Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 02:24 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times

Advertisements

She should’ve been fired. What a dummy. She should know you can’t say things like that to a customer without repercussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:41 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes indeed. I've only been confronted ONE TIME EVER here in Louisiana over my MAGA hat which I wear regularly and it was by either a black or Hispanic person who wasn't even originally from here (he was from New England) and didn't know he had moved into a parish where 84% of the people voted for Trump. I told him point blank "welcome to the South, welcome to Louisiana, welcome to Livingston Parish". I probably could have told him to go back north or called him a carpetbagger but I didn't. But I heavily resent being in my native area and being told by an outsider that my views are unacceptable to him.

As for business employees, I'm usually a VERY easy customer but if someone says anything about my political clothing I will NOT REST until God willing, that person is fired. My friend had to do this to someone, also a black transplant to the South. He is a white man in his 40s and went to an IHOP in Hammond, Louisiana with his MAGA hat. The black waitress cussed him out and called him a racist. He went all the way to the top and got her fired. He later found out she was also not originally from the South. If you are from the South you would know that nearly every non-black person here supports Trump and is conservative and Christian and if you are not then maybe you shouldn't live here.

This being the Deep South, unless I"m in a black part of town, I do sometimes wear my Confederate flag shirt, and I DARE anyone to refuse service to me.

Your friend, btw, did a public service. Snowflake employees should be fired.

MAGA!

Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
As must as I detest Trump that is just bad business mixing politics and work. Could the manager given the worker warning. yeah but then their is the PR aspect. Businesses will typically project impartiality and therefor take decisive action to protect that image.
This. My 2nd job is appliance sales.

I ignore lots of stupid red hats, Che Gueverra Shirts etc.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The customer is always right.
LOL only in their mind.

LOTS of customers are wrong and many are downright foolish, stupid, and/or ridiculous. The key is ignoring as much of it as you can. Managers get training on dealing with the downright crazy demands.

MY recent favorites
1) Guy wanting to return a shower curtain. Literally an unwrapped shower curtain with no receipt, packaging or anything to identify the item.
2) Other guy who found vacuum bags in his dead father's house. AT LEAST 15 years old. SKU long dropped from the system.
3) Female who returned *3* refrigerators because she did not like them. When she began to look for a 4th, managers told her no more returns, she left. hopefully she is some other stores problem now.
4) LOTS of customers who like to buy air conditioners only for a heat wave then return 2 weeks later. Restock fees on AC have cut this dramatically but some do not mind paying the fee for the 2 weeks of comfort.
I could write 100 if I thought about it and increased my look back period.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Yes indeed. I've only been confronted ONE TIME EVER here in Louisiana over my MAGA hat which I wear regularly and it was by either a black or Hispanic person who wasn't even originally from here (he was from New England) and didn't know he had moved into a parish where 84% of the people voted for Trump. I told him point blank "welcome to the South, welcome to Louisiana, welcome to Livingston Parish". I probably could have told him to go back north or called him a carpetbagger but I didn't. But I heavily resent being in my native area and being told by an outsider that my views are unacceptable to him.

As for business employees, I'm usually a VERY easy customer but if someone says anything about my political clothing I will NOT REST until God willing, that person is fired. My friend had to do this to someone, also a black transplant to the South. He is a white man in his 40s and went to an IHOP in Hammond, Louisiana with his MAGA hat. The black waitress cussed him out and called him a racist. He went all the way to the top and got her fired. He later found out she was also not originally from the South. If you are from the South you would know that nearly every non-black person here supports Trump and is conservative and Christian and if you are not then maybe you shouldn't live here.

Why?

What behaviors did Trump exhibit before he ran for President that are conservative or Christ-like ?

Quote:
This being the Deep South, unless I"m in a black part of town, I do sometimes wear my Confederate flag shirt, and I DARE anyone to refuse service to me.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Especially interesting that its in the NATIONAL CATHEDRAL. Yes Washington DC is a very liberal city but this is a CHURCH. Most people you would see in a church are conservative, DUH. So what did she expect working there?
In parts of Louisiana, but that doesn't mean it's true in lots of other places.

Just because your church has something against LGBTQ people, that doesn't mean other churches do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...affirming_LGBT

^^^^^ List of Christian denominations affirming LGBT

Quote:
Just like I live in a very conservative area in the South and I wear my MAGA hat and my Confederate flag shirt out in public sometimes and I DARE anyone in a business to say anything except that they like my shirt and hat!!! Yesterday a newcomer from New England had an issue with MAGA and I told him this is who we are down here.
No, it represents who you are.

Just because 84% of your Parish voted for Trump, that doesn't mean that all or even a majority of that 84% think it's okay to wear a Confederate flag shirt.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Another wrote, “So sad that one of my favorite places in D.C. cares more about profits than the wellbeing and safety of their employees! Minimum wage workers shouldn’t be forced to be nice to people whose beliefs fundamentally threaten their existence!”

^^^
This kind of insanity is a root cause of the social dysfunction that is damaging our country. Wearing a political button does not threaten the wellbeing and safety of anyone nor does it fundamentally threaten anyone's existence and it's irresponsible to suggest it does. That sort of language invites escalation and is not healthy. You already see how it inspires people to be nasty to each other in their day to day interactions. People ask why we can't have adult conversations or agree to disagree anymore and this sort of hyperbolic rhetoric is a big reason why.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good, you don't treat a customer that way

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coff...rsvoWbTkGbU0Y8

I would do the same if I owned or managed that restaurant...you don't need employees that run customers away.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good, you don't treat a customer that way

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coff...rsvoWbTkGbU0Y8

She was educated about tolerance. If you are intolerant, you might lose your job. There, lesson learned.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Agreed, someone should be able to wear a Trump pin without harassment. When you are at work you represent the business, not your own interests.

I don't know about the warning....hard to say. When I was a teenager we undersgood that a customer should not be criticized for displaying a political pin. I would not have even thought of doing such a thing. It's sad that managers have to even clarify that, but maybe that's today's world (showing my age I guess).
When you were a teenager, I imagine you hadn't been raised to believe that every thought and opinion you had was sheer brilliance, and anyone that disagreed with you was a bully.

That's where we are, folks. A world where there is zero respect taught, along with no job etiquette and skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies