U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM

32,738 posts, read 27,689,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who in their right mind would voluntarily disclose their status as an illegal immigrant on a Census form?

Census requires people to self identify. It does not validate.

How many people, legal or otherwise, do not respond to Census or lie?
exactly. This whole census argument is a waste of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM

42,727 posts, read 28,558,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If you believe everything your government agencies say publicly thats fine. Me not so much.
All that is required for an I-9 is a DL and SS. Illegals use false documents all the time.

Not sure what makes you think I'm really concerned. Just commenting on a post same as you, pointing out how the article doesn't actually say specifically they will not hire illegals but skirts around the issue using vague language.
From the article:

"Census officials subsequently denied that they have any plans to hire anyone who is in the country illegally.

"The Census Bureau only intends to temporarily hire permanent legal residents to act as translators," said Michael Cook, a division chief in the agency's public information office."

Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM

63,948 posts, read 44,116,692 times
Quote:
Did ya'll miss the part about the non citizen loop hole and non citizen encompassing anyone who is not a citizen. That would include illegal aliens.
Nothing specifically states they will not hire illegal aliens. Often its what is not said.
And not a dang thing says they intend to do so.

Spouses and children of those with work visas are legal residents but cannot legally work in the US. The so called loophole may allow them to do so on a temporary basis, for Census. There are millions with legal residency status from all over the world that may qualify for this special purpose initiative.

Not all non- citizens are illegal immigrants.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:34 PM

63,948 posts, read 44,116,692 times
Quote:
exactly. This whole census argument is a waste of time.
Strikes me as an intentional diversion / more raw meat to the base.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:41 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,963,528 times
Quote:
Did ya'll miss the part about the non citizen loop hole and non citizen encompassing anyone who is not a citizen. That would include illegal aliens.
Nothing specifically states they will not hire illegal aliens. Often its what is not said.
Yes, it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You need to go back to English class and take a course in reading comprehension. Or stop with the clickbait threads. Per the article: "Census officials subsequently denied that they have any plans to hire anyone who is in the country illegally.

"The Census Bureau only intends to temporarily hire permanent legal residents to act as translators," said Michael Cook, a division chief in the agency's public information office." Permanent legal residents aren't illegals. There is a difference. And considering the right's hate for people who don't speak English, they desperately need them, since Confederate flag waving Trump supporters rarely speak languages besides English.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 PM

20,698 posts, read 11,829,958 times
Quote:
Did you miss the part where they hum hawed around and said non-citizen includes anyone who is not a citizen.
Did they say specifically they would not hire illegal aliens?

"THE CENSUS BUREAU IS pursuing a legal loophole that its officials believe would allow them to temporarily hire non-U.S. citizens ...........and to hire people for up to 60 days on an emergency basis. Temporarily employed translators fall under a so-called "excepted service provision," which gives each agency wide latitude to set its own standards for hiring based on what specific job it's trying to fill..................
Asked whether the bureau planned to employ people living in the country illegally, a spokesman said, "There is nowhere in our legal flexibilities that refers to people we could possibly hire as 'illegal.'" When pressed as to whether it's an option under the current law, the spokesman repeatedly demurred, saying that the term "noncitizen" encompasses "anyone who is not a U.S. citizen.""

You think they will be straight forward and come out and say yes we may hire those here illegally?
Yes, they did say they would not hire illegals.
This is from the link again:

Census officials subsequently denied that they have any plans to hire anyone who is in the country illegally.

"The Census Bureau only intends to temporarily hire permanent legal residents to act as translators," said Michael Cook, a division chief in the agency's public information office.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
From the article:

"Census officials subsequently denied that they have any plans to hire anyone who is in the country illegally.

"The Census Bureau only intends to temporarily hire permanent legal residents to act as translators," said Michael Cook, a division chief in the agency's public information office."
Yeah I read it. And it also goes on to say, well what I posted earlier about twice. Dont you think its a bit vaguely contradictory?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:30 PM

42,727 posts, read 28,558,926 times
Quote:
Yeah I read it. And it also goes on to say, well what I posted earlier about twice. Dont you think its a bit vaguely contradictory?
I think the Census Bureau says they will not hire anyone who is not legally in the United States. There's nothing contradictory or ambiguous about that sentence.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes, it did.
so "subsequently deny plans to "= we will not hire anyone in the country illegally?
and "only intends to" =we will not hire anyone in the country illegally?
"allow to temporally hire non citizens....the term non citizen refers to anyone in the country who is not a citizen"

We will just have to agree to disagree. I see it as cryptic you see it as definitive.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM

77,784 posts, read 99,137,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The article makes no mention of illegals. You do realize that someone can be legally in the United States and not be a citizen correct??
I am sure you are correct; i was thinking the same thing: non citizens can be legal green card holders or illegals. Let us hope whomever they hire will be legal to live in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies