Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
IMO, stockpiling guns (especially automatic or even semiauto assault weapons) is a symptom of paranoia that "the government's out to get us", .
Probably more like " that democrat wants to ban them because someone did something with one of them, so I better buy them while I can before said democrat bans them"

Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs. Would you like it if we started to dictate how much of the 1st amendment you need? What about the 4th?
And since it's an amendment, it's subject to change if the people desire it. If us gun owners don't face the obvious, and recognize that something has to be done (license, registration and insurance) that's what's going to eventually happen.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Because they are nuts. We don't need an article on it. They lack reason.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
People ask why does one carry a gun to grocery store. Do you expect you will need it there?

Let me explain. As civilians, we are expected to run away from danger, not toward it. There is a saying with the CHL: "Now that you can carry a gun, don't go anywhere where you couldn't carry a gun.".

So we carry a gun as much as we can so if it happens we do need a gun, then that day was like any other day. We had no expectation that we would need a gun but events just happened where we did need a gun.

If we have to shoot someone, we are to expect at least 3 things. That we will need a psychologist, that we will appear in front of the grand jury, and that we will be sued. To the last, we don't want the opposing counsel to be able to show premeditation. That is, something like this, "So, Ms. Ounce, on the day you shot the son of my client, you feared him, so you strapped on your gun, something you don't do every day, with the intent to shoot him when he came after you.". Now maybe it didn't quite go down like that.....but it may be the interpretation the jury accepts.

So we carry a gun as often as we can so one day is like any other, we had no expectation that we would need the gun on that particular day.

FINALLY, there is that other side of the coin in that our world is one where if we have to defend ourselves, others will put us through hell in the aftermath. It doesn't seem right but there you are. There is another saying in the CHL world....."If you can avoid shooting the other guy, you probably will be better off."

The thing that is most likely to happen is that you will get into an argument with someone and someone will end up killed.....because one of you felt your life was in danger. If you did not have the gun..maybe you would have just walked away. If you live somewhere where robbery rates are high in the places you go (not in another part of of town). Then if you have been personally responsible with your life you should be able to afford to move to some place safer.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:50 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Because they are nuts. We don't need an article on it. They lack reason.

They are no more nuts then someone protesting something. Both are individuals exercising their Rights as a US citizen. One the First, the other the Second.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
What defines "stockpiling"

Let's say you own:

1 modern semi-auto pistol
1 modern revolver
1 .308 deer hunting rifle with scope
1 12ga shotgun for hunting
1 12ga shotgun for trap shooting
1 .22LR rifle for plinking cans with
1 highly collectable Winchester 94 lever action pre-1964
1 historic M1 Garand given to you by your grandfather who served in WW2
Perhaps 1 or 2 more antique/historic/collectable/expensive firearms you rarely shoot.

So at one point is it a stock pile, vs a well-rounded collection of typical firearms you'd find in many gun safes around the country?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:55 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Let's say you own:

1 modern revolver
Perhaps 1 or 2 more antique/historic/collectable/expensive firearms you rarely shoot.

So at one point is it a stock pile, vs a well-rounded collection of typical firearms you'd find in many gun safes around the country?
I’d say like 500 would qualify as stockpiling.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I hate to be pedantic, but hardly anyone owns an automatic firearm.

If you mean 'semiautomatic' instead, and it's something that fires on each trigger pull, you've just described every firearm made short of blackpowder, and single shot rifles/shotguns.

I know that it's like the magazine vs. clip controversy (a word means what I think it means), but I wish people would be more exact.
Don't waste your time trying to educate a bunch of bigoted hoplophobes.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:57 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Let's say you own:

1 modern revolver

Apparently one is a stock pile to these kooks. Anyone that hunts knows you can't hunt everything with one gun. Not even legally.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:57 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The thing that is most likely to happen is that you will get into an argument with someone and someone will end up killed.....because one of you felt your life was in danger. If you did not have the gun..maybe you would have just walked away. If you live somewhere where robbery rates are high in the places you go (not in another part of of town). Then if you have been personally responsible with your life you should be able to afford to move to some place safer.

Not sure how many CPL holders you know. One of the main things one learns when carrying is to first, try to not put oneself into a situation like that, second , do everything one can to defuse the situation. Drawing the firearm is for life threatening situations only. Not arguments.

Several years ago, I was riding my mountain bike , was armed and had just gotten cut off by a vehicle, this was the third close call that day. I lost it, chased the guy through the neighborhood and caught him at a stop sign. As I'm yelling at him from my bike I start to notice all the Marines decals and stuff on the back of his truck, then he gets out. I am an out of shape late 40's individual, and he is a 60's high and tight, in shape military dude. I know, I am the one that started the situation, and being armed means nothing here, I was ready to get my ass kicked by this old guy. After a few minutes of heated discussion , we shook hands, and he apologized. That is how it is done in the real world. Not your made up impression of a firearms owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies