in the present or your grandchildren in the future that you remain ignorant of the fact that they shouldn't be harming anyone, ever, and who the f*** gave them that power? 99% of you oblige them, regardless of ideological team. You spend so much time arguing over which style of shackle everyone should be wearing that you forget to question how the hell you ended up enslaved in the first place.

This thread does the same thing. Those guys, the ones over there on that side of the aisle, they are the "real" problem, and life would be so great if only. To which those guys over there reply, no no, if only it weren't for you! Meanwhile, the actual problem sits back and enjoys the show as their marionettes do farcical, mock combat.

Newsflash...both sides are colossally ignorant of their true problem/enemy, and they are so doped up on cheap highs from the welfare state that they've become incapable of seeing their twisted reality for what it is.
Well done ^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies