Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I disagree totally.

What Trump and you espousers of his policies don't seem to get is that China is a dynamic nation of 1.4 billion people. You want to shut out China from our markets completely. Well that's exactly what they are doing to us right now and various producers and exporters are taking big hits. For what? What is Trump's and your end game? Tell me what constitutes a win for us.

An equitable playing field. We already are mostly shut out yet we give them open access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think you are mistaken, the Chinese will skip a meal every day just like the North Koreans do if they are ordered to do so. The Chinese government dictates pretty much everything including what companies will produce and how much of it. They can redirect a labor force any time they choose. It would take at least a few years to transition from a Chinese manufacturer to one in Vietnam or Malaysia. It's a funky system to live in, but it works out just great in situations like trade wars.

Yes, a few years. That precisely supports what I said. China's pain will increase in a few years while ours will decrease. Right now represents the best position they will ever enjoy in this trade war.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
An equitable playing field. We already are mostly shut out yet we give them open access.
Equitable playing field is just so much word salad.

I'll rephrase the question you were responding to.

'What would an equitable playing field look like to resume open trade?"

At least thanks for providing an answer of sorts. No one else in your corner would even touch the question.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmmmmmmmm.

So China is now paying for the tariffs.

What's wrong with that?
China is not paying. The American consumer and American businesses are.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hahahahaha 3000 years? Try 70.

The People's Republic of China wasn't formed until 1949 when the Communist Mao ran the Nationalists out of the mainland to Taiwan.

You guys just make stuff.
Do your really think the cultural memory stopped with Mao coming in?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Another bare faced falsehood.
Nobody's starving in china over the tariffs. China is now purchasing their soybeans from Brazil. Beef from Canada, Natural gas from Russia and on and on.
Trump destroyed those markets for the US agriculture industry forever.

Farmers know this.

MAGA hatters don't. They are blind and cannot see.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But all are items that could easily be made in Vietnam or Malaysia or elsewhere.

China is the one who cannot play long term. They have to get us to fold within a year or two or they are toast. Their whole leverage rides on the massive inertia established in the trade imbalance. As companies shift production from China to other places (if not the US), our need for them as a trading partner diminishes. Our imports from China decreased 12% last quarter and China is no longer our top trade partner, now second behind Mexico. By end of the year they will be third. Rare earth element production has restarted in the US. Devaluing their currency also means their revenues drop steeply.

China may be able to hold out for 2020 in hopes Trump will not get re-elected but if he does they are screwed.

Actually Canada is the second largest trading partner.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/to...war-2019-08-04

Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
The current Democrat party does not remotely resemble the one during and directly after WW2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And what about the republican party? Run by religious zealots.
Exactly. The GOP of Eisenhower is long gone. The GOP of Reagan is long gone. The GOP of the Bushes is long gone.

Simply, the GOP is long gone from being the patriotic organization it used to be.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I disagree totally.

What Trump and you espousers of his policies don't seem to get is that China is a dynamic nation of 1.4 billion people. You want to shut out China from our markets completely. Well that's exactly what they are doing to us right now and various producers and exporters are taking big hits. For what? What is Trump's and your end game? Tell me what constitutes a win for us.

I'll tell you one thing though, china has a very dynamic and modern manufacturing capability across all spectrums. You give a Chinese manufacturer a drawing on a napkin in a bar and he'll have his engineers 3D CAD it out by Wednesday and have a fully working prototype on your desk be Friday and then he'll promise you 100,000 units a month in 30 days.

Have no doubt. China will be an equal if not the dominant manufacturing force in 10 years and those 1.4 billion people that all have jobs will want things to buy and they will have the money to spend.

Trump's policies will effectively shut us out from that 1.4 billion customer market. For What? What is Trump's end game? What does he want from China that will make open trade a normal process like it always has been?

I'll bet nobody can even tell me what a win against China would be.
The bolded is not hyperbole. A friend of mine describe a part he was considering at supper with his Chinese hosts, and a prototype was in his hands at lunch the next day. He still doesn't know how they did that.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The bolded is not hyperbole. A friend of mine describe a part he was considering at supper with his Chinese hosts, and a prototype was in his hands at lunch the next day. He still doesn't know how they did that.
Yep.

My career is in staging and production. I know this is the truth. Trump and his minions have no Idea how far behind the ball they are. They see China as a major threat. China see's Trump as a flea on an elephant's back.

And still, the question, 'to what end are we doing this?' What does a win look like in the Trump Administration's mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies