Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
History, some stadium developers picked the cheapest land in the city. In San Francisco, this is why they picked the area around Candlestick Point near Hunters Point. In tiny, densely packed San Francisco, there was hardly any room to build a stadium with adequate parking. Candlestick Park was built very close to a rough neighborhood because it was cheap. And there is something else you are missing. The roughest and worst neighborhood was located next to what was the city dump. Alot of Blacks were evicted from other San Francisco neighborhoods and Bayview-Hunters Point was one of the places they ended up. Oh, that area used to be home to military barracks and a naval shipyard. The neighborhood was also home to a superfund sight in the 1980s, a place so polluted it required alot of cleanup. Kind of sad that the worst neighborhoods are located near polluted areas.

Shibe Park was located in Allegheny West. The neighborhood didn't start getting bad until the 1950s, and got worse from there.
Except now MLB relies on luxury suites rented by corps. Cheap is not what they value. Entertaining high-brow clients is what they value.

I doubt new parks are built in bad neighborhoods, unless they have been there say 75 plus years, with history.

Money talks.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:01 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hopefully the new Braves stadium, which is waaaaay out of Atlanta on I-285, will never suffer the fate of Baltimore.
I've been to Arlington, too, and cannot foresee any problems out there. Ever.
Someone starts some crap in Boston and those fans will just take you down!
Cubs stadium is most interesting, since it is in a residential area.
I live in the Atlanta area. This is what I know about the Braves situation. The Braves moved to Atlanta from Milwaukee in 1966. The condition was that the city had to integrate. Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium would be the Braves' home for 31 years. A little history about the stadium it played in.

Mayor Ivan Allen wanted to attract Major League Baseball to Atlanta. It was built in what is now Summerhill. It used to be Washington-Rawson. It used to be a wealthy neighborhood. Many of its residents started moving to newer neighborhoods. The neighborhood was in decline by the 1950s. Washington-Rawson was cleared and by 1966, the stadium was built.

The year Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was built, a riot took place in the Summerhill neighborhood.

Atlanta used to have murder rates on par with that of Baltimore. Atlanta back in the 80s and 90s was far more violent than it is now. During the 1980s, many fans just stayed away. It didn't help that the Braves were horrible during those years. However, being in a violent neighborhood gave many people even more of a reason not to go. When the Braves starting winning alot, many people figured it was worth making the trip to a rough neighborhood. In 1997, Turner Field was opened and the Braves moved there. Same neighborhood, different stadium. The Braves continued to make Summerhill their home until 2017, when they moved to Cobb County.

And this is the thing about where the Braves currently play. It is just outside of the city limits of Smyrna. A brand new neighborhood was built to accomodate the stadium. Now rents are skyrocketing nearby. Apartment complexes that aren't exactly nice are seeing rent surges.

Summerhill is considered an "up and coming" neighborhood. However, the violent crime in the areas around Summerhill is very high.

Arlington has always been a suburban area. The Texas Rangers buil

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Except now MLB relies on luxury suites rented by corps. Cheap is not what they value. Entertaining high-brow clients is what they value.

I doubt new parks are built in bad neighborhoods, unless they have been there say 75 plus years, with history.

Money talks.
Nowadays they won't build new parks in bad neigborhoods. However, there are still ballparks in questionable areas. And some cities are just plain violent, such as St. Louis and Baltimore. Detroit is violent, but Comerica Park is located in Downtown Detroit, one of the better parts of the city, very close to Greektown.

The Atlanta Braves were moved out to the suburbs. A large lot of land was turned into a brand new neighborhood purpose-built for the new stadium.

The sad thing is, baseball is no longer the game that I knew back when I was kid, in the 1990s. It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:22 AM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.theblaze.com/news/former...-in-his-career

President Trump's words were not racist, they were just the truth
... Okay. Isn't it the president's job to improve conditions for all Americans?
What's the good in criticizing a major port city?

... Or did he do it because he was tied to a child sex trafficking operation the week before?
I'd like to know more about trump's relationship with Epstein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies