Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Dont think background check is a cure-all for the problem, but it is one piece of it.

It's not a cure, but it's something. Like I said before, most people have the same goal, but have polar opposite approaches. However, there are some things where the majority of Americans agree such as universal background checks, which is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
What is a handgun for other than to kill people? You don't hunt with them.
Some people just need to be killed.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think people are starting to catch on, as far as I know, polling for universal background checks is at an all time high. These things take time. People won't be able to ignore them forever. And I expect more to happen since the media is making their manifestos famous.
The House passed the background check law back in Feb. We're in August. MCconnel has sat on the bill with no vote. The weekend massacre got him to commit to a vote on Sunday. That it took another blood bath makes him an accomplice. That he didn't act sooner is political malpractice. He himself is worried about NRA and political implications. Weak spineless Mitch.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Wrong.........

Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The House passed the background check law back in Feb. We're in August. MCconnel has sat on the bill with no vote. The weekend massacre got him to commit to a vote on Sunday. That it took another blood bath makes him an accomplice. That he didn't act sooner is political malpractice. He himself is worried about NRA and political implications. Weak spineless Mitch.

I had no idea that he is allowing the Senate to vote on the bill. I thought he killed it after the house passed it. Well, that's good, I imagine it will pass because most Americans support it. I don't want to get into blaming him as that just creates a bigger divide and then people will start talking about inner city crimes and those politicians who don't allow the police to do their job have blood on their hands for allowing the gangs to control the inner cities, etc. But I understand your frustration.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Please don’t generalize or sensationalize, Assault is a behavior, not a device.

Concealed weapon permit holders are an asset to the public in times of trouble.
The fact that most permit holders have the good judgment to stay out of situations better handled by a 911 call or by simply being a careful and vigilant witness does not mean that we would fail to act in situations where the use of deadly force is appropriate to save lives. Review of high profile public shooting incidents shows that when killers are confronted by armed resistance they tend to either break off the attack and flee or choose to end their own life. Lives are saved when resistance engages a violent criminal. Lives are lost when the criminal can do as he pleases.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
I believe any law abiding citizen should be allowed to own handguns and use them in self defense at home or out and about with a conceal carry permit. We had our property broken into and the guy had a machete, luckily we had a handgun and didn't have to shoot it because he ran once he saw we had the gun. Who knows what would have happened otherwise.

However, I think we should be able to make common sense changes such as universal background checks, ending private sales without going through a dealer, etc.
You didn't think you had a responsibility to make sure this guy didn't take his machete to threaten others?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM

732 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Dont think background check is a cure-all for the problem, but it is one piece of it.

Given the black market for handguns in urban areas and that nearly all of the mass shooters could legally buy guns, I doubt it would make a lick of difference. (well, maybe 1/1000 of a lick).

Perhaps 50 years after you started UK-style gun restrictions (I wouldn't be surprised if that all started as an upper class effort to disarm Communists in the 1920's) you could veer a culture in some new way. They're probably starting on it at Facebook and Google as we speak.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You didn't think you had a responsibility to make sure this guy didn't take his machete to threaten others?

I'm not about to shoot someone running away from me. You probably have a 50/50 chance of getting a murder sentence even if the person broke into your home. I also don't think shooting a runner is moral unless that person already hurt or killed someone. It also just isn't worth the legal risk. If he charged at me, if he made a verbal threat etc, then it's a different story.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:37 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
I'm not about to shoot someone running away from me. You probably have a 50/50 chance of getting a murder sentence even if the person broke into your home. Now if he charged at me that's a different story, but nonetheless it's a scary situation.
Yeah, the law is pretty sick -breaking into another person's house, with a weapon, should really be open season.

Would you have terminated them if the law had been on your side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies