Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times

Advertisements

This is quite interesting!

It is a site that continually updates the running totals of all the killings and almost killed in Chicago!
(Kinda like the National Debt Clock!)

I know, I know!
The website url is kinda off the wall too!

Chicago Crime 2019 | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
I understand the importance of pointing these kinds of things out...it's a tragic story of Americans killing other Americans after all. It's frustrating to see though because there doesn't seem to be a solution. Stricter gun laws won't do it. The big cities with lots of urban violence have similar strict laws to the cities that don't have this violence after all. Some say education is the solution...but how do you force people who don't want to learn to learn?

Beyond the obvious points about our troubled racial history in this country I think the core of this problem is the generational welfare state but that's not something we can solve overnight. We need to disincentivize single motherhood and the dependency on the state that often come with it. Give incentives for women on public assistance to have abortions, take long term birth control hormones or have sterilization procedures done. Pay them not to have kids on the dole instead of paying them to have kids on the dole. Provide incentives for children who get good grades in school. More benefits for single mothers who have kids in honor programs or have a high GPA. Give these mothers a reason to care about their kid's education by tying the amount of her benefits to their academic performance.

Lastly decriminalize drug possession, particularly for marijuana. No need for a kid from the hood to be held back by a record he got because of simple usage. Some cities already do this, but not all of them do.

No matter what we do though it's going to be a long hard slog and there's going to be a lot of pain along the way.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

It is a site that continually updates the running totals of all the killings and almost killed in Chicago!

I know, I know!

So we shouldn`t mind our random mass murders in public places? Chicago has been like this for well over a hundred years so this is not exactly breaking news. Got anything else?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
You'd think much of the problem would take care of itself.
My observation is Chicago must have some very good Emergency Medical facilities if you are shot.

At least in Chicago if you have money you can ignore the violence and live in areas that are not affected.
Is that possible in places like Baltimore and NOLA ?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 AM

858 posts, read 424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My observation is Chicago must have some very good Emergency Medical facilities if you are shot.

At least in Chicago if you have money you can ignore the violence and live in areas that are not affected.

Of course it's possible. Gangland violence is almost always isolated to a handful of neighborhoods in major cities.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:56 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:

How about in your local Wal-Mart ?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:30 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:

Well, it's funny you mention that because one hospital was turning away victims because they had no more capacity.

I could stop this whole thing in 5 minutes. Curfews and national guard.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
Quote:

I know, I know!

Baltimore also has a murder website as well due to the out of control murder rate there too. The numbers are staggering. Here is the link:

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/

Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:

I know, I know!

It's a shame the figures are extensive enough to include ethnicity of the victims.

Now that would tell a story and a half.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So we shouldn`t mind our random mass murders in public places? Chicago has been like this for well over a hundred years so this is not exactly breaking news. Got anything else?
In other words... these murders, these lives don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies