Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 05:23 PM

18,410 posts, read 7,042,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.

What do you expect us to do beyond being responsible, legal gun owners?

Do we have some type of responsibility to give up our rights incrementally every time there's a mass shooting?

Do you have a responsibility to give up your right to drive a car a little bit at a time every time someone drives drunk ..... or willingly and purposely uses a vehicle as a deadly weapon?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,130,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

If I were in a conversation with someone who genuinely asked me this question, this is what I would say:

Join other Americans, if you have not already done so, and pledge to transform this latest national sorrow into effective action. Let's stop this horror from being normal in the USA.

Call on your legislators to take action to combat gun violence. Ask them to enact a ban on sales of military-style assault rifles, as well as high-capacity magazines.

Ask your legislators to make background checks mandatory.

Help other Americans remove these weapons of war from our streets. The only purpose of these instruments is to kill as many people as possible, and they are not needed to hunt or protect oneself, as responsible gun owners understand.

Ask the administration to convene a comprehensive study or panel on gun violence, one which includes a wide array of scientific expertise including those from medicine, law enforcement, the CDC etc.

Demand your legislators free themselves from the gun lobby.

Look for more solutions and consider those that may come from others, despite their political persuasion, because this American terror is not a partisan issue.

Support leaders who speak to the better angels of our nature and seek to unite America rather than divide it.
Actual ideas towards a solution. Well said!

Old 08-04-2019, 05:26 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,183,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Then it would be up to you to make the politicians understand your point of view.
Politicians that never owned guns all their lives wont understand the needs of gunholders.
It would behoove you to help them understand things from your point of view, so they wont want to disarm the American people.
They simply don't care and look down their noses at people who think differently. President Obama made that abundantly clear with his "bitter clingers" speech.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:30 PM

21,820 posts, read 9,377,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but someday I hope to be one by moving out of New York City. What happened here is that we as a society need to do a better job with managing mental health. We have a mental health crisis here in America, especially in white America in which the government has ignored in the past 30 years such as the opioid crisis. We also have 50 years of feminism which alienated men out of the work and sexual market place. All of this that I mentioned is resulting in a power keg causing mainly white males and others to explode in rage. This stuff is not funny either. Removing guns, or eliminating the 2nd Amendment mainly proposed by the modern day Social Justice left wont solve mass shootings and active shooting scenarios. Persons can easily use knives, chemicals or bombs,vehicles to inflect harm on multiple levels. We as a society need to fix mental health, and those democrat candidates nor Trump are talking about mental health.
I agree with you and I also think a lot of the mental health problems started with the rise of the internet. Think about it. Columbine happened right around the late 90's. What ELSE was going on then? EVERYONE was getting computers and internet.

I know a lot of parents whose kids go ballistic when their parents take their phone/computer/video games aways for any period of time. This generation is completely addicted to these devices and don't learn to interact with people. And as a parent, sometimes seeing how kids grow up now, I almost wish I didn't have kids sometimes. My kids isolate themselves no matter how much I push them to go out in the real world and interact with humans. And I try to keep my kids off the devices but school requires them. My daughter who has ADHD went to summer school this summer and got her first A in a long time (A in the course)...maybe ever. In spite of being gifted. And why? Because the entire class was OFF the computer. She had to read a real live textbook, take notes and do her assignments on paper. It was 3 weeks of pure bliss because she succeeded.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:31 PM

472 posts, read 430,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
They simply don't care and look down their noses at people who think differently. President Obama made that abundantly clear with his "bitter clingers" speech.
I don't even remember him saying it but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, that was ONE time and you're still butt hurt from it. Imagine how we feel with what has been going on for 2.5 years EVERY DAY? I mean c'mon!! We aren't even in the same worlds of comparisons here.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:38 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,130,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
So you want to complain about it but not try to get through to your local politicians?
Must not be that important to you. Maybe you just want to vent and thats it?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
I don't even remember him saying it but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, that was ONE time and you're still butt hurt from it.
I don't think a politician has ever said anything that would cause me to be "butt hurt." But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the president looked down his nose at people with different backgrounds and beliefs - sort of like what people complain about Trump doing.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
So you want to complain about it but not try to get through to your local politicians?
My politicians tend to be fairly pro-2A.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:41 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,394,291 times
Quote:
So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

Simple-don't shoot innocent people. There is very little responsible people can do about irresponsible people over any issue.

It's kind of like asking what "responsible" women can do about prostitution.

We can also make it a point to carry as much as possible in order to stop a mass shooting in its tracks-but the odds of any individual being in a position to do so is about the same as being hit by lightning.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
There seems to be a lot of kids committing these crimes. I'm 61 and not pissed off at the world. How pissed off at the world can you be at 21?

No shortage of people grew up with huge chips on their shoulders. What our generation did not have was the internet/ social media, the common tools of self radicalization and depreciation.

I tend to view most of the sensational mass shootings as first and foremost suicide by cop or self inflicted. Taking as many others with is narcissistic fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies