Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Posters who are saying the shooter was not a racist are basically gaslighting conservative readers on this forum. Read the manifesto, it is absolutely the truth that the shooter was white nationalist.
Also gaslighting those of us who did read the manifesto, that what we read was not what we read. This is all sorts of messed up. The kid was quite clear.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Or do you prefer being spoon-fed what to think?

Warning, if you DO read it, you will distrust the media even more than you currently do. (I didn’t think that was possible for me, but voila!)

I swear— I would rather have one of my kids tell me that they’ve become a ***** or meth dealer than find out that they’re working for the media......
Sounds like you've read this manifesto and agree with the shooters motivation for carrying out this heinous act.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:07 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's a lot closer than the Demonics....when I was a kid in school, we prayed and didn't shoot anybody.
What's a Demonic?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He can't have an opinion?

It's not a gun problem. It's a people problem. Someone has to use the guns, or the knives, or the car when people get ran over for murderous purposes.
Because mass knifings and mass car crashes are oh so prevalent in other countries?

Funny other countries don't have the mass shooting problems that the US has. They have mentally ill people. They have video games. And in many, they have guns. Not just the silly non-gun laws that the USA has.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:14 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Texas Lt. Gov. blames massacre on lack of prayer in school

They Blame it on everything except the real, actual root cause.

While I have nothing specifically against Prayer, our Forefathers went to great links to
make sure there was a separation of Church and State.
We are not a Theocracy.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Prayer has power. It is wise to pray for this nation, especially when it is in the condition it is in. Obviously kids lack of prayer in school did not cause this shooter to do what he did. That was caused by sin in our world. Can prayer prevent this kind of violence? Absolutely!
Making a wish to an invisible, imaginary entity (that's what prayer is) makes as much sense as summoning your local favorite fairy or leprechaun to do you a favor. Or asking Santa for a toy because you were good. Leave the religious stuff where it belongs, in Mosques, Temples, Synagogues and Churches, but not in tax paid schools.

Teach students responsibility. Most teachers do a good job of that, it is other societal groups who won't address some of the root causes of these mass killings.

Unfettered access to guns. No safe storage laws. No screening done. No limit on magazine capacity. Common sense stuff. But that takes common sense.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 AM

30,408 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Such an precocious way to elucidate your position. Bet your mama is proud.
She is dead fred.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It’s pretty simple: you read the manifesto, and then you watch/read the media reports. After about two minutes, you realize, “holy crap, they’re lying...”
I read it (it was shared in the el paso thread). I can agree with several points he made about the republican and democratic parties along with basically the US imploding.
Do I agree with his actions....absolutely 1,000% not. I think he would have spread his message more by just stating his opinion on reddit or social media and letting it go from there. I think some of his feeling are how several feel over all this political BS.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:44 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
I liked how the Governor or some spokesman was saying " This isn't Texas". Uhhh... the shooter was born in Texas. The shooter lived in Texas. The shooting was in Texas. The shooter targeted the place due to a political issue that is centered in Texas.
It's Texas. In case he doesn't know, Texas is a VERY messed up state.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:07 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
There's always more we can do.

We can be like Britain and Europe and ban all firearms from civilian use, but I'm a centrist Democrat and I agree that this would constitute losing some of our essential character as a nation. So while I'm on the gun control side, I don't support going that far.

I think with these mass shootings, the main thing is that they are psychos. It's not so much the power of the weapon of they are using, but the fact that they are a psycho. Many non-psychos own semiautomatic rifles and don't do mass shootings.

The question is...how do you detect that someone is going to do that? A criminal background check isn't enough, if the guy has no criminal record.

I think we need to add things to that background check (both the instant one and the 10 day one, or whatever the longer one is). For example, if you're seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist, flag. If you're taking medications for a mental disorder, flag. If police have been notified that you might be a psycho, flag.

Anytime somebody falls through the cracks in the system, we need to go back and figure out how they were missed, and see if we can patch that hole. It's a continual battle.

Well, A and B.

A: That's a wonderful way to encourage people not to seek help for their problems, be the invasive government.

B: "Might be a psycho?" There's a nice handful of people who might say that about me just because I don't fit their image what a woman should be......but what do they know, what qualifies them to have an influence on my life.......with the power you would like to give the mean and spiteful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies