Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 02:53 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Cool. More free money for his farmer supporters.
The people who grow your food don't destroy urban population centers, so it's a net positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 02:57 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I remember that commercial; fanciful and hyperbolic, to say the least - but cleverly crafted. But here's the thing. From the perspective of world-history and the general betterment of the human condition, for ossified empires to fail and to be supplanted by newcomers, is a feature - not a bug. We should welcome it.
I don't think that most people, not just in the United States but around the World, would agree that replacing a multi-racial liberal democracy with a one party totalitarian dictatorship is good for the "general betterment of the human condition"!

Certainly not if your American!

Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Democrats want to make China great again apparently
China was already rapidly becoming *the* heavyweight contender, coming to challenge US global economic dominance, now the foolish supply-side GOPers just wants to hasten their ascent. They (Trump and McConnel) owe Russia and China bigly. Time to pay the piper.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
China was already rapidly becoming *the* heavyweight contender, coming to challenge US global economic dominance, now the foolish supply-side GOPers just wants to hasten their ascent. They (Trump and McConnel) owe Russia and China bigly. Time to pay the piper.
So move there if it's so great.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:04 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I remember that commercial; fanciful and hyperbolic, to say the least - but cleverly crafted. But here's the thing. From the perspective of world-history and the general betterment of the human condition, for ossified empires to fail and to be supplanted by newcomers, is a feature - not a bug. We should welcome it.
How so? We went from a balanced trade situation and little to no national debt to trillions of $$$, almost all of which is represented by our last ~13 years of trade deficit with China. We provided stimulus, enlarged the safety net programs, but did nothing to fix our lopsided trade policies for decades. Now the bills are coming due, and guess who's got the money? It's not us. Our last line of defense, tariff's aside, has been the courts not allowing the Chinese to purchase our banks, power and water companies, and other key infrastructure in the USA under valid issues of national security. The thing is, I'm not advocating for an elimination of trade, only better balancing of it. It's really a golden opportunity in my mind, as we can pick and choose what we want to bring back by how tariffs are applied. Appliances for example, have just gone to crap, and I'd be happy to pay 25% more to have appliances that would last 20 years again. China can keep making the rubber dog poop and whatever else makes sense.

A financial takeover by China, is not going to be for any of our "betterment" except the elite that are making margins peddling all of it. Most of us are going to see our quality of life sink to that of somewhere in between where we are now and China's workers making $30 a day, sleeping in wire cages, 10 per apartment.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy;55822248.

A financial takeover by China, is not going to be for any of our "betterment" except the elite that are making margins peddling all of it. Most of us are going to see our quality of life sink to that of somewhere in between where we are now and China's workers making $30 a day, sleeping in wire cages, [B
10 per apartment.[/b]
This already is the reality in Democrat cities. It's why people keep fleeing blue states entirely.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:07 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
So move there if it's so great.
Hey, I am not the one who sold my country out to a bunch of communist. That was the GOP. Y'all can go live in China or Russia.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Hey, I am not the one who sold my country out to a bunch of communist. That was the GOP. Y'all can go live in China or Russia.
GOP opened up trade, Dempcrats shipped out their factories to the Chinese before the red states had to do so because they couldn't compete with China.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
It doesn't appear that Trump makes major decisions by listening and acting on input from others in his administration. Mostly just a knee jerk reaction. Maybe this kind of stuff worked in the real estate business. Probably not on global trade issues.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
The headline really should be "Trump raises taxes on Americans by 10% on all goods purchased from China". That is the accurate headline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies