Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But it isn't the same everywhere. There are places where a gun is needed, certain states in certain parts of the country that are still wild. They still have guns in Vermont. But Vermont is low on the list of mass shootings. I think each state should make its own gun laws but I don't think any state should let people have guns without getting a background check. Might weed out some of these nutcases.

I also don't think anyone needs military style guns. My ex was in Viet Nam and he is very anti gun. Says they are for wars, not for keeping around the house or carrying around with you. He has serious PTSD and who knows what would happen if he got anywhere near a gun.

If you want a gun for self defense, you should be good enough at it to not need the type of guns they use in the Army.
Believe it or not Vermont has some of the most liberal gun laws in the nation, so there are lots of guns there.

Just because some guns look sort of "military," it does not mean that they are. Military guns such as the M16 and such can be fired fully automatic like a machine gun, while what you see as a military gun in the private sector does not. You can take just about any .22LR gun and make it look "military"

If you listen to the news media, any rifle that looks like an AR-15 or similar is a military style gun

Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 AM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
I know poster Happy in Wyoming is an intellectual and I respect that Threerun likes to hunt. That's fine and I have nothing against hunting.

I think the point the OP was trying to make is that too many people have guns just for the sake of having guns--or for some reason that doesn't make much sense. They will say that they "need" a gun for protection. Most of the time that means they "need" a gun so they can shoot someone.

I realize how large and varied this country is and that someone can live on a large ranch and need to shoot a venomous snake and that a lot of us live in small towns or suburbs that are safe and there is zero need for a gun.

No problem with someone having hunting rifles or some sort of gun for protection if they live in a wild area, but these assault rifles? Carrying guns on your body as you walk around in a store? And other situations where a gun isn't necessary. Seems that some like to wear guns just to feel more macho. No other reason.

And if we're too lenient with guns, they get into the hands of the mentally ill. Have a gun if you're sane and if you have a need for it, but otherwise, aren't there other things you could be doing than obsessing over guns?

Where I live guns are rare except for some hunting and I think there are shooting ranges. So it's a hobby because no one around here really needs to kill a deer or a rabbit to stave off starvation. But that's still okay with me. We sometimes have bears walking around in our backyards and gardens but we don't get guns and kill them. We know enough to not leave food out and we learn their habits so we can avoid them.

Some other first world countries allow guns but they are used wisely and with respect. That's how it used to be here. And no one had the type of guns that the military uses. My grandfather had a hunting rifle. It didn't used to be a big deal--just rifles mostly. Seems to me that would be enough.
Americans have ALWAYS had the types of guns the military uses (though the numbers were reduced due to government shenanigans in 1934, 1968, and 1986). That is the entire purpose of the second amendment - small arms parity with the government. It’s not about deer hunting and target shooting.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
2 big men tried to kick down our back door.
The cops showed up 45 min later.
Statistics apply to populations, not people.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
As a widow who lives alone most of the time I like having my gun for protection. "Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have one".

Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegain4u View Post
Yet no one protects themselves from dying of a heart attack or cancer but we get guns to protect ourselves from an enemy that is so far out of reach......

Start with false assumptions and you're doomed to reach false conclusions.

Americans buy $Billions worth of statins & BP meds each yr to protect against CAD and there's no shortage of nuts who think diet has something to do with cancer and adjust their foods accordingly.

By your statistical reasoning, we don't need an Army because we haven't been invaded in over 200 yrs.

The 2nd Amendment was added because the States feared a take-over by the Feds. We need guns to protect us from our own govt. That's why we need 20 round magazines-- because the Feds have them. Read the Declaration of Independence-- we have an obligation to revolt when the govt becomes too tyrannical....and if you're not over 60 y/o, you may not be aware of the relentless progression of things to that end.

BTW- speaking of statistics-- about 100 Americans die every day on our highways. You can see what affect strict drivers' license requirements can do.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I had a large group (over 20 people) of rowdy drunks driving by the road to my remote cabin in VT last month. They were firing guns off at random into the woods along the road (my woods). I know at least one of them is a felon. The police said they were too busy to come out when I called them. That's why I keep a modern rifle with some magazine capacity. Oh and this group isn't a random bunch of strangers. it's a weekly at times occurrence and they hate my guts because I've posted my property and don't want them there on what is a private road.

I posted this on another thread but it got little attention as partisan politics drowned out any real facts: https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf...IexAkBWzKzLvoQ

In short this isn't the simple issue people want it to be. I concluded some time ago this is a result of many factors within our society and culture. First and foremost is the stress levels in our country. They're astronomical compared to other western nations. Consider the underlying causes: nearly half the population makes too little for basic expenses, most are living paycheck to paycheck, there is no job security, most people hate their workplaces, there is little to no vacation time to escape it and enjoy life, there is little sick leave for most people so people routinely go to work sick or injured, healthcare access including for mental healthcare is poor, bullying is widely tolerates in our society from childhood through adulthood, we have a media 24/7 trying to divide people into two camps and telling them to hate each other, our country is beyond money-centric to an extreme level, both parents must frequently work to get by so children don't get the benefit of having a parent at home when they are, and I could go on. Gun laws aren't going to address these underlying causes. It's more a wonder to me that we don't have more of these massacres.
This is the only post that makes much sense to me. If you live in a remote cabin and you have to defend it.

But it's mostly about the stress levels in this country. If we lived 200 years ago or even 100 years ago, people weren't crazy like they are today. I don't even remember 50 years ago people standing on tall buildings and shooting at people, people rushing into a school and killing the kids. Times have really changed.

Canada allows guns but people aren't going around randomly killing people. They're starting to get a little bit of it, probably because they are stuck next to the US, a stressed out country with a lot of angry and mentally ill people. It's a problem in this country.

People here are so revved up compared to people in most other countries where they are more relaxed. Everything here is work-work-work and money-money-money. In places like Canada and the UK, the government actually helps people and gives them more time off, helps with the medicals bills and housing, unlike here where it's every man (and woman) for themselves. Competitive, tough it out, dog eat dog, got yours and don't care about anyone else.

That breeds anger and resentment. And people who have nothing see people who seem to have everything, this increasing the resentment and anger. Maybe some here get five weeks vacation to relax and unwind, but most people in this country do not. I don't know of any other country where people are pressured like this--maybe Japan--but Japan has a high suicide rate due to the pressures.

The founding fathers got a lot right (but don't quote Jefferson, remember he had slaves and he slept with them), but we were fighting a common enemy back then. Now we are fighting each other because along the way, something has gone wrong.

Background checks are still needed and threats to kill people should be taken seriously. I think certain types of guns need to be banned--but I am only going according to what I have read or heard because I don't know anything about guns except that too many people are using them to kill people.

And, of course, the argument that if some tyrannical government tries to take us over, your guns will save us, is just plain silly. You're not going to form a well regulated militia and fend off China or Russia or N. Korea or even our own government. That's a fantasy.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
There is no such thing as an assault weapon and there is absolutely no way to ban semi auto weapons without removing the 2nd.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegain4u View Post
We buy guns for protection yes? but from who? Black people, Arabs, muslims, white kids? are they the number one cause of death in America??? NOPE! number one cause of death is... ( drum roll) Heart Disease!!!!! Yet no one protects themselves from dying of a heart attack or cancer but we get guns to protect ourselves from an enemy that is so far out of reach. when the real enemy is on your plate!! Lay off the sauce!!! eat veggies, go outside get some vitamin D, drink tea. Protect. yourself. Your gonna die from that 6 piece dinner from Popeyes WAYYY before you die from a gunshot from Steve because his parents shut off his playstation account because he didnt finish his homework..

There are many reasons why someone buys a gun and they are not always about personal protection.

I think that you are a bit naive when it comes to the reasons why someone wishes to own a gun.

The thing is we have so many people that don't understand and fear guns and those are the types that get the most press as they push to ban them. They only see the bad that can come from guns and they think that anyone that wants to own guns have psychological problems at best and at worse a fantasy of mowing down attacking enemies.

The thing is I bet that every single ranting anti gun lunatic would be thankful if the you know what hit the fan and a person with a gun was nearby to protect them.

You speak of statistics OP but don't show any in your post so I would project one to you that 100% of law abiding gun owners are not seeking to shoot anyone because they know that even if they were placed into a life or death situation and were forced to use their firearm to save themselves or someone else that their lives would be turned upside down by the Police, the courts etc etc.. and even if the shooting was justified they could face jail time and the confiscation of their guns.

The point is if someone was banging on your door trying to get in to do you harm, I'm thinking of a mother with child and the guy at that door is her ex that is violating the restraining order, the Police are on the way but the door is starting give way. Would you remove this woman's right to defend herself?

Old 08-09-2019, 08:55 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Anyone else here still waiting on OP’s statistics which show we don’t need guns? Did I miss them?

The only thing I saw was a couple disjointed opinions.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
So you have superior gun knowledge compared to someone like me who has never even seen a gun. But we non gun people are not all stupid. Those who carry guns around on them need to stay in their own states--I know there are laws about that. We do not want you walking around with guns on our streets and in our stores. There is no need.

Just because you "want" to have guns doesn't mean you need to have guns. But I think people who live in places where it is dangerous, should be allowed to have a gun. No, of course I have never bought" the type of guns they use in the Army" and I don't know what you are talking about. But we who do not have guns are affected by what we see, many needless shootings. People are becoming afraid to go to malls and movie theaters, any open place. These people have their rights too.

As I said, my grandfather had a rifle. I never knew him but I have a picture of him with his beloved gun, standing over a buck he had killed in the woods of Vermont. I respect that kind of gun use. I do not respect those who seem to be addicted to guns and need more and more, carry guns around with them on the streets of our cities and towns. It's not the wild west anymore. They have created a gun culture and it's attracting our kids and the mentally ill. We have a right to feel safe from your gun culture.
The Constitution is the supreme law in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies