Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,861,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
There's no such thing as "gun violence". I get so sick of hearing that lie of a term.

A gun is just a weapon. The "violence" comes from the person using the weapon to hurt or kill others. More and more I see in our local paper that this or that person has become a "victim of gun violence". When in reality they are a victim of MURDER. It's the act that killed them, the guilt lying with the perpetrator of that murder, not the object they used.

Human hands are a weapon if a violent person uses his hands to strangle and kill. We don't call that "hand violence".

If a person is killed by blunt force trauma by a hammer, they are not a "victim of hammer violence".

What we have in this country is violent PEOPLE committing violence on others. Why that is is what we need to be asking ourselves.
If we had enough traumas caused by hammers that we were discussing how to deter those traumas we could very well say hammer trauma......

Knife attack -- well the knife didn't attack but that's what we say when there is an attack by a knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM

8,021 posts, read 3,596,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is that for Armed Societies? Where the people are not property of the state?

I said developed countries, that's the point. Reading comprehension is your friend.

P.S. But you can keep making yourself feel better by observing that Afghanistan has somewhat higher rates ...

Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM

48,394 posts, read 34,520,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Agreed.

We have two big issues.

Inner City violence. This has been going on forever and is nothing new. People like to bring up it's due to poverty and lack of jobs but many of our inner cities have been hell holes since the late 60's, when jobs were plenty and one could raise a family on one job and no degree. There is something more to it.

Mass shootings. Most (not all) are of a certain demographic and fit a certain profile. What is it that is causing these young adults to snap and do these things ? It can't all be blamed on mental health, or video games. There is a deeper issue.

Both of these problems are complex, and will require very complex solutions. Far more complex then adding universal background checks, or banning a type of rifle due to how it looks. And neither of these issues will ever be solved with the current state of our country the way it is. The left has pushed me so far to the right that I won't budge and vise versa.

I agree with a lot of this, not all, but a lot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-08-2019, 02:30 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,401,031 times
It is only as violent as you want it to be. Guns don't shoot people.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,847,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

"Lott’s carefully crafted criteria to include an incident as a mass shooting is highly suspect. Lott goes to great lengths to exclude mass shootings that are the result of burglaries and gang violence, but he includes terrorist attacks. This choice means that while the Texas biker gang gunfight last summer is excluded in his statistics, the November Paris attacks, which accounted for more than one-third of Europe’s mass shooting fatalities, are included."

His study can be criticized because his methods and data are out in the open. You can draw a conclusion to accept or dismiss it because of that. The study so often cited by the media, anti-gun activists, politicians etc. does not so it needs to be dismissed because it cannot be evaluated or criticized by others.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:20 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,847,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Other legal weapons don't kill 9 people in 32 seconds.

Dayton Shooting: 9 Dead in 32 Seconds | Time

If I set out to kill more than 9 people in less than 32 seconds with anything but a common weapon it's not a difficult challenge.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

7,985 posts, read 5,345,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guns don't shoot people.
Cigarettes don't cause cancer. I can look at one all day long, for weeks and not get lung cancer or whatever other illnesses they can cause. So why all the regulations and taxes on cigarettes.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,404,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Cigarettes don't cause cancer. I can look at one all day long, for weeks and not get lung cancer or whatever other illnesses they can cause. So why all the regulations and taxes on cigarettes.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:25 AM

6,443 posts, read 4,019,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Most places in the world. The media here is very hysterical, but America is not a dangerous place.

Their is a strict police state, and outside of gangs their is a minuscule chance you will ever get shot at.
This actually isn't true. If you measure it by say people living in a country with a lower murder rate.

China+India+EU is roughly 44% of the world, which has a lower murder rate. Then if you add in countries in Asia, Africa and South America that have a lower murder rate than the U.S you get to at least 50%+ of the world has a lower murder rate than the U.S, hence the U.S isn't "safer" than the majority of the world.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:43 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You can look at fire all day and not get burnt, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies