Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:20 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Typical of who? I'm a libertarian. I stand for freedom.
Post was not directed at you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
You don't think it's right to give back land that was stolen? I'm not for reparations at all. To any group.

Land, different story.
I wasn't 'stolen'.

Like every country around the globe, land acquisition was won in conflict. that is the way the world works.

There are no native americans unless you include everyone who born here, then everyone is a native American.

the first people came from someplace else, other than America as we now define it.

The US government did embarrass themselves in how Indian tribes were treated, disgusting behavior! Bad, because the inhumane behavior was institutionalized vs just a popular and scattered position.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:00 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
I'm a libertarian, not a lefty. I stand for liberty and freedom.
Yet you don't want this land to be privatized, but instead be transferred to some other jurisdiction for no apparent reason with no contractual claim and dubious historical claim.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Land that was conquered... No.

But Indians where moved to large reservations after signing deals.

Then the US government, went back on their deals, breaking them, and moved the Indian tribes to smaller reservations.

Then the US government, went back on their deals, breaking them, and moved the Indian tribes to smaller reservations.

For land, gold, water, timber, copper... etc etc.. they broke their deals time and time again!

So, all the Land that the US Government agreed to give them, then BROKE THEIR OWN DEAL.. that land should be given back.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Land that was conquered... No.

But Indians where moved to large reservations after signing deals.

For land, gold, water, timber, copper... etc etc.. they broke their deals time and time again!

So, all the Land that the US Government agreed to give them, then BROKE THEIR OWN DEAL.. that land should be given back.

I wish we could go back to the 1500 and 1600's and do a lot of things different. But we have to live with what has been done. What the focus should be on is problems with the native American community and what can be done for them today. How can we undo some of the wrongs done to them? Maybe we can't hand over huge tracts of land and would that even help them?

This culture is not for everyone and they have never seemed to have done well with it. Am I proud of that as a European-American? Hell no, I'm ashamed of how they've been treated. But we have to deal in the now and reality.

They can't go back to being a village living off the Buffalo. Do we agree on that?

Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Definition of immigrant

: one that immigrates: such as
a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

Speak for yourself. I am the 13th generation born here in the new world since my ancestors arrived. Therefore, I am not an immigrant.
All humans started in Africa. We're all immigrants.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:59 AM

381 posts, read 344,358 times
Single celled organisms were here before any of the liberals or other land based creatures. The liberals need to stop with their micro aggressions and return the land to them. I support single celled rights.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:50 AM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Single celled organisms were here before any of the liberals or other land based creatures. The liberals need to stop with their micro aggressions and return the land to them. I support single celled rights.
Too bad I'm not a "liberal" as you all like to label folks.

Return the BLM land.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
The Indians were a Stone Age, violent, warring culture that enslaved and murdered each other. They were replaced, and then largely assimilated into a technologically more advanced culture. It has happened all over the world at various times.

There is no going back.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Another front in the War Against the Past.

Quite frankly, I don't think lack of land or space is what ails Native Americans. A love of inane ideas seems to ail others though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies