Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,487,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...temperatures have changed 1 degree

if the weather/planet was that delicate we wouldn't even be here

this isn't that hard to grasp
One degree of heat energy over the entire surface of the lands of the earth, the atmosphere and the seas is a massive amount of energy.

THIS ARTICLE from NASA indicates that the average has risen 1.4 degrees (40% more than your claim) Fahrenheit since 1880.

According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

The weather/planet is that delicate, don't take it for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So what caused the "climate change" then?

It's a natural occurrence. The climate changes. Now if it is changing, say getting warmer, and that is predicted to cause discomfort for humans we should be paying attention, unless we wish to go the way of some other species.

Now say that is occurring, AND we add to that trend with our own actions.... that would be very stupid, especially when there are other options available to us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 2,258,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
One degree of heat energy over the entire surface of the lands of the earth, the atmosphere and the seas is a massive amount of energy.

THIS ARTICLE from NASA indicates that the average has risen 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880.

According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

The weather/planet is that delicate, don't take it for granted.

Good luck explaining expediential growth or change to the general public.
Most can't grasp compounding interest, and I considered it required to understand in order to live comfortably in America.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
HAHA no its called air conditioning. I dare northerner come to Florida in the summer, heck come naked and see if you survive a week without air conditioning. Wear all the fancy clothes you want, it wont matter. You have to be acclimated to the weather, even then the elderly and children are still at risk.

I have family every year from Michigan visit me. They leave looking like lobsters just from walking outside at Disney or Universal Studios. They always forget that is doesn't cool off here, daily feel like temperatures of 100+ in Tampa, Fl and Orlando Fl., at night 80+ degrees + 100% humidity leaves them dying. Clothes don't help with that kind of sticky heat.
I live in Georgia, specifically the Atlanta area. I also lived in the Savannah are for a short time. Let's just say summer is the worst time to visit. In the Atlanta area it started getting hot in April. Georgia had 3.4 million people in 1950. Today at least 10.5 million people live in Georgia. And the bulk of that population growth took place after 1970. Air conditioning (and the demise of Jim Crow) is basically the one thing making life livable in Georgia.

I remember watching the Weather Channel in the 1990s. I will never forget that heatwave that hit Chicago. People were dying in that heat. And many of those who died were elderly people living in apartments not equipped for such weather.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:39 PM

18,550 posts, read 8,363,897 times
no one would have even noticed....

what all of global warming looks like on a thermometer > https://suyts.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/image6.png

Old 07-30-2019, 02:43 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Here is the Annual GIS seasonal cycle since 1880.

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

Can you provide a link to your graph please?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,487,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm sorry, I trust scientists over pastors, oil executives, and Rush Limbaugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is one reason I believe that the "climate denial" stuff isn't about science. This "anti-science" stuff and climate is about politics and money. Individuals who will listen to oil executives and Rush Limbaugh before listening to the scientists and geographers do so because they are afraid of the left wing types. It isn't really about being anti-science. It's about being anti-leftist. It's about people who only care about money as well. No oil executive wants to talk about climate change/global warming. It eats into their profits.
Global climate change should not be a partisan issue (it threatens all of us) but (uniquely in the USA) it has become just that.

In the days of Reagan we were just learning about climate change, and I was skeptical, as many people like me were. I remember serious concerns about ozone depletion as well by then.

When George H. W. Bush was president, the science concerning warming was beginning to get attention. In those days Republicans were as interested as anyone else in this information.

Reagan, Bush 41 memos reveal sharp contrast with today’s GOP on climate and the environment | Washington Post 2015

The petrochemical industry, and most notably the Koch brothers, subsequently waged a long term war against the research and promoted primary candidates who would oppose climate change research. This was the beginning, as far as I can tell, in the Republican party shifting to a position of climate change denial. The Koch brothers were major sponsors of the Tea Party movement, and they used that vehicle to spread their ideas, they used the prospect of financial support (or opposition) in primaries to get the Republican politicians in line.

Koch brothers-funded scientist, declares global warming is real | New York Daily News 2011

There was no successful back room activity by the petrochemical industry in the Democratic party, and now the issue is unfortunately a partisan one.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is one reason I believe that the "climate denial" stuff isn't about science. This "anti-science" stuff and climate is about politics and money. Individuals who will listen to oil executives and Rush Limbaugh before listening to the scientists and geographers do so because they are afraid of the left wing types. It isn't really about being anti-science. It's about being anti-leftist. It's about people who only care about money as well. No oil executive wants to talk about climate change/global warming. It eats into their profits.
Yes, they warned of carbon threats to the planet back in the 1960s yet in the 1980s, these people did all they could to suppress emerging scientific evidence while they promoted and planted the seeds of ignorance that are still obviously out there on the subject. Now, Exxon and BP have put a million bucks into lobbying for carbon tax plan that would refund the taxes to the American people. And all of them are looking at opportunities to profit from climate friendly energy. The oil companies have changed. Now, if we could only get the people they duped with their decades of pushing climate denial to come into the light.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:18 PM

18,550 posts, read 8,363,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Here is the Annual GIS seasonal cycle since 1880.

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

Can you provide a link to your graph please?
It's 1 degree...that's GISS's each year temp...plotted on a thermometer

GISS temps since 1880...1 degree > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instru...re_Anomaly.svg

Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Global climate change should not be a partisan issue (it threatens all of us) but (uniquely in the USA) it has become just that.

In the days of Reagan we were just learning about climate change, and I was skeptical, as many people like me were. I remember serious concerns about ozone depletion as well by then.

When George H. W. Bush was president, the science concerning warming was beginning to get attention. In those days Republicans were as interested as anyone else in this information.

Reagan, Bush 41 memos reveal sharp contrast with today’s GOP on climate and the environment | Washington Post 2015

The petrochemical industry, and most notably the Koch brothers, subsequently waged a long term war against the research and promoted primary candidates who would oppose climate change research. This was the beginning, as far as I can tell, in the Republican party shifting to a position of climate change denial. The Koch brothers were major sponsors of the Tea Party movement, and they used that vehicle to spread their ideas, they used the prospect of financial support (or opposition) in primaries to get the Republican politicians in line.

Koch brothers-funded scientist, declares global warming is real | New York Daily News 2011

There was no successful back room activity by the petrochemical industry in the Democratic party, and now the issue is unfortunately a partisan one.
The sad thing is, we live in a society that is divided and tribalistic to the core. Global warming and climate change shouldn't be a partisan issue. However, alot of people are tribalistic and look out for themselves and no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies