Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 03:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Best answer I've read.

The mechanism of operation is used in the majority of common weapons sold over the last 100 years. That is why bans and such really haven't had any teeth. They focus on cosmetics and features, and not method of operation.

You really want to ban "assault weapons"? Then you really need to make the ban far reaching and focus on operation and function, and that will include many of the so called "hunting rifles" sold today. That will be a really hard sell
don't expect the political grandstanding politicians to use facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 03:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no, I do not.

So, if we have to figure out how to spend more on finding illegal arms (though, it seems all of the recent mass murders involved legal firearms), then do that we must. In fact, I would expect folks like you to fully support those expenditures.

Everything is a compromise. So long as people are all "2A says I can own anything I want" (when that's not the case, read Heller), and others are "look how abolishing gun ownership is so great in these other countries, and wow, it'll stop madmen", then there's no compromise.

10A was pretty clear that anything NOT spelled out in the Constitution was to remain the purview of the individual states. That's been completely trampled.

Do you want the 2A trampled, or do law-abiding gun owners see compromise as the way forward?
Law abiding gun owners have been compromising for decades. That’s how we got to this point. The only further “compromise” possible is for the anti gun crowd to push for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Law abiding gun owners have been compromising for decades. That’s how we got to this point. The only further “compromise” possible is for the anti gun crowd to push for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment.
what are the top 5 compromises that erode the 2nd Amendment?

by the way, for anyone wondering, I am a Republican, and support gun ownership in general, though I do not own 1 myself.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times
Quote:

by the way, for anyone wondering, I am a Republican, and support gun ownership in general, though I do not own 1 myself.
It started with the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the latest was the change to the rules on bump stocks. You can pick the ones in between.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:

Background checks
Magazine limits
Bullet buttons
Requiring a CCW to carry
Firearms registration
FOPA
NFA
Gun Control Act of 1968
The Brady Law
NICS

There’s a few, in no particular order. Feel free to convince me that any of them are constitutional.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Go look at my earlier links where having a semi automatic weapon saved homeowners with multiple armed home invaders breaking into their homes.
Not really great cases. The first guy for instance knew the attackers so it was an inside job.

The second guy killed three people including two teenagers who had at most minimum weapons.

And how about the guy in Colorado. Killed the burglar and was then killed by the responding cops.

Or the marine who met the cops breaking in with his AR and got slaughtered.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:11 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There’s no reason anyone needs the guns used in recent mass shootings. These are not self-defense weapons, hunting weapons, target practice weapons. They are weapons of mass destruction.
Absolutely wrong. ARs are the most popular hunting rifle in use. And they are great target guns. And since they are not usually very powerful, and won't go through walls, they are great for home defense too. They function no differently than common hunting rifles sold for over 60 years.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Absolutely wrong. ARs are the most popular hunting rifle in use. And they are great target guns. And since they are not usually very powerful, and won't go through walls, they are great for home defense too. They function no differently than common hunting rifles sold for over 60 years.
Pretty much nonsense. Watch this. Virtually every weapon will penetrate 11 layers of sheet rock. Through your unit and next door.

https://www.wired.com/story/self-dri...usiness-texas/

Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The recent slaughter of innocent people in this country has people all over the internet telling lies, telling truths, blaming this one, or that one, and I have yet to see this question brought up specifically, on any forum.

The one thing I ask is that you LEAVE POLITICS OUT OT THIS DISCUSSION, and give an honest answer to this question.
If you feel a political answer is your only recourse, then please take it somewhere else.

Question, Why should ordinary citizens be allowed to not only possess, but use military assault weapons, capable of firing multiple rounds per second, as a killing machine of many, at one time?

Bob.

Uh, if they were being allowed to do that they wouldn't be either shot or prosecuted, would they?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 PM

29,465 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Bob,
I'd really like to have a serious discussion on this, but really want to come to some common ground. Why are you choosing the AR platform ? Can you explain what sets it apart from, say a Remington 750 Woodsmaster ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies