Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:34 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times

Advertisements

I agree with OP that overexposure to today’s video games simply can’t be that good for young men. When you’re foregoing real life to sit at home and shoot people, I think the lines between the real world and the one you’ve limited yourself to get blurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 12:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MrsM and I attended several self defense seminars sponsored by The Buckeye Firearms Association. Great National and International speakers like Mosad Aayoob , Lt Col Dave Grossman, William April, Jimmy Meeks and Carl Chin. Look them up

One very chilling element common to all of them was that electronic games "immunize" certain people to violence. The best soldiers of today played hours and hours and hours of games on their computers or TVs and killed more people (electronically) before they ever got into the military than an entire WWll division killed during the war.

Combine this unique skill-set with mental illness and a false sense of some wrong committed to them, you now have a killing machine that is not bothered by screams, smells, blood and guts.

I'm willing to bet that the El Paso killer was a gamer...

We no longer lock crazies in institutions, they either live on the streets or sit, locked up in their bedrooms eating Cheetos and playing computer games
I am happy that I never played video games. Violent games just like violent movies lead to a reduced value of human life in the mind of that person, turning them into a sort of cold-blooded psychopath. Not to mention all kinds of -isms. I wish action movies and video games were banned here.

My mom was very strict on any kinds of weapons, never aim a gun at a human being, not even a water pistol or a paint gun

Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am happy that I never played video games. Violent games just like violent movies lead to a reduced value of human life in the mind of that person, turning them into a sort of cold-blooded psychopath. Not to mention all kinds of -isms. I wish action movies and video games were banned here.

My mom was very strict on any kinds of weapons, never aim a gun at a human being, not even a water pistol or a paint gun
First of all, I am a little out of date on the violent video games. I think the last one I played was UT2004 and I lost the ability to play that in some Windows upgrade.

Game playing is rather interesting for me for I do approach as I have been trained. Remember Duke Nukem 3D? All the sexual suggestions in that game? I would ignore them for to me, they were distractions to draw me into the kill zone.

The suggestion above says to turn them into a sort of cold blooded psychopath......or is it, instead, a proud and discipline professional. I take pride in my martial skills and with one movie, and not much of an action one at that (by today's standards) rather illustrates that:

Oh, no - it's quite restful. It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.--Joubert, Three Days of the Condor

Of course, I would never go into such work for as another set of movie lines says:

Money is too expensive to be made that way. --Kendig, Hopscotch

I've played games.....and I've been laser/video scenarios. This day, I practice on silhouettes, only on the sil.

So what are the other factors that makes one bad or not? Personally, I would say good mentorship. I remember the words well from back in JROTC when in formation, the junior instructor stopped infront of me and said, "Sgt. Ounce, what are you?".

Being caught off guard, I responded with "I'm the best, Sir.". He then asked how do I know that? Again, caught off guard, I said, "Because I believe it!".

"Good, very good. You can't get anywhere in life if you don't believe in yourself.".

Old 08-04-2019, 01:27 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Well the important thing is that you have found something to blame that doesn't conflict with any of your well established pre existing beliefs.
Whew, real close one! You can almost hear the cognitive dissonance rattling around up there.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:30 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MrsM and I attended several self defense seminars sponsored by The Buckeye Firearms Association. Great National and International speakers like Mosad Aayoob , Lt Col Dave Grossman, William April, Jimmy Meeks and Carl Chin. Look them up

One very chilling element common to all of them was that electronic games "immunize" certain people to violence. The best soldiers of today played hours and hours and hours of games on their computers or TVs and killed more people (electronically) before they ever got into the military than an entire WWll division killed during the war.

Combine this unique skill-set with mental illness and a false sense of some wrong committed to them, you now have a killing machine that is not bothered by screams, smells, blood and guts.

I'm willing to bet that the El Paso killer was a gamer...

We no longer lock crazies in institutions, they either live on the streets or sit, locked up in their bedrooms eating Cheetos and playing computer games
Hmmm... Seems to me that video games are a worldwide phenomenon. Yet somehow the mass shootings aren't. Weird, that. It's as if perhaps other factors are at play?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
This is like Christians blaming heavy metal music for kids committing Suicide in the 80s. If you can’t tell the difference between video games have video game in real life you have mental issues. Of course parents won’t admit that little Tommy/Sally have said issues, until they gun someone down or hurt themselves.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
This is like saying that all the champion Madden NFL players get drafted to the NFL. My son was at one time the BEST Call of Duty player IN THE WORLD and he wouldn't kill a fly. Crazy people will always find a way.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well OP all this on the premise that you think he was a 'gamer'.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:38 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Again and again this notion is proven false.

It’s not a gun problem. It’s not a video game problem. We have a hate problem, that is being stoked by the President.
You were right until you were wrong. Did BO "stoke" mass shootings? Did Bush? Clinton? Come on man.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:44 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You were right until you were wrong. Did BO "stoke" mass shootings? Did Bush? Clinton? Come on man.
People today seem to want to place blame on everything and everyone EXCEPT the perpetrator of the crime itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies