Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 02:43 PM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no legislation calling for a complete ban on all guns. So the single woman would be able to buy a gun with a universal background check as long as she passes it. Once again, nobody is claiming this is a cure, but even if it stops 1% that is still good in my books when dealing with life and death. These kinds of things will give more time and opportunity for law enforcement to detect such things, setup black market stings, etc.
Between federal, state and local levels, there are >20,000 gun control laws already on the books in the United States. Apparently none of those 20,000 were sufficient to prevent crime, so you have ideas for ones that will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:43 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I like how the Swiss handle it; the local cops have to approve someone buying one.

A background check doesn’t really determine if someone is responsible enough to own one, just if they’ve stayed out of trouble or not. I think there needs to be some mechanism to take into account an individuals psychological state, a character check.
But cops are corrupt, so why would I allow them to decide if I can own a gun to protect myself from some goon they refuse to get off the streets? Not to mention, our constitution was set up so we don't live in a police state.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
For home protection I’d rather have a shotgun than a handgun.
Too long to load, and the kick back might be too much for some people to handle, especially women, weak and the disabled.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Some professions do need them. For security reasons, as a theft deterrent. Like a store manager in Baltimore needing to make bank deposits. A pawn shop owner with sketchy clients. And my favorite reason... those Korean shop owners during the LA riots. They are my heroes!!!
Not to mention truck drivers who are just trying to protect their load.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But cops are corrupt, so why would I allow them to decide if I can own a gun to protect myself from some goon they refuse to get off the streets? Not to mention, our constitution was set up so we don't live in a police state.
I don’t buy into the cops are corrupt argument. Every group has its bad apples, doesn’t mean they’re all bad.

Regardless, the biggest issue with our gun laws is we don’t have a mechanism for weeding out those who shouldn’t have access to firearms due to psychological issues, which is the leading reason behind mass shootings.

Responsible gun owners don’t have a problem with universal background checks.

Responsible gun owners don’t have a problem with having to use a broker to sell one.

Responsible gun owners don’t have a problem with someone making sure they have the mental capacity to be responsible with a firearm.

None of the above makes it more difficult for me to have a firearm, or anyone responsible enough to own one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Too long to load, and the kick back might be too much for some people to handle, especially women, weak and the disabled.
You leave it loaded.

There’s a reason cops empty clips into people. You either kill or seriously disable with the first couple shots of a handgun or the persons on you. I’d rather my woman has a shotgun at home to use.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:48 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, you don't think a husband should be able to buy his wife a gun for self defense without doing a background check on her?

Or a that a father should be able to get his kid a .22 for Christmas?

How about selling a hunting buddy a shotgun?

Need to get a background check on him and go through a dealer?

What about when grandpa leaves you his prized WWII gun collection in his will?

Should you be subject to a background check and have to go through a dealer for that?

These are the types of things that the private transfer exception is for......it's just that private transfers are private transfers whether they happen under the Christmas tree or in a parking lot outside of a gun show.

And I've yet to see anyone name a mass shooting where the shooter bought his weapon in a private transfer at a gun show.

Criminals in general don't go to gun shows.

The steal them or buy on the black market.
Exactly!!!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
It’s because we are afraid of the dark terrorist and not the light ones.

If we were hit by planes every few weeks we would become numb to it.

Also, plane travel is big business. Way too much money involved to let folks get so afraid they stop flying.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
What is a handgun for other than to kill people? You don't hunt with them.

Governor Perry used one to shoot a coyote.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-pe...te-during-jog/

Old 08-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no legislation calling for a complete ban on all guns. So the single woman would be able to buy a gun with a universal background check as long as she passes it. Once again, nobody is claiming this is a cure, but even if it stops 1% that is still good in my books when dealing with life and death. These kinds of things will give more time and opportunity for law enforcement to detect such things, setup black market stings, etc.

Rape is illegal, but there still is rape. However, if we legalized rape, HAH, imagine how many more there would be.

Just like a fence around a concert won't prevent everyone from getting in for free, but imagine if there were no barriers or security, how many would enter for free.

Just like a border wall, it won't stop everyone, sure people could still dig an underground tunnel, but it's not like that is an easy thing anyone can do in minutes. It takes time, planning and allows law enforcement more time and opportunity to prevent illegal entries.
But England banned guns (or made it very difficult to own one) and now they have knife attacks on the rise, and they now want to start restricting knife sales, which will again just punish law abiding citizens. Again, I will never be OK with my rights being trumped for some BS false sense of security. And, all these background checks and registrations is just a way for our corrupt government to keep control over the people. I hate the government and the police, and don't want them to have any more power over me than they already do. Especially when it's well known that cops and politicians have been working for the organized crime bosses for some time, so why would I give up my liberties so they can terrorize me even more?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Why not just stop selling automatic weapons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies