Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we have a mental health or gun problem in this country?
Mental Health 57 72.15%
Gun 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times

Advertisements

I am in my late 40s and can say we did not have all these mass shootings 30+ years ago. they were extremely rare and guns were easier to get back then as well. What changed?

The way I see it, most of these mass killers have some sort of mental or coping issue and tend to lean toward the young side. I don't think they can cope with reality because they
have never been taught how.

All this talk of banning guns is not going to solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
It's a gun issue. Mental health contributes to the number of suicides, notsomuch mass shootings. There are tons of articles about this online.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
It's a gun issue. Mental health contributes to the number of suicides, notsomuch mass shootings. There are tons of articles about this online.
Was it a truck issue in Nice?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
We have both a mental health problem and a gun problem.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:29 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Was it a truck issue in Nice?
The difference being European cities and police have improved security in cities and at events, and Anti-Terrorism meaures have been put in place.

In terms of the US, there is always a lot of big talk but very little action in terms of gun massacres, indeed evewn Trump's red flag scheme is unlikely to become law.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
We have both, but neither is really the leading cause of these shootings.

The shooters are by and large not mentally ill.
Access to guns makes it way easier for these guys to wreak havoc, but not the cause of the sentiment.

This is a cultural problem for which there are no feasible laws to repair.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I am in my late 40s and can say we did not have all these mass shootings 30+ years ago. they were extremely rare and guns were easier to get back then as well. What changed?

The way I see it, most of these mass killers have some sort of mental or coping issue and tend to lean toward the young side. I don't think they can cope with reality because they
have never been taught how.

All this talk of banning guns is not going to solve the problem.
The US gun homicide rate peaked in 1993, nearly 30 years ago.

What was far less common was spectacular mass shootings by a single shooter in a single location, usually with an assault type weapon. Each sensational mass shooting inspires the next. The acquisition of assault weapons for personal use surged once the ban expired in 2004. It surged again when Obama was elected. It surges after every sensational mass shooting.

Mental illness is an enormous spectrum.
People are medicated all over the world.
There are mentally ill people all over the world.
People play violent video games all over the world.
People watch violent movies all over the world.
Single parenthood is increasing all over the world.
Christianity is diminishing all over the world.

Yet, the US stands alone in the developed world in terms of sensational mass shootings.
It’s all about access.

Richard Paddock on the 32nd floor could not have shot 480 people with substantially less powerful firearms in a 10 minute span. Some of those shot were shot through other people.

In 1986, fully automatic weapons for the civilian market were banned in the US. While it is estimated there are about 638,000 fully automatic weapons in circulation, these weapons are not being used in the sensational mass shootings.

It’s all about access.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
"We"? I dont have a problem with either.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

The amount of laws governing gun sales and ownership has increased in the same time span these mass shootings have increased.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We have both, but neither is really the leading cause of these shootings.

The shooters are by and large not mentally ill.
Access to guns makes it way easier for these guys to wreak havoc, but not the cause of the sentiment.

This is a cultural problem for which there are no feasible laws to repair.
Yes they are mentally ill, both of these recent shooters are at the exact age that schizophrenia takes hold. I have a friend who this happened to and he heard voices in his head telling him to do things that normal people would not do.

However, I do think we have a problem with guns in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies