Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 10:35 AM

29,482 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can you outline the fundamental difference between an AK47 and <insert any semi-auto rifle here>?

you won't get a solid answer, or the reply will be "it doesn't matter"

Old 08-16-2019, 10:39 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
you won't get a solid answer, or the reply will be "it doesn't matter"
The original AK47 was fully automatic. Totally different than a semi auto.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks. That oath makes sense as it delineates the unique role that members of the National Guard have, where they are primarily under the authority of the governor of their state, but can also be under the authority of the President of the United States when called to active federal service. But even here they swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. As the president (and governor) is not above the Constitution, I don't see how this oath is problematic.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 PM

29,482 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The original AK47 was fully automatic. Totally different than a semi auto.
What does that have to do with anything ? That version has been restricted since '86

Old 08-16-2019, 08:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything ? That version has been restricted since '86
They were asking the fundamental difference.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:04 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
"What does that have to do with anything ?" The anti-gunners CONSTANTLY call the AR-15 an "assault weapon" and "military style"' because they no NOTHING about guns and want to MAKE people think they are FULL-automatic and "military style", so others will think they ARE military weapons.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:45 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Default Protection?

One way to dispel the confusion about America, versus other countries, regarding firearms is to remember this: Americans are not subjects of their government. So it has no political power to deny American people their endowed right to life and to defend that life with whatever means they deem necessary.

In fact, only by explicit consent can the government go beyond securing endowed rights [see Declaration of Independence]. No other government, including the French revolution, dared to recognize that the people were superior to the government.

This a legal distinction as well, and explains why Americans do not bow nor kneel to monarchs - because we're their social and legal equals. And why "common" Americans can marry foreign nobility without violating local laws on marriage to commoners.

Americans are sovereigns without subjects - unless they consent otherwise.

Servant dares not tell the Master what to do, lest he get spanked. Thus the preponderance of arms in the private sector discourage the would be dictators and warlords from thinking they can rise in power over the united States of America.
- - - -
REFERENCE
“... at the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people, and they are truly the sovereigns of the country, but they are sovereigns without subjects, and have none to govern but themselves. . .
“... In Europe, the sovereignty is generally ascribed to the Prince; here, it rests with the people; there, the sovereign actually administers the government; here, never in a single instance; our Governors are the agents of the [sovereign] people, and, at most, stand in the same relation to their sovereign [the people] in which regents in Europe stand to their sovereigns.”
- - - Justice John Jay, Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 2 Dall. 419 419 (1793)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/2/419#writing-USSC_CR_0002_0419_Z
. . . . . .
.................................................. ...............
ALIEN, n. An American sovereign in his probationary state.
- - - - “The Devil’s Dictionary” (1906), by Ambrose Bierce
(download available from gutenberg.org)
.................................................. ...............

Old 08-17-2019, 06:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What does that have to do with anything ?" The anti-gunners CONSTANTLY call the AR-15 an "assault weapon" and "military style"' because they no NOTHING about guns and want to MAKE people think they are FULL-automatic and "military style", so others will think they ARE military weapons.
A and B

A: I get sort of a kick out out of that my deceased father's 8mm Mauser hunting rifle is so often described as a military style hunting rifle.

B: If people think that the AR in -15 means automatic or assault rifle........I wonder what they think of the AR-7!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

I would argue that this is not true.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.
In revisiting this post, I got a kick out of the absurd wording in paragraph 2..."in similar countries with similar constitutional values".

Those countries have no Constitution. They have governments that issue their rights. Ours are God-given.

This is an example of how our educational system has twisted the minds of our young.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You're still struggling man. Nowhere near 15000 people are killed with service style rifles in a year."

YOU are he one struggling with, "service style rifles"

I am? How so? I have NEVER in my life called semi autos "assault rifles." Habit from my upbringing. Military weapons are all "Service rifles" and I cut my teeth on the Garand and 03 Springfield. With the M14 and M16 the AR and M1A are (and have always been to me) "service STYLE rifles. Because they are not true service (or "assault if you prefer) rifles.

My Dad who trained me was a purist that way and insisted I use proper terminology. If it makes you feel any better I have gone on record here blaming the shooting community for the "assault" term being applied to the AR and other semi auto weapons of the type. Oh...I remember gun stores advertising these rifles in the 80s as "assault rifles" and a lot of shooters used the term as well.

The gun and gun owner haters picked it up from them. But personally I'm not struggling at all. My upbringing and training with rifles of the type in question has revolved around competitions such as Camp Perry. Called...yep..."service rifle competition." The AR is now included in these matches but due to it's range and power limitations is in its own class.

It doesn't run alongside Garands and M1As. LOL, sorry man. No "gotcha" moment here. The AR is just like its predecessor the M1A. (M16 M14) A service style rifle. For civilian use. I'm unsure as to where we are ..at odds.. here. Bu this is terminology I have used my whole life. My Dad shot for the Navy and was seriously old school. He absolutely despised the M16/AR15 as a worthless mouse gun unsuited for service let alone serious competition. He never saw me with an AR in my hands and that I actually owned one I kept hidden from him.

He might have seen me drug behind a horse and hung. LOL. But I couldn't afford a Garand or M1A. I finally did get an M1A later in life but my wonderful ex took care of that in our divorce. So I was back to the mouse gun class for me in service competition. It's OK but it ain't an M1A.

Now I am the "old man" to a son of my own who is a dedicated shooter. I have always insisted he use proper terminology as well. He competes in different events as a matter of course than I did coming up. More action oriented stuff like 3 Gun, IPSC/USPSA, IDPA and ICORE. But in the beginning he cut his teeth on Bullseye and Service Rifle just like I did.

If there's a problem with my terminology I assure you I was quite unaware of it.

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-17-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies