Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

You got wrecked by that poster.

Germany was a democratic State. Just like the U.S.

Answer the question. Would you wear the Star Rachel?
Sorry. I don't play with libertarians and liberals who compare the United States to Hitler's Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sorry. I don't play with libertarians and liberals who compare the United States to Hitler's Germany.
Hitler was democratically elected. The Weimar Republic had a Constitution in place from 1919. Men in suits signed it. The people spoke so all those laws were moral and logical.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:13 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Hitler was democratically elected. The Weimar Republic had a Constitution in place from 1919. Men in suits signed it. The people spoke so all those laws were moral and logical.
And since Government is of and for the people, means all those jews must have committed suicide.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is no "mass incarceration". There was simply a decision to finally enforce our laws and prosecute criminals. The focus on the "crime bill" of the '90s has resulted in a drastic drop in the murder rate, particularly among blacks. Tens of thousands of black people that would otherwise have been killed, are alive today because of this.
There certainly has been mass incarceration as shown by the numbers. And charts show most are imprisoned due to drug offenses.

In places like Chicago, violent criminals are under-sentenced because there's no place for them to go. In Milwaukee, County prisons are taking the overflow of their state prison due to crowding.

Get the people who were put in prison for drug offenses (unless they were moving a lot of drugs) and start incarcerating real criminals.

And sentencing guidelines should be consistent regardless of race, wealth or status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You call 16 ounces of weed a small amount? Man, you must really smoke. I remember one time when my buddies and I pitched in and bought one ounce, we felt like we'd really hit the big time.
I'm anti-drugs, but who were they hurting by selling pot? Most of that stayed in their own community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But again, how can someone's life be wrecked for being charged for something that is insignificant? Why would anyone refuse to hire you for breaking a law that everyone agrees is "stupid" to begin with?

And you know as well as I do why black kids would be more likely to be arrested for smoking weed than white kids: because they openly smoke it on city sidewalks. I saw a black kid sitting on a bus one time rolling up a blunt, in front of everyone, in the middle of the day.
What's insignificant if 16 ounces of weed is a big deal to you? 16 oz seems insignificant when violent criminals are undersentenced due to prison crowding....or given the fact that pot is legal in some places now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why not just obey the law? If it's illegal to possess a bag of weed, don't do it. If you choose to do so anyway, you do so knowing it's in violation of the law and you risk being caught.
Go back and read residinghere's post. She and her husband being arrested is not an unusual story in black communities. People aren't always breaking the law when they're arrested. And again, if they cannot afford bail, they can sit in prison for years.

But let's get back to justice. The attitude that people should just follow the law, does nothing to address the different ways people are being sentenced based on race. Do you believe in fairness and justice for all or not?

You folks keep ignoring Frank's posts. There are books on the subject. Read them and wake up. Start with Harvey Silverglate's Three Felonies a Day.

Then read up on former CIA agent John Kiriakou's ordeal and you'll discover how prosecutors work.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well you have. We live in an age where there are so many laws the govt employees tasked with enforcing them dont know but what a small percentage of them even are.
And by your own "law abiding" claim, would have turned in a runaway slave "because its the law" so shame on you, and thank god for those who are brave enough to practice civil disobedience.
To add to what Frank has posted - there are all kinds of new laws and the wording is so unclear on them that prosecutors are getting to interpret them as they see fit. How is that just?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:40 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
When people say blacks get harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes, are prior offenses factored in to it? A first time offender will get a lighter sentence than a fourth time offender, for instance.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
When people say blacks get harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes, are prior offenses factored in to it? A first time offender will get a lighter sentence than a fourth time offender, for instance.
Great question. Given two first time offenders, the sentencing for white males is far less harsh for black males.

Here's a study done by the United States Sentencing Commission:

https://www.ussc.gov/research/resear...ces-sentencing

I gave the example earlier in the thread where a black man got 5 years for growing pot to help him with his debilitating asthma.

This morning I read that a white man in Michigan was sentenced to 60 weekend days in jail for putting poison in his wife's coffee.

There's your justice.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, but great question. Given two first time offenders, the sentencing for white males is far less harsh for black males.

Here's a study done by the United States Sentencing Commission:

https://www.ussc.gov/research/resear...ces-sentencing

I gave the example earlier in the thread where a black man got 5 years for growing pot to help him with his debilitating asthma.

This morning I read that a white man in Michigan was sentenced to 60 weekend days in jail for putting poison in his wife's coffee.

There's your justice.
I'm not reading a 49 page PDF. And without defending either sentence, I don't think your anecdotal examples are similar enough to make a valid comparison.

I'm sure wealth is a factor though. Good lawyers are expensive.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And since Government is of and for the people, means all those jews must have committed suicide.
Apparently.

So it's 1939 Germany and I see Rachel walk out of a deli without her star on. According to her, I have to report her.

It's 1955 Alabama and Rachel spots my dark-skinned self drinking from the wrong water fountain. According to her, she turns me in.

Everything copacetic here. Ain't nothing wrong with this picture. Move along lemmings.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
I'm not reading a 49 page PDF. And without defending either sentence, I don't think your anecdotal examples are similar enough to make a valid comparison.

I'm sure wealth is a factor though. Good lawyers are expensive.
Translation.

I’m not reading anything that refutes my opinion and has factual evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies