Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 04:16 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times

Advertisements

So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

If I were in a conversation with someone who genuinely asked me this question, this is what I would say:

Join other Americans, if you have not already done so, and pledge to transform this latest national sorrow into effective action. Let's stop this horror from being normal in the USA.

Call on your legislators to take action to combat gun violence. Ask them to enact a ban on sales of military-style assault rifles, as well as high-capacity magazines.

Ask your legislators to make background checks mandatory.

Help other Americans remove these weapons of war from our streets. The only purpose of these instruments is to kill as many people as possible, and they are not needed to hunt or protect oneself, as responsible gun owners understand.

Ask the administration to convene a comprehensive study or panel on gun violence, one which includes a wide array of scientific expertise including those from medicine, law enforcement, the CDC etc.

Demand your legislators free themselves from the gun lobby.

Look for more solutions and consider those that may come from others, despite their political persuasion, because this American terror is not a partisan issue.

Support leaders who speak to the better angels of our nature and seek to unite America rather than divide it.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 08-04-2019 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: grammar repair

Old 08-04-2019, 04:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Rapid firing fully automatic variants these
Nut cases are using in every one of these mass murders.
The firearms you described have been banned since 1934 and none of the murderers were using them.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Not much can or will be done.

330 million people......many who hate each other's guts, 100 million firearms, divisions and anger that grows by the day, things will only get worse..

Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
It happens rather frequently.

A soldier in El Paso was armed, but he did what most people would do: he got himself and as many others as he could to safety. A face-to-face shootout is unlikely, and if a person with a pistol were to take on a rifle-wielding shooter at a distance the odds would not be in his/her favor - especially if the bad guy was wearing body armor.
I don't believe it happens as frequently as you allude to. I cannot think of one instance in a horrific mass shooting where any gun owner stepped in, not one. Everything played out in these mass shooting until law enforcement arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They are afraid the police will shoot anyone who is armed and most times they do.
Maybe that's true. And it's a sad dialogue.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I cannot think of one instance in a horrific mass shooting where any gun owner stepped in, not one. Everything played out in these mass shooting until law enforcement arrived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suther...hurch_shooting

Old 08-04-2019, 04:30 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I don't believe it happens as frequently as you allude to. I cannot think of one instance in a horrific mass shooting where any gun owner stepped in, not one. Everything played out in these mass shooting until law enforcement arrived.

Maybe that's true. And it's a sad dialogue.
A good guy with a gun stopped the church shooter who had plans to go elsewhere and shoot more people.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:45 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
So in other words, the”good guy with a gun stops a bad guy” is complete bullsh$t and deflection rhetoric?
Certainly in Massachusetts. Buy your own and deal with the anti state bullshlt.Dont depend on me,see my previous post #111. cops don't want help in a shooting.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:50 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A good guy with a gun stopped the church shooter who had plans to go elsewhere and shoot more people.
There are instances like the ones you mention, but not nearly enough to sit idly by and cry at those wanting more from gun control. May have saved more lives down the road, but no intervention as the first wave of death occurred. Granted, not sure if people bring their guns to church.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Join a well-regulated militia, as the amendment intends.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 PM

472 posts, read 431,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Continue to follow gun laws, and practice gun safety every single day.

There’s nothing that gun owners can do to stop a deranged maniac from using one to kill. We can’t stop guys with knives, people plowing through crowds with cars, etc. etc. All we can do is remain law-abiding citizens.

The actions of one crazed person are not the fault or responsibility of the rest of us. Don’t allow people to let you feel that way.
I like he bold part. I am 100% with you on it. BUT ... it has to be applicable to every such situation.

Remember it when ONE lunatic moron from the Islamic community goes on a murderous rage. Just like you don't blame ALL gun owners for this one lunatic moron DO NOT blame the entire Islamic community for the actions of that ONE lunatic moron.

PS: I took Islamic community as an example but it should apply to every other category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies