Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 07:59 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times

Advertisements

Gun debate in a nutshell:

I have guns.

You don't want me to have guns.

I won't let you take them.

Your move.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Gun law is US state based. Certain states in certain part of the country are still wild. Can you please be specific?

That is his personal opinion and with reported PTSD he is not authorized gun possession. But please let's not get into medical disclosure as that is a violation of personal information. Have your nut cases via HIPPA.

Have you ever bought "the type of guns they use in the Army"? What type of guns do they use in the Army? Has anyone ever explained "assault riffle"? Probably not as it is a media term.
So you have superior gun knowledge compared to someone like me who has never even seen a gun. But we non gun people are not all stupid. Those who carry guns around on them need to stay in their own states--I know there are laws about that. We do not want you walking around with guns on our streets and in our stores. There is no need.

Just because you "want" to have guns doesn't mean you need to have guns. But I think people who live in places where it is dangerous, should be allowed to have a gun. No, of course I have never bought" the type of guns they use in the Army" and I don't know what you are talking about. But we who do not have guns are affected by what we see, many needless shootings. People are becoming afraid to go to malls and movie theaters, any open place. These people have their rights too.

As I said, my grandfather had a rifle. I never knew him but I have a picture of him with his beloved gun, standing over a buck he had killed in the woods of Vermont. I respect that kind of gun use. I do not respect those who seem to be addicted to guns and need more and more, carry guns around with them on the streets of our cities and towns. It's not the wild west anymore. They have created a gun culture and it's attracting our kids and the mentally ill. We have a right to feel safe from your gun culture.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But it isn't the same everywhere. There are places where a gun is needed, certain states in certain parts of the country that are still wild. They still have guns in Vermont. But Vermont is low on the list of mass shootings. I think each state should make its own gun laws but I don't think any state should let people have guns without getting a background check. Might weed out some of these nutcases.

I also don't think anyone needs military style guns. My ex was in Viet Nam and he is very anti gun. Says they are for wars, not for keeping around the house or carrying around with you. He has serious PTSD and who knows what would happen if he got anywhere near a gun.

If you want a gun for self defense, you should be good enough at it to not need the type of guns they use in the Army.
"Background checks" are delfacto registration.

I know of no instance where registration has not lead to confiscation.

There are 2 ways you can be made to do something:
Persuasion or force.

If you are an armed citizen vs a disarmed subject you cannot be forced.

As to "Army guns"

Why is it that once I was Medically retired from the Marine Corps I am not trusted with the same weapons I was issued the day before?
Oh, and "Army guns" have not been generally available since 1986.

I love in a relatively wild place, why even my electricity needs to come from solar!
But your better look at the crime stats for Chicago (a gun control utopia) and compare IT'S mass shootings (which for some reason the liberal media ignores) with the rest of the country put together before you start deciding WHERE people need to be armed!

Quote:
Let your pistol be your constant companion on your walks.

Thomas Jefferson.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times
Eventually, there will probably have to be forced disclosure of PHI for gaining gun possession as an effort to ferret out mental health issues. This will allow for a majority, without such issues, to retain possession.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
"We buy guns for protection yes?"
no.
we buy guns just like we buy stocks.
during Obama, they appreciate.
during Trump, they depreciate.
now is time to buy low then sell high.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So you have superior gun knowledge compared to someone like me who has never even seen a gun. But we non gun people are not all stupid. Those who carry guns around on them need to stay in their own states--I know there are laws about that. We do not want you walking around with guns on our streets and in our stores. There is no need.

Just because you "want" to have guns doesn't mean you need to have guns. But I think people who live in places where it is dangerous, should be allowed to have a gun. No, of course I have never bought" the type of guns they use in the Army" and I don't know what you are talking about. But we who do not have guns are affected by what we see, many needless shootings. People are becoming afraid to go to malls and movie theaters, any open place. These people have their rights too.

As I said, my grandfather had a rifle. I never knew him but I have a picture of him with his beloved gun, standing over a buck he had killed in the woods of Vermont. I respect that kind of gun use. I do not respect those who seem to be addicted to guns and need more and more, carry guns around with them on the streets of our cities and towns. It's not the wild west anymore. They have created a gun culture and it's attracting our kids and the mentally ill. We have a right to feel safe from your gun culture.
Actually you don't.

But we DO have the right to BE SAFE from CRIMINALS who..... (Drumroll please).... DO NOT FOLLOW LAWS and try to hurt people!

There have been quite a few instances where armed citizens have stopped mass shootings.
Even more where people defend themselves.

And unfortunately examples where those legally licensed to concealed carry were unconstitutionally disarmed and gave their lives as human shields to save others. I would much prefer that they could of fought back!

Also police officers wrongly shoot exponentially more people in error than armed citizens.

Why do you want the weak and disabled to be at mercy of those who want to do them harm?
(I am handicapped as a result of my military service, and vulnerable to those who might wish to do me physical harm. Legally concealed carrying allows me the means to defend myself from those who might wish to harm me whom I can no longer handle face to face due to my injuries.)

Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
I had a large group (over 20 people) of rowdy drunks driving by the road to my remote cabin in VT last month. They were firing guns off at random into the woods along the road (my woods). I know at least one of them is a felon. The police said they were too busy to come out when I called them. That's why I keep a modern rifle with some magazine capacity. Oh and this group isn't a random bunch of strangers. it's a weekly at times occurrence and they hate my guts because I've posted my property and don't want them there on what is a private road.

I posted this on another thread but it got little attention as partisan politics drowned out any real facts: https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf...IexAkBWzKzLvoQ

In short this isn't the simple issue people want it to be. I concluded some time ago this is a result of many factors within our society and culture. First and foremost is the stress levels in our country. They're astronomical compared to other western nations. Consider the underlying causes: nearly half the population makes too little for basic expenses, most are living paycheck to paycheck, there is no job security, most people hate their workplaces, there is little to no vacation time to escape it and enjoy life, there is little sick leave for most people so people routinely go to work sick or injured, healthcare access including for mental healthcare is poor, bullying is widely tolerates in our society from childhood through adulthood, we have a media 24/7 trying to divide people into two camps and telling them to hate each other, our country is beyond money-centric to an extreme level, both parents must frequently work to get by so children don't get the benefit of having a parent at home when they are, and I could go on. Gun laws aren't going to address these underlying causes. It's more a wonder to me that we don't have more of these massacres.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegain4u View Post
We buy guns for protection yes? but from who? Black people, Arabs, muslims, white kids? are they the number one cause of death in America??? NOPE! number one cause of death is... ( drum roll) Heart Disease!!!!! Yet no one protects themselves from dying of a heart attack or cancer but we get guns to protect ourselves from an enemy that is so far out of reach. when the real enemy is on your plate!! Lay off the sauce!!! eat veggies, go outside get some vitamin D, drink tea. Protect. yourself. Your gonna die from that 6 piece dinner from Popeyes WAYYY before you die from a gunshot from Steve because his parents shut off his playstation account because he didnt finish his homework..
Yes your post is rambling to the point of being hard to comprehend.

Anyways your assumptions are entirely wrong. We buy guns for many reasons, self-defense being only one of them. In fact many guns make a poor choice for self defense and might be designed for other purposes.

There is hunting - approximately 11 million engage in the sport.
There is collecting - I personally have a military surplus collection.
There is investing - the same milsurp weapons (and other rare weapons) above are also retained for investment purposes. They probably beat the S&P 500.
There is sport shooting - one of the fastest growing sports in America right now, particularly on high school campuses
There is just simple target shooting - you can go to a gun range and simply set up a target at a range and punch holes in paper with your family, and yes it is a family sport.

EDIT: OK I just saw the OP's post in another forum about "roman noodles". Troll warning, not sure if this is a legitimate post or user....answer at your own discretion.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"Background checks" are delfacto registration.

I know of no instance where registration has not lead to confiscation !
Umm, so you are saying millions of guns have been confiscated as we speak??? So tell me why I and my friends still have our weapons? it seems you favor no background checks? So you have no issue with felons and mentally ill people buying weapons. Sir you are part of the problem

But you will not read or respond to my post

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-09-2019 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegain4u View Post
We buy guns for protection yes? but from who? Black people, Arabs, muslims, white kids? are they the number one cause of death in America??? NOPE! number one cause of death is... ( drum roll) Heart Disease!!!!! Yet no one protects themselves from dying of a heart attack or cancer but we get guns to protect ourselves from an enemy that is so far out of reach. when the real enemy is on your plate!! Lay off the sauce!!! eat veggies, go outside get some vitamin D, drink tea. Protect. yourself. Your gonna die from that 6 piece dinner from Popeyes WAYYY before you die from a gunshot from Steve because his parents shut off his playstation account because he didnt finish his homework..
We buy guns for numerous reasons, not just for defense. By the way, I imagine that people's races or nationality has nothing to do with buying guns for "defense." That makes no sense at all.

We buy guns for hunting, for defense against others who my harm us, for defense against predators (humans or not), for collecting, for target shooting (long range or not) or plinking, and on and on, or just because we want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies