Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 06:35 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Notice Australia hasn't had any mass shootings lately?
They only had one before that.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They only had one before that.
Didn't take them long to act, did it? I can still go hunting in Australia, just not with some mega-magazine rapid fire gun.

Works for me. 'Roo meat is mighty good on the barbie.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
My own guess is that the reason places like Switzerland appear to be more free of this kind of thing is that it's full of Swiss people.

Funny thing, that.

There's a lot to be said for a high functioning monolithic culture.
I guess you should examine which monolithic culture is responsible for the mass shootings. It isn't the Muslims, it's the fringe mentality that embraces hate instead of the fact that immigrants are here to stay. Research minorities in Switzerland and you will discover that there are roughly 2 million minorities from France, Italy, Germany and Rhaeto-Romansh. I'm sure those differences are cause for resentment in some, yet, no hate speeches and no mass shootings.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is more happening in those countries than just the passing of a gun law. The US passes those countries in every means of homicide. And the US is less compassionate, less concerned, about every other way people are killed (including capital punishment, which is a case in point).

The big difference is an American indifference toward death, which manifests itself in numerous different ways. I so many of the political debates in the US: Capital punishment, universal health care, abortion, immigration, every in-depth discussion boils down to people looking you in the eye and saying, "I don't give a damn if those people die."
I disagree. If you look at poll numbers you will see that the vast majority of people favor stricter gun laws, a woman's right to choose, and better immigration laws. There is a fringe hate fueled minority that will look you in the eye and say that "I don't give a damn if those people die." I believe the vast majority of people do care and want reform. "Moscow Mitch" won't allow legislation to be brought up on the floor because the NRA is a powerful lobby and has bought and paid for the vote.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:33 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
But, the BIG question, Pedro, is, do we need assault weapons with multiple round drum magazines to do that ? I am a pretty good shot, have service metals to prove it, and I have no problem with owning SENSIBLE weaponry. Where I draw the line is you or me owning a gun that spews out hundreds of rounds of ammunition in a few seconds. NO CIVILIAN needs those.....no one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It's believed that the Las Vegas mass shooting involved the use of a fully automatic weapon as one of the weapons or that the killer might have converted a semi to an automatic with a bunch of changes. But I don't know if that's been confirmed officially.

Fully automatic weapons are illegal.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Think how many that smoke weed that would instantly be made illegal to own.

Exactly my point. But then again, that will really stir the pot up so to speak. I can just see it now.

Gov't Agent: Welcome Mr Smith, You submitted your application for Federal firearm licensing and complete background check.

Mr Smith: Yes sir. All I have is one rifle I go deer hunting with every fall. Now that i'm retired, I've really had the time to enjoy hunting again and try and get out whenever I can. I love hunting but i'm not one of those AR-15 loving gun nuts that's for sure. I'm glad to see this country taking steps to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them! People that own 50 guns are nuts and should have their head examined! If this is what it takes to make the country safer then I am all for it!

Gov't Agent: Your background check came back. I see here you were cited for smoking weed in 1969?

Mr Smith: Uh, what? I was 18 then. That was 50 years ago!

Gov't Agent: Mr Smith, your license is denied and you are now deemed a prohibited person. You have 30 days to turn in, or sell your hunting rifle and submit evidence that it has been done or a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Do you understand?

Mr Smith:

Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Didn't take them long to act, did it? I can still go hunting in Australia, just not with some mega-magazine rapid fire gun.

Works for me. 'Roo meat is mighty good on the barbie.
There is supposed to be a huge black market selling semi auto rifles there.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Exactly my point. But then again, that will really stir the pot up so to speak. I can just see it now.

Gov't Agent: Welcome Mr Smith, You submitted your application for Federal licensing and background check.

Mr Smith: Yes sir. All I have is one rifle I go deer hunting with every fall. Now that i'm retired, I've really had the time to enjoy hunting again and try and get out whenever I can. I love hunting but i'm not one of those AR-15 loving gun nuts that's for sure. I'm glad to see this country taking steps to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them!

Gov't Agent: Your background check came back. I see here you were cited for smoking weed in 1969?

Mr Smith: Uh, what? I was 18 then. That was 50 years ago!

Gov't Agent: Mr Smith, your license is denied and you are now deemed a prohibited person. You have 30 days to turn in, or sell your hunting rifle and submit evidence that it has been done or a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Do you understand?

Mr Smith:
Quite possible.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I guess you should examine which monolithic culture is responsible for the mass shootings. It isn't the Muslims, it's the fringe mentality that embraces hate instead of the fact that immigrants are here to stay.
Importing immigrants is what those who "embrace hate" do. Objecting to that is natural and right.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I guess you should examine which monolithic culture is responsible for the mass shootings.
The culture of moral decay
No mass shooter knew Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies