Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

I figured the Drones, Tanks, rocket strikes, and Nukes were enough to prove that an AR15 for protection against a government is silly. Also the fact that we have a all volunteer military. The people have been outgunned by the military for 50+ years now.

Even if a militia of nut jobs could save up 5000 rounds of ammo and a AR 15. That ammo wouldn't last 1 week in a real war and who is going to supply you? Wal-Mart and Johns gun store would likely be out of supply and your not melting down lead to put into a semi-automatic rifle.

Governments fight wars of attrition with the threat of violence, or just enough to scare the sheepish. Your water supply, sickness, and food supply matter more than your gun when fighting a government.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:05 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The assault weapons ban was weak, too many exemptions and companies merely slightly modified their product line to bypass. Yet people always point to the AWB as being non-effective when in reality it wasn't meaningful legislation.
Because the libs got greedy and tried to include everything like handguns, shotguns and copy cat rifles. Then they tried to work around by features. They knew if they simply said "center fire" it would have been slapped down as unconstitutional so they went with what they had which ended up being a big fat nothing burger.

CA just went the same route just to say they "did something" even if something was nothing.

Too bad our side has just as good Attorneys. Maybe even much better.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I figured the Drones, Tanks, rocket strikes, and Nukes were enough to prove that an AR15 for protection against a government is silly. Also the fact that we have a all volunteer military. The people have been outgunned by the military for 50+ years now.

Even if a militia of nut jobs could save up 5000 rounds of ammo and a AR 15. That ammo wouldn't last 1 week in a real war and who is going to supply you? Wal-Mart and Johns gun store would likely be out of supply and your not melting down lead to put into a semi-automatic rifle.

Governments fight wars of attrition with the threat of violence, or just enough to scare the sheepish. Your water supply, sickness, and food supply matter more than your gun when fighting a government.
In one of my military sniper books, there is a list of sniper targets in a defensive situation. This
https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Pu...-02-130206-573
is not quite the list I know (but many of the illustrations are similar) and look at the flow chart on 1-2.

EDIT: Okay, here's one, page 4-35. A man against a tank? Well, if done correctly.....
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MIL...ugust_1994.pdf
End EDIT.

Look how "successful" the Beltway Sniper was for a while.....and he was an amateur.

As I said, one may not be able to win but they can probably make it very expensive for those who try to change the country.

EDIT: Of course I have sniper books, I'm a law enforcement researcher. That's what I do. I have Gerber's books on homicide investigation, Burgess and Hazelwood, Army and USMC training manuals, metallurgy (such as to know when a whole bunch of cyanide shows up...or goes missing), etc.. If it is a text that gives me an insight on a small piece of information to be able to figure out the big picture, I have it!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-06-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yeah, this viewpoint is idiotic and destructive. Continuing to saturate a society with guns based on the powerlessness felt by a handful of angry paranoid dudes.

Obviously, the problems we are dealing with now are EXACTLY the result of that. But call other people names because the truth hurts.

The countries obsession with guns IS the reason these mass shootings are so common. Period.

The quasi religious fervor with which the obsessed try to deflect from the obvious issue is pathetic.
Any gun ban will have zero effect. But keep trying. It’s entertaining watching liberals fail.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In one of my military sniper books, there is a list of sniper targets in a defensive situation. This
https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Pu...-02-130206-573
is not quite the list I know (but many of the illustrations are similar) and look at the flow chart on 1-2.

EDIT: Okay, here's one, page 4-35. A man against a tank? Well, if done correctly.....
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MIL...ugust_1994.pdf
End EDIT.

Look how "successful" the Beltway Sniper was for a while.....and he was an amateur.

As I said, one may not be able to win but they can probably make it very expensive for those who try to change the country.

EDIT: Of course I have sniper books, I'm a law enforcement researcher. That's what I do. I have Gerber's books on homicide investigation, Burgess and Hazelwood, Army and USMC training manuals, metallurgy (such as to know when a whole bunch of cyanide shows up...or goes missing), etc.. If it is a text that gives me an insight on a small piece of information to be able to figure out the big picture, I have it!
Again, everyone step back: This is the fantasy world that drives the rationale behind people having access to high capacity semi auto weapons. Because the big bad government is going to take over, and Joe yahoo thinks they are the heroes who will stop it.

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Sounds like the only recourse is to repeal 2A.

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Right, who needs one of those assault rifle things. I just picked up a great little polymer 9mm pistol, the Extar EP9, along with some 33 rd mags...I highly recommend it, great value for the price point.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Sounds like the only recourse is to repeal 2A.
Experts say there are two ways to go about it. The first process requires that any proposed amendment to the Constitution be passed by both the House and the Senate with two-thirds majorities. It would then need to be ratified by three-fourths of the 50 states – or 38 of them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/repeali...even-possible/

And then this, right now you'd need 3 x the number of States most likely to agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ults/president

Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
So, just to summarize:
- we can't ban assault weapons
- we can't repeal 2A
- we can't control the nut cases

Sounds like we just need to learn to live with the consequences. So be sure to hug your kids every morning as it may be the last time you see them.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You don't get rid of crazy people by getting rid of guns.
Crazy people are always going to be here.
This is not some heavenly place where all is peace and love.
The world is a dangerous place.
Any type of gun control just seeks to create MORE victims. PERIOD.
The side effects of closing Insane Asylums and letting the insane run the streets and run for office.
Society must conform to the mentally ill... NOW, THAT IS INSANE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies