Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
The reverse of that is why do conservatives use poor grammar? Low educational level? In a hurry?
Thank you for giving me this example for my friend, Bad Debt.

Let’s say he wasn’t just using this as an example, and he made the same statement, only cutting out the beginning and starting the sentence with the word “Why”, and onward.

I have many reasons to think he would be wrong. But he has given me no reason to believe that he does not believe what he wrote. I think that there are people out there that fully believe that. So calling him a liar, would be an immature response. A mature response would be to list some of the reasons why I think he is wrong.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I tend to believe conservatives do not criticize poor spelling out of compassion. As my southern belle mother-in-law would have said, "Bless their heart!"
Interesting take!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If I said he was being disingenuous, I misspoke.
I don’t know that you did. I would have to go back to look. The other poster is the one who implied that.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:08 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
I got a pass from my sixth grade teacher from "accused misspelling" "theater" as theatre.

Also, that year when the students had to spell the other students' names, I got a pass from Roger Baldwin for spelling his name as "Rodger". He said a lot of people get it wrong because it sounds that way to them.

But then for grammar, I was corrected by the teacher for my having written that I liked having a tin roof at the Underhill Drug Store. Correctedly, I enjoyed a tin root sundae at the Underhill (drug store).

I was even able to get the Underhill Drug Store to sponsor my little league baseball team, with red and white T-shirts with the drugstore's name on it - I think it said Underhill Drugs - don't know if it got it wrong or not. We came in last place, though, that year. 5th grade.

I hit a home run for the team once, but, admittedly, it heavily resulted from nonstop errors on the opposing team.

At least in Flint, we had no "Pee Wee" leagues.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-10-2019 at 03:21 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Another liberal "triggered" by the spelling error obsession.
How do your beloved vets feel about you making light of PTSD? I can assure you, smart people don't do that. They also don't parrot the latest buzz-words because other stupid people are saying it.

Quote:
Any time you want to match degrees, education, or IQs, let me know.
You think that makes you intelligent. That's precious, but not very smart. One need only look at our government to see that is not true lol.

Quote:
I am afraid that proficiency in spelling does not make one intelligent. It simply shows that one uses spell checker.
Mmmwell, it also shows they can retain information, like people with degrees, education and high IQs which also doesn't make one intelligent.

I'm a liberal, and they often annoy the **** out of me because they, too, are given to parroting and lack original thought. But they are far more epistemically driven, even at their worst, than the right...as demonstrated by the current climate. And you.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:02 AM

37,198 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And so .... the conservative attack on education continues.
Relentlessly.

You'd think that those who want English to be the official language of the country would learn it themselves.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
How do your beloved vets feel about you making light of PTSD? I can assure you, smart people don't do that. They also don't parrot the latest buzz-words because other stupid people are saying it.

You think that makes you intelligent. That's precious, but not very smart. One need only look at our government to see that is not true lol.

Mmmwell, it also shows they can retain information, like people with degrees, education and high IQs which also doesn't make one intelligent.

I'm a liberal, and they often annoy the **** out of me because they, too, are given to parroting and lack original thought. But they are far more epistemically driven, even at their worst, than the right...as demonstrated by the current climate. And you.
When drilling my teeth, my local dentist hit a nerve, explaining to me that her kids were taught baseball by first mastering T-Ball.

It pained me when she explained to me what T-Ball was.

It still pains me.

I hate it when kids are taught how to swat a dead fly.

I don't like what liberalism has done to this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs8aRZntp6c

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-10-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 11:44 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thank you for giving me this example for my friend, Bad Debt.

Let’s say he wasn’t just using this as an example, and he made the same statement, only cutting out the beginning and starting the sentence with the word “Why”, and onward.

I have many reasons to think he would be wrong. But he has given me no reason to believe that he does not believe what he wrote. I think that there are people out there that fully believe that. So calling him a liar, would be an immature response. A mature response would be to list some of the reasons why I think he is wrong.
I really don’t care how anyone spells or talks. It is the individual’s responsibility to put his best foot forward in life. Poor grammar and spelling do create a first impression to many Americans. Try misspelling words or using poor grammar on a business resume and see how far it gets you.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I really don’t care how anyone spells or talks. It is the individual’s responsibility to put his best foot forward in life. Poor grammar and spelling do create a first impression. Try misspelling words or using poor grammar on a business resume and see how far it gets you.
You are right. I have not said otherwise. I feel the same way.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm a liberal who treasures the English language. I don't appreciate stupid spelling errors.
I also really treasure the English language and have always been an avid reader. I was reading at college level by the time I was in the second grade - I really, really, really love the written word.

That's why it was such an eye opening experience for me to raise a son with dyslexia. Not only did he have severe dyslexia, he also had a huge vocabulary and was very attuned to languages (this is all still true). He is in his thirties now and has learned to speak and understand several different languages, including Korean which he swears is such a different (and far less complex) system than English that he has no problems with it at all.

But he cannot spell worth a flip. I recall when I realized the depth of this black hole I was trying to help him out of: When he was in the first grade, I was trying to help him learn spelling words. And it was crazy because sometimes he'd get a word right, and then the very next instant spell it wrong. And these weren't complex words. I was nearly in tears every week trying to help him. Finally he was diagnosed with dyslexia and the doctor said, "Let me put it to you this way. You may have to see a word once to grasp the spelling. The average person may need to see a word five times. Your son needs to see that word FIVE HUNDRED TIMES." Now - he knew what the word meant. He knew how to say it, how to use it in a sentence, but he just could not spell it.

Since I don't know peoples' struggles, and since I have lived and learned that intelligence often transcends spelling and grammar, I don't generally make a big deal out of it. Unless of course, it's in a post or meme or something like that that's criticizing someone else's intelligence, ESPECIALLY if it's criticizing someone's spelling or grammar! Katie, bar the door!

It still bugs me, but I generally keep it to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies