Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:57 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Outstanding post/points. Forums like this allow you to ventilate. It also helps to see others might actually share our point of view. And you might even learn a thing or two - or gain insight that you wouldn't otherwise have had. As far as the FB comment, I have the same issue- I don't put anything on FB political.
I think it helps to read the opposing point of view, are Trump supporters really chumps or do they have a point? I keep hoping I will find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM

109 posts, read 65,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

So why come to a message board with 'politics' as the main topic if you don't want to see folks talk politics - -for whatever reason they choose? LOL.
I can't think of a more relevant forum to pose a question like this. Hopefully you don't feel in any way threatened by someone simply asking a thought provoking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The problem here, is that’s all they do is vent. They don’t want to learn and they don’t care about solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
The few people I disagree with who have tried to get political have said enough for me to know any disagreement will not be taken in a rational manner. He wasn't going to hear anything I had to say.
I think these two comments sum it up quite nicely.

And for those that claim they do it to get a differing viewpoint and learn something, how many of them start off threads trying to be argumentative versus asking for differing opinions. I think it's apparent that the country is so partisan at this point, that any type of civil discourse is actually discouraged. It's all about character assassination and personal attacks. I simply don't know how the country gets turned around when the extremes on both sides appear to have taken over.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Because the internet has given them an audience.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
There should be a class action lawsuit by the Loony Left on behalf of their members who have committed suicide, committed crimes or gone insane due to watching nonstop hate and fake news by mainstream media.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
LMAO Because people enjoy arguing.

Just consider what goes on here---posters carp about bad/depressing news, and yet it's the controversial subjects they gravitate towards.

Regardless of what people say, they enjoy a good fight.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
To debate. To be 'right'. Nothing more.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:58 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LMAO Because people enjoy arguing.

Just consider what goes on here---posters carp about bad/depressing news, and yet it's the controversial subjects they gravitate towards.

Regardless of what people say, they enjoy a good fight.
Yep

Old 08-06-2019, 03:25 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
As someone that has sat and read this forum for over 10 years I fell pretty qualified to answer this.

Most people believe that they have the answers and that their answers are the right ones. While that's not necessarily so for all, it is so for them. They often are loud mouth bullies that insist on demonizing and belittling those that do not think the way they do. Forums are a "safe" way for those that have a need to lash out to do so without the repercussions they would face in their off line lives. Look at the number of people that unfriend or disown family and friends because they have opposing political views. Many keep silent in fear that that may happen to them. On a forum people don't have that filter. They like the fight but often are not capable of holding the same type of banter when confronted in real life.

Many people come and go but, the game is played the same way no matter who is playing. The players just take on different roles when they feel the time is appropriate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Discussions are more open here and although they digress to shouting and partisanship there is something to be learned. Many of us have family and friends that have no interest, here you can always find a topic. Better to release here than with family or friends.

By the way plenty of people waste as much time arguing over sports. There are plenty of cable stations devoted to that topic.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
To be honest, one thing I know about the politics forum...

Threads that are rational and look for a respectful conversation get little to no responses.

Threads that are irrational or on one extreme, get tons of responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies