Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Who gets to make that arbitrary call? (Which it would be if no crime was already committed)

You?

No. Whoever is in power would.

Remember, the same unchecked power you're clamouring for could also be used against you.

I don't think people in this thread are grasping that.
Like all statists, they are putting ends before means. Security above freedom. Emotion guiding logic.

It's standard operating procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about the good things?

I make more money in a year than my mom (still living) made in her lifetime. Does she get a forced cut?
That doesn’t burden society or put my safety at risk....

I’m not saying patents should share the successes and failures of their children.

I’m saying the parents are responsible for the actions of a wild animal they have released into society.

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post

Parents of “bad eggs” should have a percentage of all wages garnished and put in a trust that wii continue supporting the “bad eggs” after the parents have passed.
It might not be a bad idea to require parents to maintain insurance for their kids actions, as long as they are living with them, just as car owners must maintain insurance. Both designed to cover risk to society (which is what general liability car insurance requirements are).

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We need to eliminate semiautomatic weapons in public hands.
I'd like it restricted in manner similar to how founders restricted voting. To own, you must either rent or own your OWN home, have worked full-time at least 5 years, have paid both Federal & State Income taxes 5 straight years, have NO criminal record at all, including sealed childhood. In short prove you are a responsible self-sustaining adult. Not Jr in mommy's basement playing a Gameboy all day.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
https://listverse.com/2016/11/01/10-...tal-disorders/

There was a time when people thought hanging out under a full moon was enough cause to lock someone in an asylum.

Think about that.
What we need is some good old fashion witch trials. That should please both statist teams in their quest to identify and eradicate evil from others (never from them though...they're infallible).

Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Before this incident what did Walmart boy do to earn being forcibly institutionalized?

We don't know that yet. I think that it's a safe assumption that he was crazy!

Old 08-04-2019, 11:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
His manifesto perhaps.

But beyond any one person-We have millions on our streets who pose dangers to both themselves and the general public, and the closing of these places to safely house them was irresponsible.
Not to mention the people on the streets who sadly have no clue and shouldn’t be there. I was in San Francisco several years ago and there was this elderly lady who just about got run over by a car as she just walked right into traffic without looking. We were about to help stop her when another person closer to her stopped her. She was obviously not competent.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:36 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
I'm in. Universal, comprehensive healthcare, including mental health. Like, y'know, the rest of the Western world.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:40 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The uncomfortable truth is that all of these mass shooters of the past several decades committed these acts NOT because they were truly clinically insane, or because guns were easily available, or because certain politicians or political ideology made them do it.

These people committed these acts simply because they were bored narcissist sociopaths who wanted their 15 minutes of infamy. They all follow the same pattern. Rantings and ravings on social media. Picking a public venue to commit their heinous deeds. It's no wonder some polls show that young people in this country were more interested in becoming social media stars or famous celebrities, than becoming doctors or engineers. Everyone wants to be famous, and this has never been more easy with the widespread availability of the internet and social media. This is something many of us have been pointing out for many years now.

And what better way to get that attention and notoriety these people so crave, than to commit a very public and very heinous crime that strikes fear at the hearts of society? Long after the shooting, people will still be bickering over irrelevant issues such as gun control, while the shooters deeds will live on in infamy in the record books. This is ultimately what these shooters want, doesn't matter if they claim ISIS as inspiration, don't matter if they claim christian identity politics, the outer reasons may appear different for each of these mass shootings, but the inner motives of the shooters are all the same.

Mark my words, it won't be long before another copy cat also wants his name in the media non stop, seeing his face and manifesto all over the internet and all over the world. I'm surprised there haven't been more acts, but my guess is that many of these shootings were stopped due to bad timing or some other inconvenience.

People in this society want to believe in the order of nature, that good things happen to good people, and bad things only happen to bad people, and in their delusional world, these people think there MUST be some reason a person decides to gun down 10, 20, 30 people in public besides for the publicity and infamy.

Mark my words. This is the best explanation for the madness of mass shootings

Old 08-04-2019, 11:52 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I’m not one for denying freedom on what “other” people say about someone but if a reasonable process is implemented I’m all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies