Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 05:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you dont want a stronger public safety net and want lower taxes for the rich and corporations, you're in the minority according to all polls I've seen. Its not a moderate position. Its a position held by about 20-25% of the people.
Most people want to pay less taxes and get more free stuff.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We could be about to find out. China just announced it is stopping all US farm product imports. They let their currency fall in value earlier. Trump escalated by labeling them a currency manipulator late today, something not done since Clinton. The label is pretty toothless, but it will further anger China. The trade war is now a serious threat to the world economy and if it gets worse, a major world recession is just around the corner and right in time for the election next year.
This is true. I'm predicting Dow 10,000 and 15% unemployment within two years at the rate things are going right now. And this is 100% on Trump. As of 2016, it was pretty much blue skies ahead for the economy.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
bawac, take your medications as prescribed, exercise regularly, and eat healthfully.....or don't. You are a young man and have so much ahead for you if you want to engage life. I hope you make good choices. Up to you.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Without cheating, foreign money, underhanded manipulation, voter suppression and some plain ole luck, Trump cannot win a majority of popular votes...not even close.

But this all assumes our election system is fair. It's not. Therefore, anything goes......

Most people are too clueless to even know what the economy is doing. Trump will lower interest rates to zero and take on more debt and deficit so that people feel some hope.

Normal people don't look at the manufacturing index and see it's at a 10 year low. They don't look at car, boat or real estate sales and care that they are down....

All they care about is whether they personally see some free money...or forgiveness of debt, etc.

The data people for the Trump campaign can easily figure out which populations to target and give them free money by executive order and policy....right before the election.

An incumbent, especially one with no morals or limits, can do a lot of things to gain a percentile or two.....

In any sane universe Trump would lose by double digits because nothing he does is even good for HIS base. But people have been conditioned to work against themselves.....and their own interests and that of their posterity.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Bawac you don't own an Ar-15 and play violent video games do you ?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We could be about to find out. China just announced it is stopping all US farm product imports. They let their currency fall in value earlier. Trump escalated by labeling them a currency manipulator late today, something not done since Clinton. The label is pretty toothless, but it will further anger China. The trade war is now a serious threat to the world economy and if it gets worse, a major world recession is just around the corner and right in time for the election next year.
Here's another thing.

GOP know their days as a majority party at least on federal level are numbered. Demographics and other forces have been chipping away at their numbers for decades.

DT's win was sort of a hail Mary in that it gave conservative, religious right, Moral Majority, anti-immigration and quite frankly racist republicans an unforseen win and perhaps their final chances to shape this country.

We've seen much of this already with Mitch McConnell's wet dream come true of packing federal courts with judges of certain ideological bent. Meanwhile DT and his administration has walked away from, annulled, revised, treaties,policies, rules and regulations that long have been an anathema to republicans.

Even if DT loses in 2020 much of the damage done won't be easily reversed. Less so if GOP continues to hold majorities in senate.

Old school GOP know this, which again is why they've clamped down dissent and squashed any GOP primary challenger to DT. Last thing Mitch McConnell et al want (or need) is a sensible and moderate republican POTUS who knows what he's doing, nor can be easily controlled.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'll say it again; if DT is such a bad POTUS and or certainly going to lose in 2020 why did GOP leadership squash any potential primary challengers?
Has there ever been a case where an incumbent running for office has been seriously challenged by someone from his own party? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true. I'm predicting Dow 10,000 and 15% unemployment within two years at the rate things are going right now. And this is 100% on Trump. As of 2016, it was pretty much blue skies ahead for the economy.
So far, I'm keeping my retirement savings in stocks as usual. Because every time it looked like things might get bad, stock market did lose some, but always came roaring back to set new records as the DOW did on July 11.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Has there ever been a case where an incumbent running for office has been seriously challenged by someone from his own party? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
Yeah, if the incumbent was exposed as an alcoholic or drug addict.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:42 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Sure in recent memory:

1992: Pat Buchanan vs. George H.W. Bush

1980: Ted Kennedy vs. Jimmy Carter

1976: Ronald Reagan vs. Gerald Ford

And so it goes: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-pr...ry-challenges/

This pretty much explains things: https://www.theamericanconservative....nt-presidents/

Generally voters don't get fed up with party in power (or at least in WH), in just four years, so incumbents normally win re-election. When you do see primary challenges it normally is because there is a split in the party and person or persons believe a change is needed at the top to keep said party in power.

Jimmy Carter may have been a fine upstanding and decent man, but as POTUS things didn't go well. Certain democrats thought a change in leadership was needed to keep the WH. Sadly for democrats president Jimmy Carter won the primary, but went on to lose general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies