Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
What's an assault weapon?

People, don't keep using the left's ambiguous language to describe guns. Make them define it. They can't. Because every gun is an assault weapon if it is used in an assault.
Other countries have already defined what they find unacceptable and it's semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Ends justify the means, then.

No, it absolutely, literally, and unequivocally matters what a term "means" when applied to law.
But that term is not used in the law. The law, itself, contains specific features that are banned. For my money, I am actually good with banning everything not a single shot shotgun. But I could get with ANYTHING with semi-automatic fire.

Quote:
What does this "whataboutism" have to do with the price of tea?
It is interesting. That is why I used the term interesting.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. It will lessen them for sure. The thing is, the current laws and enforcement of same is not doing the job. I am not wedded to more law. If enforcement were shown to work, when applied, I would be all over it.
They aren't calling for more ENFORCEMENT, nor fixing the justice system that allows these multiple Felons already convicted of gun charges, and violent crime back on the street very soon. That's where they SHOULD focus. Instead the push more laws, bans, confiscation etc only for the law abiding.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
This ban expired. Interestingly, the mass shootings went dramatically UP after it. Hmmmm.

People lose their noodle about the term "assault weapon" interestingly a term originally coined by gun makers to increase the appeal of some of their weapons. But the truth is, that is a distraction. The term assault weapon may be used in a pejorative way by many as a rhetorical method. Such is life. But it is a short hand that people use. Legislation includes actual enforceable details like semi-automatic features. This is good.

I think banning semi-automatic weapon is a Very Good Thing. I really feel badly for hunters, in particular, who are influenced by these gun control issues. Not SOOOO badly that I think it over rides public safety concerns. And not at all if they hunt with semi-automatic weapons.
Everything you post is wrong or intended to be wrong. Does that make you feel better?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They aren't calling for more ENFORCEMENT, nor fixing the justice system that allows these multiple Felons already convicted of gun charges, and violent crime back on the street very soon. That's where they SHOULD focus. Instead the push more laws, bans, confiscation etc only for the law abiding.
Start that convo here then. Convince me. I am one of "them". I vote. And I speak. What laws, in particular, are you convinced enforcement will improve the rates of accidental and mass shootings? Thanks.

Ah edited to add: You are calling for a comprehensive reform of the criminal justice system? I am All In. What does that look like to you? More privatized incarceration? Lock 'em up and throw away the key regardless of cost? Civil rights? **** THAT. THEY don't get civil rights. Certainly less civil rights than my right to own a gun. False imprisonment? Continued criminalization of mental health?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Everything you post is wrong or intended to be wrong. Does that make you feel better?
Gee thanks. That was super helpful. You advanced the dialog nicely.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:06 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
But that term is not used in the law. The law, itself, contains specific features that are banned. For my money, I am actually good with banning everything not a single shot shotgun. But I could get with ANYTHING with semi-automatic fire.

It is interesting. That is why I used the term interesting.
So why use any uncertain language? Just say what you mean in actual defining terms.

What law are you referencing?

What does a "ban" entail, to you?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
So why use any uncertain language? Just say what you mean in actual defining terms.

What law are you referencing?

What does a "ban" entail, to you?
I will await your reply to my queries. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
I will await your reply to my queries. Thanks.
What? What questions are you referencing?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
What? What questions are you referencing?
Sorry. Mixed you up with Pilot1. Feel free to comment there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies