Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:32 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,446,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I think there is a program by the Israeli government that recruits college students to spread pro-Israeli propaganda online lol...
To the contrary, there is a program by Palestinians and HAMAS that recruits students to spread anti-Israel and anti-Jew propaganda via the BDS movement. But interesting that you overlook a blatantly anti-Israel movement on campus and complain about Israeli proganda on campus.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:57 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,468,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What makes you say I have a laser focus on this one issue? I participate in, and often initiate, threads on a variety of topics - including ones on other subforums as well.

And to answer your question, as a Jew it's important to me that the antisemitism behind the BDS movement is revealed. Do you criticize black people for complaining about activities rooted in racism?
imo, as someone who generally favors U.S. support of Israel, the article's premise is absurd and this particular thread does zip to aid the support Israel, oppose BDS cause.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,989,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So by that logic if you are critical of China you should not own a gun, or at least bullets.
I'd hate to see your coding logic if you are indeed a coder. OP is referring to BDS (boycott, divest, sanction) a massive organized effort to isolate Israel via these three tactics. boycott<>critical of.

I guess you're referring to the fact that gunpowder was invented in China, but that was almost 2 millennia ago, and a different regime. What sense would it make to boycott a nation over something that was done 1900 years ago?

Last edited by travis t; 08-01-2019 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,830,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Nations like Russia don't face the wrath that Israel faces even though they are a far more hostile country.

The left remains mad at Trump for putting sanctions on Iran which is a nation that kills gays, suppresses those who don't believe in Islam. They actually would kill anyone that denies the existence of God.... Never hear a word about sanctions for Iran from the left.

The actual list of nations that do terrible things to their citizens is long and nary a word from the left...

Israel on the other hand gets myopic attention from the left. Israel as a nation has been under constant threat and attack. yet the left blames them, and wants to destroy them.

Its an interesting thing. i cannot fathom why.

At the end of the day, if the palistinians were to lay down their arms, demand their people live in peace with Israel, they would get a nation. If Israel did that, they would be overrun, and everyone would be killed.
Israel gets a free pass every time and it's because their sugar daddy, the USA, vetos any UN resolutions against Israel.
We hold our own troops to a much higher standard than we do Israel.

Remember the lies Israel told to justify that last invasion of Lebanon? Total and complete lies and they bombed a clearly marked hospital. WE took their side through the entire abortion.

Russia invaded Georgia for actual factual reasons and the USA condemned it all. Keep in mind that Russia killed far fewer people, did not bomb any hospitals and inflicted far less collateral damage.

If Israel wasn't our sugar baby. If Israel was Iran or Libya we would be hammering them for their human rights violations.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,239,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Steve Jobs was primarily a marketing guy. Wozniak was the one who did the technical work, along with Paul Allen. In any case, nobody is talking about boycotting either Syria or Poland, so what's the point?
Paul Allen was Bill Gates partner at Microsoft. Had no role with Jobs. Wozniak was a good tech. Never had a good idea out of that context.

Jobs great claim to success was blind luck. We dealt with him a bit between the Apple stints. He was not terribly impressive at that time. Nice guy though.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,989,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Paul Allen was Bill Gates partner at Microsoft. Had no role with Jobs. Wozniak was a good tech. Never had a good idea out of that context.

Jobs great claim to success was blind luck. We dealt with him a bit between the Apple stints. He was not terribly impressive at that time. Nice guy though.
Yeah you're right about Allen. Microsoft, not Apple. Microsoft did write the 'Applesoft' Basic interpreter for the Apple II, I assume because Apple did not have the talent on staff to do it. The original Apple Basic was integer-only(!) 'Applesoft' allowed the use of floating point. I'm not sure, but I think Allen was involved in that.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,239,793 times
Quote:
Yeah you're right about Allen. Microsoft, not Apple. Microsoft did write the 'Applesoft' Basic interpreter for the Apple II, I assume because Apple did not have the talent on staff to do it. The original Apple Basic was integer-only(!) 'Applesoft' allowed the use of floating point. I'm not sure, but I think Allen was involved in that.
I never dealt with Allen. Though I did deal a good bit with Jobs and Gates. Kind of funny...my wife still dislikes Gates because of his dirty mouth. He was actually no worse than most in the techies at that time but he would do it where those not participants, like my wife, could hear it.

That kind of software was outside my view. Used it but otherwise blind. We did real time stuff on microprocessors. Or even PC operating systems.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,460,624 times
Quote:
I'd hate to see your coding logic if you are indeed a coder. OP is referring to BDS (boycott, divest, sanction) a massive organized effort to isolate Israel via these three tactics. boycott<>critical of.

I guess you're referring to the fact that gunpowder was invented in China, but that was almost 2 millennia ago, and a different regime. What sense would it make to boycott a nation over something that was done 1900 years ago?
Check again smart guy. Some of these Israeli contributions date 50 years ago. That is why its silly. So what is your magic limit?

And it is such an overstatement to say its a massive effort to isolate Israel. Is buying america a massive effort to isolate U.S. from the rest of the world. Not sure what you do for a living but ts not logic based. U.S. led sanctions on Iran are an example of massive effort to isolate a country.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:18 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 22 days ago)

34,545 posts, read 16,611,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Russia invaded Georgia for actual factual reasons and the USA condemned it all. Keep in mind that Russia killed far fewer people, did not bomb any hospitals and inflicted far less collateral damage.
During the 1920 and and early 1930's, when Jewish migration to what is now Israel was at a periodic high, Stalin was busy killing a huge amount more in the various ethnic regions. Talk about a double-standard.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:43 AM

20,406 posts, read 12,296,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Israel gets a free pass every time and it's because their sugar daddy, the USA, vetos any UN resolutions against Israel.
We hold our own troops to a much higher standard than we do Israel.

Remember the lies Israel told to justify that last invasion of Lebanon? Total and complete lies and they bombed a clearly marked hospital. WE took their side through the entire abortion.

If Israel wasn't our sugar baby. If Israel was Iran or Libya we would be hammering them for their human rights violations.
i cannot begin to understand the mindset that sees Israel as a bad actor and justifies the actions of wildly crazy despotic regimes.

we have no bases for understanding one another. you are just off the rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies