Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
They make more thus they should pay more. Simple. Make it fair.
"They" already pay more - currently 48% pay NO income taxes. The top 1% pays significantly more (38%) than the bottom 90% combined (30%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
"They" already pay more - currently 48% pay NO income taxes. The top 1% pays significantly more (38%) than the bottom 90% combined (30%).
It's 45 percent but we get the idea.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:20 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Give ME a break. I didn't say that they were dying on the street -- I asked if that is something that people would like to see happen to the poor if given a choice between that or continuing to subsidize them with one's own money in the form of taxes. In short, if you are given a choice between forking over, say, an extra thousand a year in taxes vs. having someone go without food and starving to death (which, granted, is not very likely but it could happen, which is why I brought up the Irish Potato Famine), which would you choose?
The "literally die in the street" was your words

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
what if people cannot afford to buy the things that they need and are now provided by taxes, and they are without relatives who are able to help them? Are you willing to have them literally die in the street, starving and homeless?
You did not specify what you meant by "now is provided by taxes" but currently many things that are not basic needs are already provided or subsidized by taxes; Obama phones are provided and College debt is subsidized by taxes and proposed to be forgiven - taxes already cover basic needs for the indigent (if they will take it).

No one is seriously trying to cut providing basic needs for those US citizens that can not work. But do not propose more taxes for stuff that is not basic needs, US welfare already provides several times more support than the worlds average income. What needs to happen is to fix issues with providing subsidies for those that can work but don't, permanent welfare should not be a career option.

Most of the democratic proposed items are NOT basic needs but are money transfers. Giving basic services for illegal aliens is idiotic and not compassionate, they have no right to be here and it will just continue to attract the wrong ones to make the journey - we should NOT put up with being the worlds social welfare system.

Last edited by ddeemo; 08-22-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 PM

181 posts, read 82,104 times
[quote=Motion;55807319]When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason[quote]

I don't get progressive taxation. Just pick a flat tax rate, and everyone pays the same from the first to last dollar. Penalizing success is anti-american

Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The "literally die in the street" was your words
Yes, but the relevant part were the words immediately preceding that. Go back and read my post #275. But here is the copy and paste from it (although I have now italicized it for clarity, and I bolded and underlined the relevant part):

"But, to ask my question again (albeit in a different way) -- what if people cannot afford to buy the things that they need and are now provided by taxes, and they are without relatives who are able to help them? Are you willing to have them literally die in the street, starving and homeless? To just name one example, have you heard of the Irish potato famine? There was almost no government or private aid, and approximately one million people died."

Anyway, I am through with debating with you since you obviously have no compunction about taking words out of context just to try to make your point. Consider yourself "ignored" from me from now on!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-22-2019 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If I get a raise that ours me into a higher income bracket I have to pay more taxes. So why shouldn’t the rich have too? What makes them special?
They actually do feel "special," like they did something so extraordinarily right to have such a special fate. Truth is they probably did some stuff right and some stuff wrong and had lots of help along the way to get where they are. Humility is one of the best traits to have when you're on top.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because they have more. That’s why.

You do realize that makes absolutely no sense, right? If taxes were fair, everyone would pay an equal share of what it costs to run the government. Progressive taxes are inherently unfair. Why should any one pay more than any one else? You've not only swallowed the Kool-aid, you're bathing in it.

I suppose you believe the price of consumer products should vary based on the purchaser's income?

Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
They make more thus they should pay more. Simple. Make it fair.

Neither fair nor simple. Answer the question: Why should a high earner pay more for the exact same government services as a low earner? Try not to use circular logic.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:08 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. Adam Smith is a proponent of a flat tax rate. As seen in my prior example, the higher income earner would pay more in proportion to their respective income.
From The Wealth of Nations

"The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities."

― Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

Income is not the same thing as abilities.

Also, 'mucho trabajo poquito dinero' universal translation.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Congress could have replaced the progressive tax with a flat tax in 2017.

Congress could have eliminated intentional loopholes in 2017.

Congress could have cut costs to offset cuts in 2017.

Congress could deny appropriations.

Makes no diff which party sits the oval or holds the majority.

Despite this, incumbents have an advantage when it comes to elections.
Ockham's razor: Congress simply does not believe the rich should pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies