Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Ive seen these mentioned in some other threads on the board, but Im wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question...

We know part of the duties of militia is to ensure tyranny never takes over, so they are responsible for protecting against foreign and domestic threats, who makes the call, when its time for the militia to rise up and take action against a domestic threat?

Who determines there is a domestic threat to begin with?

Seems like with all this talk of Govt creating new laws on guns, (or if they should do this), we would be hearing the militias opinion on this? I dont even know who speaks for the militia in my state?!!

Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The government will squash any home grown militias before they even get started. Our founding fathers would be shocked at what has become of our nation and the constitution.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:24 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive seen these mentioned in some other threads on the board, but Im wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question...

We know part of the duties of militia is to ensure tyranny never takes over, so they are responsible for protecting against foreign and domestic threats, who makes the call, when its time for the militia to rise up and take action against a domestic threat?

Seems like with all this talk of Govt creating new laws on guns, (or if they should do this), we would be hearing the militias opinion on this? I dont even know who speaks for the militia in my state?!!

Doesn't the National Guard kind of serve as a "state militia"?

Like the National Guard, state militias sometimes served in the regular army in a time of need.

I am very pro 2nd Amendment, but some of these "militias" seem a little whacko to me, as they are convinced the feds are coming after them. I don't feel threatened by the feds, as I live pretty peacefully and don't commit crimes. However, if you have a group that is independently conducting military exercises, one has to wonder what they are training for?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Militias in United States Code.

Quote:
10 U.S. Code § 246.Militia: composition and classes

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b)The classes of the militia are—

(1)the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2)the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Doesn't the National Guard kind of serve as a "state militia"?

Like the National Guard, state militias sometimes served in the regular army in a time of need.

I am very pro 2nd Amendment, but some of these "militias" seem a little whacko to me, as they are convinced the feds are coming after them. I don't feel threatened by the feds, as I live pretty peacefully and don't commit crimes. However, if you have a group that is independently conducting military exercises, one has to wonder what they are training for?
They are 'wackos' for trying to protect citizens rights and guarding against the govt going tyrannical??

If they determine the US govt is a threat to citizens rights...then Im sorry, but every citizen should stand behind and support the militias!!

Seems kind of suspicious to demonize the group that is tasked with protecting our rights!!! but from what Ive seen lately, 'patriotism' is now viewed as domestic terrorism!

Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:

The constitution assumes the state government represents the people. The state will organize and fund the militia, and call it out when necessary.

One might have noticed that the state militias were rolled into the National Guard system (Federally funded) some time in the early twentieth century. This has not prevented some states from keeping State Guards or Home Guards, which also satisfy the constitutional definition of a militia. Texas has one (famously called out by the governor of Texas to monitor operation Jade Helm because of an internet hoax), as does California, New York, Virginia and some others I believe. The cost is borne by the state and it can not be compelled into the US Military, although the Federal government is allowed to furnish material to them.

Other groups that claim to be militia's are just basically self appointed clubs not regulated by the states nor answerable to the governor.

So that's that.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
When I enlisted in the reserves, I was automatically in the state milita.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM

937 posts, read 926,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The government will squash any home grown militias before they even get started. Our founding fathers would be shocked at what has become of our nation and the constitution.
... Actually, each state has control over its own national guard branch so the days of homegrown militia are pretty much gone...

If you want to protect your state enlist in the national guard.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM

937 posts, read 926,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Militias in United States Code.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246
That sounds like that's referring to the general population of United states that aren't enlisted (unorganized being the operative word)

Not organized unsanctioned organizations.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:

Are you talking about the National Guard of each state or are you talking about the Constitutional right to assemble and be armed as a citizen of the United States, the National Guard follows the Governor and the armed citizens follow their right to have a conscience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies