Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's funnier. "scientist" or "CNN."

Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's pretty vague. What do you want me to do, specifically? And keep the gun in your holster when you answer.
They want your money and your freedoms taken from you and me, that is all....Venezuela is the future of following the Democrats.

No change in the temperature of the globe or rate of ice melt in Greenland would occur if the USA ceased to exist and became a gigantic forest.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They want your money and your freedoms taken from you and me, that is all....Venezuela is the future of following the Democrats.

No change in the temperature of the globe or rate of ice melt in Greenland would occur if the USA ceased to exist and became a gigantic forest.
If the US became a giant empty forest, China would harvest it using machinery built to very lax emission standards.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
If the US became a giant empty forest, China would harvest it using machinery built to very lax emission standards.
True but even that won't affect the globe temperature or the rate of ice melt in Greenland.

The Chinese would also harvest the oil using lax safety and environmental standards as well.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:01 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Haha, yep, us crafty lefties have even gone so far as to make this past June and July the hottest in recorded history. Do we have no shame !
Where?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:15 AM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Ok, how about this for an incentive.......what if we try to leave this little planet of ours in a little better shape than we found it, for the sake of our kids and their kids ?
Define "better shape"?

Why climate change is good for the world

In the Middle Ages, the average temps in Greenland were enough to not just grow grains, but to grow in enough excess to raise livestock. As the planet got cooler, that stopped being possible. If you farmed grain and/or raised livestock on Greenland back then, which was better - warmer or colder planet?

As the linked article points out, green plant life depends on a gas that comprises 0.04% of the air around us, and increases in the amount of that gas in the air are PROVEN to benefit the growth, health and resiliency of green plant life...you know, that stuff that virtually every food chain in nature depends on. If you are part of a food chain that depends on plant life (and you are), more CO2 is better, so is more heat that prevents early freezes, late thaws, cold snaps, etc which destroy millions of hectares of farmable crops when they happen.

You have to do better at defining "better shape" because I remain unconvinced that a colder, less_friendly_to_plant_life Earth is "better."

Old 08-02-2019, 07:16 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If global warming is this dire a threat, why is Google holding a big party/conference for a bunch of rich celebrities arriving on over 100 private jets(the most poluting way to travel). Why arent they selling their mansions, or their beach front property?

I should add that the summer arctic sea ice is about where its been for the past few years. (Remember when algore said it would disappear by this time)

Last edited by augiedogie; 08-02-2019 at 07:24 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If global warming is this dire a threat, why is Google holding a big party/conference for a bunch of rich celebrities arriving on over 100 private jets(the most poluting way to travel). Why arent they selling their mansions, or their beach front property?
Its a great theme for a party you gotta admit

Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Define "better shape"?

Why climate change is good for the world

In the Middle Ages, the average temps in Greenland were enough to not just grow grains, but to grow in enough excess to raise livestock. As the planet got cooler, that stopped being possible. If you farmed grain and/or raised livestock on Greenland back then, which was better - warmer or colder planet?

As the linked article points out, green plant life depends on a gas that comprises 0.04% of the air around us, and increases in the amount of that gas in the air are PROVEN to benefit the growth, health and resiliency of green plant life...you know, that stuff that virtually every food chain in nature depends on. If you are part of a food chain that depends on plant life (and you are), more CO2 is better, so is more heat that prevents early freezes, late thaws, cold snaps, etc which destroy millions of hectares of farmable crops when they happen.

You have to do better at defining "better shape" because I remain unconvinced that a colder, less_friendly_to_plant_life Earth is "better."
Me too, our food supplies are greater with higher temps...so I drive my Hellcat around and listen to that supercharger whine primarily to heat the planet up just enough to grow more food.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Step one is acknowledging that there is a problem, then we can start working on solutions before it is too late. But, if we keep putting our heads in the sand...........
We are working on solutions, in fact the US has lead the world in lowering greenhouse gases for the last 24 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#2b3a2cc53535

In addition, 23 out of 25 of the nations who signed the Paris Climate Accord haven't even reached 50% of their goals for lowering emissions.

https://www.instituteforenergyresear...-in-the-world/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies