Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times

Advertisements

Too many of you pin all of your hopes and aspirations on politicians. My oh my, when will you learn? Seeking help from politicians is equally sad and comical at the same time. Politicians don't have magic wands that they can waive in the air that will suddenly fix all of your neighborhood problems. Expecting the government to come in and get rid of all your issues? Please. Come on....get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 04:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Since you refuse to get it, watch this video. I don't have the patience to type everything out. The video should explain why many Blacks view the GOP the way they do these days.
Refuse to get it? Refuse??? I asked a simple specific question and that's the garbage response you come up with??? You cannot articulate your own answer? Of course I'm not going to watch some silly utube.

Quote:
BTW, it is mainly Republicans saying things alluding to "Blacks are a burden" or "Blacks cause problems". Why would I vote for that?
Because you'd rather have people lie to you so you can live in a fantasy world is my guess cause you don't care much about the truth.

So the fact that blacks as a group commit a higher percentage of crime, abandon their children and are on welfare at much higher rates than any other group isn't a problem???? No need to discuss the reason behind that right? Why looking at the problem in order to solve it is silly. We should just ignore the elephant in the room, right?
That you refuse to see how the welfare state which encourages people to not work and to not stay together and raise their kids is a problem, is on you.

The problem is YOU having a problem with the truth. Not once in your post did you address anything I said. Not once. Instead you made things up by saying I refuse to get it??? I'm not the one turning a blind eye to the black men, as a group, shirking their responsibilities as human being. I'm not the one ignoring the fact that 70% of all black children are raised in single parent families and 80% of those are run by women. Or that black women currently earn about two thirds of all African-American bachelor's degree awards and 70 percent of all master's degrees.

What changed that causes all races to abandon their kids and not work full time to support themselves and their children? Why don't you tell us?

Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Too many of you pin all of your hopes and aspirations on politicians. My oh my, when will you learn? Seeking help from politicians is equally sad and comical at the same time. Politicians don't have magic wands that they can waive in the air that will suddenly fix all of your neighborhood problems. Expecting the government to come in and get rid of all your issues? Please. Come on....get real.
Agreed. The government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take it away.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Detroit went down because of racial strife, political corruption, and being a one trick pony (automobile industry layoffs don't help). California has a whole had its own basket of problems before the Democrats ruled. Gang violence, racial violence, drugs,etc. And the Rust Belt? Steel industry changing and employing fewer people. Cities like Minneapolis, Madison, and Boston are doing alright, while Buffalo, Cleveland, and St. Louis have been in severe decline. Madison and Milwaukee share the same state. Why is Madison doing much better?

Better yet, compare Austin,TX with Birmingham,AL. Both are Democratic strongholds in red states. Birmingham has watched its economy decline rapidly. It's always had a high murder rate, and has been especially bad in recent years (same murder rate as Baltimore and St. Louis). Austin, however, is closing in on 1 million people, people want to move there, the economy is thriving (Dell Computers is in Austin), and it has one of the lowest murder rates in the country (lower than Seattle and Portland, which is saying something because those cities have very low murder rates too).
Birmingham, AL is 71% black
Austin, TX is 71% white

It's about raising children and training them well. In a single parent family that is much harder. Single parent rate for blacks 70%, single parent rate for whites 30%. Keep ignoring that truth all you want.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Birmingham, AL is 71% black
Austin, TX is 71% white

It's about raising children and training them well. In a single parent family that is much harder. Single parent rate for blacks 70%, single parent rate for whites 30%. Keep ignoring that truth all you want.
Actually, Austin is 49% White, and 35% Hispanic.

So you would now have to admit that political party has nothing to do with it. I've never once denied that in a single parent family, raising children is harder. There is more though. On the occassion when the father is the single parent, the child, mainly boy children, tend to turn out better. And you got the statistic mixed up. 70% of Black children are born out of WEDLOCK. 50% of Black children are raised in single parent homes. I've never denied it. I just understand there isn't much I can do or the government can do. One reason I don't talk about it as much.

And there is something you also ignore. Birmingham is not much different than many Rust Belt cities. Birmingham was a major steel city, and then it went the way of Cleveland. Loss of jobs, rise in crime. The most talented, most educated of Birmingham's Black population has been leaving Birmingham, and in many cases, Alabama altogether. Guess whose left. The a very large underclass within the Black population. Atlanta, on the other hand, has seen a major decline in its murder rate and has a thriving economy. And it's attracting a large Black middle class.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Refuse to get it? Refuse??? I asked a simple specific question and that's the garbage response you come up with??? You cannot articulate your own answer? Of course I'm not going to watch some silly utube.

Because you'd rather have people lie to you so you can live in a fantasy world is my guess cause you don't care much about the truth.

So the fact that blacks as a group commit a higher percentage of crime, abandon their children and are on welfare at much higher rates than any other group isn't a problem???? No need to discuss the reason behind that right? Why looking at the problem in order to solve it is silly. We should just ignore the elephant in the room, right?
That you refuse to see how the welfare state which encourages people to not work and to not stay together and raise their kids is a problem, is on you.

The problem is YOU having a problem with the truth. Not once in your post did you address anything I said. Not once. Instead you made things up by saying I refuse to get it??? I'm not the one turning a blind eye to the black men, as a group, shirking their responsibilities as human being. I'm not the one ignoring the fact that 70% of all black children are raised in single parent families and 80% of those are run by women. Or that black women currently earn about two thirds of all African-American bachelor's degree awards and 70 percent of all master's degrees.

What changed that causes all races to abandon their kids and not work full time to support themselves and their children? Why don't you tell us?
Like I said before. I didn't have the patience to come up with a longer answer. That is why I put that video in. It would enlighten you as to why more Blacks aren't voting Republican. But since you refuse to watch the video, and I have a bit more time to type more, I will break it down for you.

Blacks do not trust the GOP because of events that took place during the 1960s. "Free stuff" has little to do with it, so if you're coming here for that, move along. When it came to passing the Civil Rights Act, Lyndon B. Johnson supported it, Barry Goldwater did not. And the the clincher for passing the CRA, well, let's put it this way. While most northerners supported it, more northern Democrats supported it than northern Republicans. As for southerners, very few supported it. No southern Republican supported it. And then came Nixon trying to appeal to the anger many southerners had towards Blacks and the gains they got in civil rights. Nixon tried to appeal with dog-whistle terms. Stuff like "forced busing". He lost the South, but not to a Democrat. He lost to George Wallace, a Dixiecrat who found himself disowned by the Democrats by the time 1968 came along. He was more blunt about being against Blacks. And then Reagan and his speech in Mississippi, the "I support states' rights" speech in Neshoba County, Mississippi. Considering that 3 civil rights activists were murdered in that county 16 years before (his speech was in 1980), this wouldn't go over well with Blacks. And then the "welfare queen" dog whistle, etc.

Let's put it this way. If more GOP want to appeal to Blacks, it will first need to apologize for the Southern Strategy. Bob Dole has admitted that the Southern Strategy is a part of why alot of Blacks don't vote GOP.

What does out of wedlock births and single parent homes have to do with some GOP politicians talking about Black people from a position of "they're pests" or "they're a burden on society"? I never said I had a problem with statistics. I've brought up out of wedlock births and single parent homes in other threads. I just don't speak of it in terms of "Democrat vs Republican". I speak of it separate from political issues. You are bringing a whataboutism into this because you want to paint this picture of "Blacks are crazy not to vote for politicians who speak very critical of Blacks"?

I notice you have no problem speaking ill of Black men. But I notice you don't talk about the fact that alot of Black boys aren't encouraged to stay in school and actually get degrees. I notice you don't talk about the abuse many Black boys have dealt with at the hands of a parent or guardian. I notice you don't bring up the fact that "gangster type Blacks" are more likely to get the women than the Black males who are the "nerdy" types, the Black men who have degrees and are not the "gangster" type. I notice that you don't bring up how many Black men are prevented from seeing their kids by women who want a man's money, but not that man. When cases of police brutality take place, it's mostly Black men. What about some of the Black women who have literally killed their kids and get a lesser punishment than Black men who committed attempted murder on adults? I guess you only care about being critical about Black men.

I haven't turned any blind eye to any problems. I just understand I can't do anything about it. The only thing I can do is work and take care of #1, me. I can volunteer, but not much more. I also don't live in the ghetto. Half of my problems are solved by simply staying away from the ghetto. Maybe one of the reasons I don't listen is because I'm sick of individuals who only want to talk about "Black problems" with the intent of complaining about Black people. Said persons don't care, they just want to vent their resentment towards Blacks. One reason I don't listen. I know there are many problems. I am just careful about who I talk to.

Who would I vote for: The politician who says "You need help so I'll help you" or the politician who says "you're a pest, a burden on society"? Would a person rather hear someone's pity, or someone's wrath?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Actually, Austin is 49% White, and 35% Hispanic.
Yea dunno which city I mixed it up with. The black population is under 10%in Austin. But my point still holds.

Quote:
So you would now have to admit that political party has nothing to do with it.
Now have too admit? It's about big government and the welfare state. That is the attraction much more so from the left when we're talking about people vs corporations.

Quote:
I've never once denied that in a single parent family, raising children is harder. There is more though. On the occassion when the father is the single parent, the child, mainly boy children, tend to turn out better. And you got the statistic mixed up. 70% of Black children are born out of WEDLOCK. 50% of Black children are raised in single parent homes. I've never denied it. I just understand there isn't much I can do or the government can do. One reason I don't talk about it as much.
You don't see government as the problem so you don't discuss it. That's where you miss the boat.
Your numbers if you count the transient adult who is living at the time with the birth parent. You do agree that generally speaking, the boyfriend being in the household is less influential than the birth father living in the household?

Quote:
And there is something you also ignore. Birmingham is not much different than many Rust Belt cities. Birmingham was a major steel city, and then it went the way of Cleveland. Loss of jobs, rise in crime. The most talented, most educated of Birmingham's Black population has been leaving Birmingham, and in many cases, Alabama altogether. Guess whose left. The a very large underclass within the Black population. Atlanta, on the other hand, has seen a major decline in its murder rate and has a thriving economy. And it's attracting a large Black middle class.
Make up your mind, which city? lol
Who leaves? The educated ones. The trained ones. Those that have more to contribute which gives them more options. And they get that way by being raised well. That group will always be children from 2 parent families.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
If Republicans ran Chicago and Baltimore, minorities like blacks and Hispanics would be flocking to those cities as they do every other place run by Republicans.
I disagree to an extent. Many Hispanics will flock to places whether they are Republican ran or Democratic ran. Blacks, on the other hand, well.............

I looked up a few cities that are Republican cities. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Omaha. All of those cities are seeing an increase in its Hispanic population. Blacks are not flocking to Tulsa, Oklahoma City, or Omaha. Wichita is a Republican city. It might have experienced a rapid growth in its Black population in the 50s and 60s, but not anymore. Not many Blacks are flocking to Wichita. Hispanics and Asians in flocking there, but the number of Blacks moving to Wichita is markedly smaller.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I disagree to an extent. Many Hispanics will flock to places whether they are Republican ran or Democratic ran. Blacks, on the other hand, well.............

I looked up a few cities that are Republican cities. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Omaha. All of those cities are seeing an increase in its Hispanic population. Blacks are not flocking to Tulsa, Oklahoma City, or Omaha. Wichita is a Republican city. It might have experienced a rapid growth in its Black population in the 50s and 60s, but not anymore. Not many Blacks are flocking to Wichita. Hispanics and Asians in flocking there, but the number of Blacks moving to Wichita is markedly smaller.
And Austin, blacks are not flocking to Austin.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yea dunno which city I mixed it up with. The black population is under 10%in Austin. But my point still holds.
You got Austin mixed up with Portland, which is 71% White. And it's less Black than Austin.

Quote:
Now have too admit? It's about big government and the welfare state. That is the attraction much more so from the left when we're talking about people vs corporations.
Plenty of big government on the right. Ever hear of corporate welfare?

Quote:
You don't see government as the problem so you don't discuss it. That's where you miss the boat.
Your numbers if you count the transient adult who is living at the time with the birth parent. You do agree that generally speaking, the boyfriend being in the household is less influential than the birth father living in the household?
Black Americans have led the USA in out of wedlock births, divorces, and single parent homes. Blacks have long led the USA in the percentage of families headed by females. This is stuff that has been going on since the 1930s. I don't blame the government for this because the welfare state wasn't huge. In fact, there was a welfare program that got started under Roosevelt. Mostly White women were able to get it because it was distributed by the states, and alot of Black women were excluded from it. Black women had to go out and work wherever they could. This still didn't stop the relatively high percentage of OOW births and single mother homes.

I never once said that 2 parent homes with the father there don't work. I've advocated many times on this forum 2 parent homes, having the father in the home. Now, no fault divorce opened a Pandora's box, but it affected everyone, Whites included. On the other hand, the stuff you're talking about, this has existed indepedent of the government.

Another reason I rarely blame the government is this. People choose to have kids outside of marriage. Women choose to have reckless sex with men who aren't going anywhere in life. You make alot of criticisms about Black men. I notice you aren't holding the women to the fire. A woman can always say no. A woman can always have better discernment in terms of understanding what a good man is.

Quote:
Make up your mind, which city? lol
Who leaves? The educated ones. The trained ones. Those that have more to contribute which gives them more options. And they get that way by being raised well. That group will always be children from 2 parent families.
Make up my mind? Come on, you know better than this. I brought up Atlanta because not many Blacks are moving to Austin. Alot of Blacks are relocating to the Atlanta area. By contrast, few Blacks move to Austin. Like I said, I never denied that being raised in a 2 parent home helps alot. However, you ignored my point completely. Birmingham is a rust belt city. I expected you to ask yourself WHY the talented, the trained, the educated among the Black population are more likely to leave Birmingham, and why the underclass is far more likely to stay. Think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies