Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why are you ignoring the issue?
Balt IS IN THE HEADLINES, not other poverty-ridden cities.
Baltimore is different because the President hates it. I'm just piling on. Who cares about the other places? If the President gets around to them, I will too. It all come down to, if Baltimore City can't control federal funds given to the state government through state agencies located in the city, there is obvious fraud or outright theft going on. If the President says the local Congressman is responsible, then he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Making America great again by tearing it down. Ah, the irony.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:28 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Anyone who has ever driven in Baltimore knows that the streets are in atrocious condition. (If you think that the downtown streets are bad, try driving Caton Avenue from I-95 to Washington Blvd.; your wheel-alignment person will thank you!) And those of us who live around here keep on hearing about how the water mains and sewer pipes are ancient and in desperate need of replacement. So why didn't they do all this when Obama Claus was showering federal money like a Third World dictator buying votes? If they had actually used the stimulus money to repave the streets and fix the water pipes, I would have applauded. But no, the perfect opportunity for some one-time infrastructure improvements was totally squandered.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Anyone who has ever driven in Baltimore knows that the streets are in atrocious condition. (If you think that the downtown streets are bad, try driving Caton Avenue from I-95 to Washington Blvd.; your wheel-alignment person will thank you!) And those of us who live around here keep on hearing about how the water mains and sewer pipes are ancient and in desperate need of replacement. So why didn't they do all this when Obama Claus was showering federal money like a Third World dictator buying votes? If they had actually used the stimulus money to repave the streets and fix the water pipes, I would have applauded. But no, the perfect opportunity for some one-time infrastructure improvements was totally squandered.
I think there are other areas of the country that have bad roads and also receive federal dollars, Mississippi and Alabama come to mind. I know you don’t want to sound partisan by just pointing out Baltimore.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/alab...ar-report-says

Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Detroit and St. Louis are in swing states, so they are OK to get federal funds. There is zero political cost to defunding Baltimore. The nation needs to put its foot down by making an example of one place so that other places know to tow the line.
Are you being serious? What kind of crooked despot mentality is that?

You're literally suggesting punishing a city because it won't help your party stay in power.

You sure you're actually American?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:10 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think there are other areas of the country that have bad roads and also receive federal dollars, Mississippi and Alabama come to mind. I know you don’t want to sound partisan by just pointing out Baltimore.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/alab...ar-report-says

You are right, of course, that there are plenty of other examples of decaying infrastructure. But the topic of this thread was how Baltimore wasted its stimulus money, so I was offering an example of how they could have used it more effectively.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you being serious? What kind of crooked despot mentality is that?

You're literally suggesting punishing a city because it won't help your party stay in power.

You sure you're actually American?
We all need to do what ever it takes to make America the kind of county that it used to be. Yes, I am an American because I believe in our President. It the people that don't support him that aren't Americans and need to go back where they came from. If the President isn't reelected, that is the end of American democracy. At that point, the only solution is martial law. Baltimore was occupied by federal troops during the Civil War. Maybe it is time to do it again.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Baltimore wasted well over a billion dollars of stimulus money sent to state agencies located in city. Instead of using the money locally, the money was included in the Maryland treasury. In other words, it was sent elsewhere and totally wasted by city officials. If the city can’t spend federal money intended for the state government on city residents, why should it participate in any federal and state funding formulas? It’s time for Baltimore to live completely on whatever money it can get from its residents and not depend on the kinds of federal and state funding that every other jurisdiction in the country shares in. It also needs to send the state funds back to the federal government. It is time for the sane people in the United States to take Baltimore down!
Baltimore needs to spend billions in reparations to it's citizens.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:28 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Are you being sarcastic? What about all the other poverty-ridden cities, like Detroit and St. Louis?
The journey starts with the first step !!!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Exclamation Baltimore, 148 years ago!

From The History of the American People, by well-known British historian Pall Johnson.

Quote:
For boom you went to Baltimore...In 1752 it was nothing much--25 houses, 200 people. Less than 20 years later it was the fourth largest city in America. Its jewel was its magnificent harbor...and ships loaded with imports from all over Europe.
Fells Point was one of the most crowded shipping wharves on earth...French aristocrat Francois Alexis Chateaubriand conceded that entering Baltimore Harbor was like 'sailing into a park.'
The streets near it [the harbor] were crowded with Indian, black, and white whores--also said to be high-priced and insolent.
Johnson goes on to describe some of the greatest hotels in the world at the time in Baltimore, including one that provided complimentary slippers for all guests--in 1752.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies