Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A national election is, first and foremost, about the person, the candidate. It is the PRESENCE and leadership abilities of the person.

A candidate can have all the charts and plans in the world, but if the person isn't a natural leader with presence on the national stage, it's meaningless.
Yeah and if they stand for fundamentally different things they will move this country in different ways.

The difference between democrats isn't degree, but vision.

Someone like Williamson (my favorite) who wants to change the dialogue away from how to promote development and towards how to promote social equality and a healthy society opens the door to how DC politics is run.

Someone else like Klobuchar will find away for her policies to support corporate America as well as the middle class to keep the power dynamics in place.

That is fundamentally different. The goal isn't to elect a democrat, democrats are not monolithic. If someone goes against your values and goals the fact that they will win shouldn't make you want to support him.

For too long democrats have focused on winning, they should focus on what they want because they are not all on the same side.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
I think the nominee is probably going to be Biden, no matter what. He's just so far ahead of the others, and has been consistently since he entered the race.

The only question is who his VP will be.
At this point, I agree.

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What is 'wish list politics'?

Its just how the neo-liberal consensus make contrary policies seem extravagant. Changing how policies are viewed and how politics are managed means that average people can want things beyond policies that increase economic growth and investment.

This is why politics is so limited, because a few have a monopoly on how you think about it.
"Wish list" is a list of things that can't be passed into law, for whatever reason. When the Senate and House are controlled by different parties, a plan that is too far left or too far right cannot get passed.

If something isn't feasible financially, it can't be done.

So having goals is great, having plans for those goals is great and voters want to hear it, but in reality, a party's plans for one-party goals can't be passed when two parties control Congress. So....a wish list. It tells voters the candidate's thoughts, and what each candidate would want to do, if it could be done in the real world. And what the candidate would strive for.

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
I think the nominee is probably going to be Biden, no matter what. He's just so far ahead of the others, and has been consistently since he entered the race.

The only question is who his VP will be.
I don't think so at all. I don't think he has the stamina to make it to the primary.

The only reason I think he's doing so well in the polls is his name - it's one of only a few that people recognize.

My guess (today - it could change next month) is that the nominee will be Kamala.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We're almost an hour in and we haven't heard Spanish yet... I'm shocked.
tomorrow night, except for Beto.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
These are all failed promises from Russian Agent Orange

Mexico would pay for the wall now he is using money from the pentagon

ACA killed first day in office

He would push his amazing health care plan still not even heard one thing about it

Clinton would be in jail

He would release his taxes

He was going to drain the swamp he filled the swamp with 50 tons of more garbage

He would divest from his business he has not done this at all

He would not take hardly any vacations he goes to Maralogo at like 12pm to 2pm every Friday
Yeah that healthcare plan thing I think hit him hard. Republicans had almost a decade to come up with a plan yet when trump was elected they finally showed they had none. That isn't his fault.

Compare Trump's talking points to the candidates tonight...and you will see that at least his policies are actually being implemented (tariffs, holding China's feet to the fire, getting us out of entanglements that benefit the other countries and screw the US, the list goes on). A bunch are just saying things to get elected even when they know the majority of what they "propose" is just made up feel good stuff that has zero chance of getting through any sort of bipartisan voting process.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Delany sounds like a crazy Republican.
well, he's held an actual job, and created actual jobs. unusual in politics, especially among this group.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Beto has to go.

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Unless I missed it, ( doing laundry in the background) everyone chose to speak English, tonight.

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, he's held an actual job, and created actual jobs. unusual in politics, especially among this group.
Amazing how many will demonize him because of it.

He's got a good head on his shoulders but there has only been a few bald presidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies